• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime title request

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActiveX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Instead of just going out and buying everything labeled as anime, I am looking for anime that resembles anime I have watched already. Could anyone recommend any anime that resembles these animes I have watched?:

(1)Last EXILE
(2)Samurai X
(3)Pilot Candidate (Candidate for Goddess)
(4)Rurouni Kenshin (series)
(5)Hellsing
(6)Appleseed (DVD movie) I bought this and came back looking for new movies the next day and then there was the "Director's Edition" I was slightly PO'd about that Sad
(7)Chobits

anyways, These anime are in my top 10. Any other anime's that resemble these, could you toss their titles in here so I can plan a trip to AniMax in memphis? Twisted Evil
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
You may want to try X (TV). I found Appleseed (the movie) to be somewhat similar in terms of story, only replace all the high tech stuff with magic and the supernatural.

It's basically about a guy who has to choose his path of whether to join one of two sides, the Dragons of Heaven and the Dragons of Earth.

Within choosing a side, he will either save mankind and leave the world in their hands, or save the earth, but destroy mankind so it can heal.

Each side has 7 other Dragons (8 total for each), and the whole series is an action/drama that is wonderfully written.

In addition to the overall drama, the series has an ongoing theme of fate and destiny, which to me is a little clichéd, but is well executed in this series in particular.

The animation is excellent for a TV series, the music is epically (as in 'epic,' not a mispelling of 'especially' Razz) fitting for each scene, the characters are all empathically likeable (even the "villians"), and the dub is especially good, if dubs are your thing.

Overall, I gave the series a Masterpiece rating.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
For sci-fi stuff, you might try Fafner and Planetes. Both are competely different from each other. Fafner is like Pilot Candidate in that they're mecha shows with several pilots and lots of teen angst, but Fafner is a lot better. Actually, you'd probably want to try Neon Genesis Evangelion too, although Eva is a lot darker than Fafner or Pilot Candidate. Planetes takes a more realistic look at science fiction, such that it even got attention from NASA. It's not a big epic or anything, but it's really good.

If you like Hellsing, then the next obvious vampire anime choice would be Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Oddly, Bloodlust has quite a bit less blood and gore than the first one. This one isn't about vampires, but Chrono Crusade is a really good series. It takes Japanese interpreted pseudo-Christianity with lots of demons and guns, and throws in a bit of comedy (mostly at the beginning). It gets really good toward the end. It doesn't take any huge turns halfway through like some series do (My-Hime, Kiddy Grade), but the mood at the end is completely different from the mood at the beginning.

Chobits? You can do better than Chobits. Try Tenchi Muyo or Love Hina.

And for one last personal recommendation that isn't necessarily like the ones you listed, watch Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. High school comedy plus mercenary mecha action. Full Metal Panic! is the only series that I've purchased without having seen any of it at all before buying the first two volumes. I can safely say that FMP is now my favorite series.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
If I were you I would just select a title of the Top 50 list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ActiveX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Vampire Hunter D (the original) and Lensman was the first anime's I have ever seen. As for Eva, I have seen several episodes and it looked good although, the main character was a bit whiney. Almost worse than Tidas in FFX. Whiney characters sometimes ruin it for me Confused

I thought about getting FLCL as well. I have a few AMV's of it and I thought about watching it. Just wish some DVD's would comout out in my area without me having to go to Animax in Memphis...

I think I could actually put Chobits somewhere in my Top 10. I mean, creativity, humor, a quick arc at the end that makes you think its going to have a sad ending only to snatch you right back.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
If you like historical swordplay, try Samurai Champloo or Otogi Zoshi, both are above average. Other than that, why not try something totally new? Paranoia Agent is great, you can watch it on CN if you like or Genshiken, a series about otakus.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
ActiveX wrote:
Instead of just going out and buying everything labeled as anime, I am looking for anime that resembles anime I have watched already. Could anyone recommend any anime that resembles these animes I have watched?:

(1)Last EXILE
(2)Samurai X
(3)Pilot Candidate (Candidate for Goddess)
(4)Rurouni Kenshin (series)
(5)Hellsing
(6)Appleseed (DVD movie) I bought this and came back looking for new movies the next day and then there was the "Director's Edition" I was slightly PO'd about that Sad
(7)Chobits

anyways, These anime are in my top 10. Any other anime's that resemble these, could you toss their titles in here so I can plan a trip to AniMax in memphis? Twisted Evil

Of those series that you have listed, I've seen only Chobits and Hellsing. Chobits is also in my top 10 right now, but was a bit disappointing because of excessive fillers. Hellsing was still a good series, but it was even more disappointing because spoiler[there was no character development or growth].

Two series I would recommend are Elfen Lied and Chrno Crusade.

Elfen Lied is like a violent version of Chobits. The character, Nyu, is almost exactly like Chii(in personality), at least in the first episode. Besides that, the blood and gore content in the first few minutes of the first episode puts the entire Hellsing series to shame in that respect(it hardly had any in my opinion). Elfen Lied isn't all about the bloody violence and nudity, though. The series supposedly uses the violence effectively and is not totally pointless and mindless like some people might think. This is the opinion of numerous reviews I have read. I have only watched the highly enjoyable first episode so far.

Chrno Crusade is somewhat similar to Hellsing in that the characters work for a religious organization and hunt demons. The series is a bit weird in that it seems to mix in fan-service, comedy, and drama together in a haphazard way. I've only watched four episodes, but so far that hasn't worked against it. It's actually very amusing and throws me off guard. It has some pretty good action and I like the relationship between the two main characters, Chrono and Rosette.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
ActiveX wrote:

(5)Hellsing

In the vein of the cloaked dude with guns 'n strange powers your could try Eat-Man '98 (anime#144) or TriGun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1