• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
wuts your oppion on Gungrave??

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
i read the review and i think it looks somewhat entertaing mayb worth watching. but i wana kno wut u liked or disliked about it (if u have seen it ofcourse)
pingo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
i read the review and i think it looks somewhat entertaing mayb worth watching. but i wana kno wut u liked or disliked about it (if u have seen it ofcourse)

I thought it rocked:)

I was not very interested after I heard it was based of a crappy PS2 game from SEGA.
But it's really good.

It's about two friends(Brandon and Harry) who joins a crime syndicate. It's about their struggles with freindship and the costs of the rise to power.
The series betrayel is very cynical, and kind of reminds me of Jin-Roh.

It also has sci-fi and monsters and stuff, but the best parts are defintely when it sticks to the crime genre.
It's a great anime, yet strange to imagine that this is the same guys as does who made the very funny Trigun:-D
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
A similar thread was made a few weeks ago. Here is the link.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Yea that thread is one I made not to long ago and because of it I decide to buy the first two volumes. So far I have only had the chance to see the first two episodes and I am very pleased with this series. I like the premises and I like the flow of the series, also something that caught me off guard.........The music is actually very good, I had very very low expectations for this show in the musical department, but so far I find it very suiting. So my opinion, rent or buy the first volume and see what you think.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. Thanks to everyone in the other thread, your feedback was very much appriecated, and has led me to another series that has some promise.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

Clean up your grammar before you continue posting. Stuff like this will not be tolerated much longer.

And personally, I strongly disliked Gungrave for taking a somewhat likable (if not glaringly average and underwhelming) mafia story and throwing in some ridiculous zombie monster story elements and a completely dull and unlikable zombie main character for the latter half of the series, who develops little beyond the fact that he's...a vengeful zombie! Not to mention the fact that they built up a surprisingly effective cast of supporting characters, only to piss them away as lame monsters-of-the-week later on, giving them super zombie monster powers that...hell, didn't even match their characters at all. And the ending, ugh. Calling it anticlimactic is being nice. spoiler[You come back from the dead to exact revenge on a guy who killed you, killed the woman you loved, and killed every single person in your life you ever cared about, you finally reach him...and you laugh and act like best buds!? Sorry, no, while this tripe may work for other "quest for vengeance" stories, it does not work here. Gee Brandon, you sure cared about Maria to become best buds again with the guy who ordered her murder. Raging flake.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
2Real wrote:

Clean up your grammar before you continue posting. Stuff like this will not be tolerated much longer.

And personally, I strongly disliked Gungrave for taking a somewhat likable (if not glaringly average and underwhelming) mafia story and throwing in some ridiculous zombie monster story elements and a completely dull and unlikable zombie main character for the latter half of the series, who develops little beyond the fact that he's...a vengeful zombie! Not to mention the fact that they built up a surprisingly effective cast of supporting characters, only to piss them away as lame monsters-of-the-week later on, giving them super zombie monster powers that...hell, didn't even match their characters at all. And the ending, ugh. Calling it anticlimactic is being nice. spoiler[You come back from the dead to exact revenge on a guy who killed you, killed the woman you loved, and killed every single person in your life you ever cared about, you finally reach him...and you laugh and act like best buds!? Sorry, no, while this tripe may work for other "quest for vengeance" stories, it does not work here. Gee Brandon, you sure cared about Maria to become best buds again with the guy who ordered her murder. Raging flake.]

definately.

I couldn't agree more.

it was a very good series up to around episode (17/18? before he goes after the main members of the syndicate)

the series is very good until he gets his uber powers, when he was human he was just very skilled and had a cool atmoshpheric thing going for him, as a necro dude he looked ridiculous, big hat, HUGE shoulders, massive hands and a coffin far too small for himself thus completely removing the whole idea behind it.

I was actually far more interested in seeing what happened with Mika than brandon and she got far too little screen time for her to really develop as anything more than a helpless generic anime girl.

spoiler[also check the last episode again, when the ceiling falls on brandon and he lifts it up on his back...he has 2 arms not one...]
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
... God, I don't wanna *can't* comment anymore (I must've written like a dozen pages on GUNGRAVE's content over and over again... I should put all that stuff up on a friggin' site somewhere Shocked )... wait, here's my reply, we had that thread a while back (a long while)

I might as well put it in here as a response for anyone else reading:

*contains spoilers...*

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19054

(... how the hell do I link threads anyway... do I have to logout first?)

As for what Hentai4me said, wow, I didn't notice that... I'm in the process of watching again, so I'll look out for it

(It's possible that his empty sleeve made it look that way though)

As for the unrealism... uhh... the action was kind of outlandish from the start, so I didn't really see the problem...

Same goes for TRIGUN
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
As for what Hentai4me said, wow, I didn't notice that... I'm in the process of watching again, so I'll look out for it

(It's possible that his empty sleeve made it look that way though)

I checked it again, her definately has 2 arms because his sleeve is pulled out of the way and you can see it is flesh coloured. so two flesh coloured things pushing him up rather than one, and it was not harry's arm either.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ACTUALLY, I went back and saw it last night (forwarded through)

There were actually 3-4 scenes

Two of them were when we see his back, the other one is the one you were talking about

Someone must've miscommunicated the info and the two teams working ran into inconsistency... it was edited together in a way I didn't notice though... DAMN, I was hoping that I would see it first >_> (I was actually looking if they were gonna pull the switch-a-roo)

Anyway, it happens
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1