• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you comfortable with watching anime on your PC?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flavius184

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Are you guys, for the most part, comfortable with viewing anime through a computer monitor? Or would you prefer to watch that stuff on your television? Since the the internet is now a commonplace to watch anime (via fansubs and legal streaming sites), I thought I'd ask this question.

Even though there isn't any other way to view anime on the net, I sometimes feel that having to watch it in the comfort of my living room would be a lot nicer. It also doesn't help that my monitor is fairly small and that I always have to boot my computer just to play the anime.

That's why I always yearn to have a certain fansub licensed and on DVD, just so that I can watch that same show on a bigger TV and in the comfort of my couch. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm ok with it as long as it's full screen on here. If I have access to a TV and a way to watch it on said TV, then I prefer to watch it on TV. Back when I was at school still, I preferred to watch anime on my computer since my TV was pretty small. My only DVD player at school was either my PS2 or my laptop and my computer offered a better viewing angle than my TV, so there I actually preferred my computer, even if it was a normal DVD. Mostly used my TV at school to play games and watch the election (it's a 19 inch, much smaller than the one at my house). I only prefer a TV if it's in a better viewing place than my computer.

For me, the biggest advantage to the computer is putting a set of head phones to it, which is partly why I don't mind it. I like the improved sound quality a good set of headphones offers. Back at school, my computer was turned on as soon as I woke up and didn't go off until I went to sleep, so starting it up just to watch anime was never really a concern. Mine starts up pretty fast anyway.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
While I'm comfortable either way, I would say for sure that I'd rather watch anime on my TV. It kinda gets me away from my computer when I can pop a DVD into the player and just relax in front of my TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Aikoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I prefer to watch anime on the TV because it's far too easy for me to get distracted on my laptop, especially since I love to multitask. It wouldn't take me long to find something else that I want to do on the computer besides anime and I'd have IM and Fiefox windows open in a heartbeat.

Also, like LuckySeven mentioned, I like to get away from the computer once in a while.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Only with fansubs, since I don't have the equipment needed to watch streaming Internet video on my television.

The only time I ever put anime DVD's (or any other DVD's) into my computer's DVD-ROM drive is to get screencaps. Or to watch the handful of Region 2 anime DVD's that I have, since I don't have a region free player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, this is the major reason why I'm not a big fan of the legal streaming sites. I can watch an episode or two on my laptop, but any more than that and not only is it uncomfortable, but it bothers my vision.

Netfilx has shown that it's possible to do streaming to your television, and I think this should be the next logical step the legal streaming sites should aim for. Until then, I'll stick with my 360 and my WD media player for any non-dvd anime watching I happen to do.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
I just recently got a 17.1" laptop, which makes watching anime much more enjoyable. Since I don't really have a constant access to TV while I'm at school, it helps a great deal. When I get a chance though, there's nothing like hooking up the PC to an HDTV or a projector through HDMI to watch it on big screen with no quality loss.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness for HDMI

Ever since I discovered what this was, I have yet to ever watch anything again on my laptop. My TV has basically become my new monitor because I also use it just to surf the web as well; I'm actually using it right now as I type this. I mean, why watch it on my 17" laptop when I can watch it on my 42" Vizio with surround sound? HDMI has to be in the top ten list of Greatest Inventions This Decade because I don't know how I would surf without it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm totally comfortable watching anime on my 24" LCD monitor. I have a new computer and high speed internet access so streaming is very smooth for me. Having said that, I'd always prefer to watch something on a TV screen, but if I'm into a series, I get so immersed in it I sort of "forget" where I am, anyway.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
No. My computer has a tiny little screen. However, it can be easily hooked up to my TV via S-Video connection. I'd like to upgrade to a better connection but for now it's an acceptable solution.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
I dont mind watching Anime on my computer. I bought a 24" monitor solely for that reason. Any show i get through crunchyroll or other internet sources, i watch on my computer. Now, once i get the box sets, i do play them on my TV, since it does have a larger screen.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
I don't mind watching it on my PC... but I "don't."

When I had a desktop I purchased a graphics card that had TV out so I could watch stuff on my television. I've got a HDTV and the primary reason that I purchased the laptop that I currently use is because it has HDMI out so i can easily hook it up to the big screen.

The PC is the primary way that I access all media from anime (Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu and other less honorable sources), Television/Movies (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Tv.com) and Music.

I suppose that technically I watch anime on my PC, but i'm always watching it in the living room on the best TV in the house that's hooked up to the second best speakers in the house (studio has the #1 set).
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm comfortable with that. My situation is the reverse of some of the above posters'. My TV is a 15-year old 51cm CRT screen sitting in a corner of the living room (at 3m distance, which means a very small viewing angle). My computer monitor is only a 19" LCD screen, but at a distance of 60cm, the viewing angle is way better than my TV's. Add to that the additional comfort of taking screenshots, looking up background info, a good chair, and the fact that the computer is always on anyway. So, yes, I'm comfortable watching anime on my PC.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
My computer is MUCH nicer than my TVs. I have two options for television-watching anime.

There's a TV that is almost older than me and has severe color issues hooked to a DVD player that barely works and tends to split the layers on the DVDs it plays, giving them all this really terrible blur effect.

And then there's my nicer 20-inch flatscreen whose built in DVD-player eats discs, so I have to watch stuff through a hooked-up PS2, which, being a PS2, doesn't show video as vividly and tends toward interlacing and rainbows on older stuff. Both of these options are fullscreen anyway, and most newer anime is widescreen, giving older and newer viewing options problems.

So I always try to watch on my PC, heh heh. Laughing It's a 17-inch widescreen beast with very nice speakers for a laptop. (Emphasis on "for a laptop," but I can always break out the Bose headphones if they're not doin' it for me.)

Actually, the best viewing option would be on my parents' TV. They have a large and sleek HDTV with one of those "enhanced" DVD players that are supposed to render DVD video closer to high definition or whatever. (I've seen the results, and I believe it.) Sadly, this is only when both of them are out of the house. I can't imagine getting away with watching Baccano! in front of them, and I nearly had a coronary the one time I tried to watch Death Note on the nice TV and only got to see the OP on the glorious HD monitor before my dad arrived home and asked what in the heck I was watching. Oh well. It was an awesome minute and a half.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Issues with DVD regions and differences between signal formats prohibit me from playing many of my DVDs on any hardware I have access to aside my PC. (I could instead use a little piece of software for my Playstation to override DVD regions for use with a television, but to lug the whole console downstairs and connect it would be a major inconvenience.)
Provided DVD producers correctly label the languages of the audio tracks on their discs, which ADV often don't, I can use my favourite software on my PC to automatically play an episode with the language settings of my choice whenever I insert a disc, skipping the copyright notice and company logos.
I can also run .srt files with any DVD automatically with a little bit of configuration. At present however I own only a single DVD lacking English subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7