• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Can't Believe The Pokemon Company celebrated "Bidoof Day" with a Rick Astley song

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Recently,I've heard about something the Pokemon Company did and I'm really stunned that they did this. So,let's set the stage for this. A couple of days ago was for our Canadian readers,Canada Day. Nothing really wrong with that. Here's where the weirdness comes in. The Pokemon Company decided it would be a good idea to have something called "Bidoof Day." And,if you went to YouTube to see the video that they did for it,you'll be as shocked as I was.
They basically had a song about Bidoof done to the melody of "Never Going To Give You Up" by Rick Astley from the 1980's. Yeah,it's as strange as it sounds. It made my jaw drop when I first saw it. What really surprised me was that the esteemed CEO of this site,Tempest,didn't say anything about it here. If I were him,I'd probably be getting over the shock over seeing this.

Now,I know that a lot of people associate beavers with Canada since many of them live up there. They probably think Bidoof would probably be popular there and it possibly is. I don't know. But,this...rather stunned me. I don't know how Canadians feel about this so please,if you're Canadian,tell me. Especially if you're Tempest. I'm just amazed the Pokemon Company decided to do something like this. It make you wonder what they'll do next,have a ghost Pokemon day for Halloween? Come to think about it,I shouldn't give them any ideas. They just might do it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Pokemon fan, so this is the first time I've ever heard of Bidoof.

No one in Canada would be insulted by it though. It's not like we "own" beavers, and even if we did, making fun of them wouldn't be an insult to Canada. Even on July 1.

If anything, Pokemon fans were probably amused.

Personally I don't care either way since I'm not a fam
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I know that at least in the English fanbase Bidoof is considered one of the biggest meme Pokémon, pretty much the Pokémon version of a Rickroll. It generally is not what anyone is looking for, while at least more functional than the useless Pokémon like Magikarp, but is still kind of charming, in its own doofy way.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well,thank you,Tempest,DuskyPredator. I'm grateful that you two actually commented on this. I didn't think anyone would,so I'm happy about it. It's a shame I don't know how to link this to the video. You guys would probably get a kick out of it. It's not an insulting video but it's a silly one,and it's the good kind. Actually,Bidoof's not a bad Pokemon,Tempest. You should look it up. You'll probably like it. Yeah,it's beaver-like but it's cute.
As for you,Dusky Predator. I wonder something. What kind of Pokemon are popular in Australia? I'd like to know,so please tell me. There are a few Pokemon that look like Australian animals but I wonder,which Pokemon do Australians like?

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
As for you,Dusky Predator. I wonder something. What kind of Pokemon are popular in Australia? I'd like to know,so please tell me. There are a few Pokemon that look like Australian animals but I wonder,which Pokemon do Australians like?

I really probably could not tell you generalities. I don't think there is enough of a cultural identity around something like koalas in particular to care much about Komala, which really isn't that great. Nor Kangaskhan for kangaroos. I think that it is mostly the same suspects as other places.

I did do a quick Google search if there is an answer, and apparently from whatever they did to find an answer, they found Machamp to be popular, which is a bit of a weird conclusion. I can think maybe some element of sports being rather popular here for why it could be popular, but I am not really much of a sports person.

I myself have my own tastes, and especially fond of dark types, with among those I could tie to a national identity being Krookodile, crocodiles I think being popular.

Still weirded out that the Sword and Shield games, set in the Pokémon version of the UK, never included Snubbull despite it essentially being an English bulldog, and elements of English/Celtic fairy creatures like the fairy dog.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Well thank you,DuskyPredator. I didn't know that. I thought it might be different. Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1