• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, thank you very much for your answer, abunai. ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully someone could answer this here, I don't feel its worth posting as a topic in the Music forums, so here it is:

Does anyone know the names of the members of the Japanese pop group YeLLOW Generation? And, if by any chance can you provide a bit of information on the lovely trio?

I read a bit about them on Wiki, however I don't quite trust Wikipedia, so I'd like confirmation on their names, which are supposedly Yuki, Yuko, and Hitomi. Confirmation on this is all I really need but like I mentioned, if possible any additional information on them would be nice. Thanks. Smile
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, according to the google translation of their official site their names are Yuko, Snow, and Mi Human. I think Snow = Hitomi, but I'll leave this one to someone who speaks Japanese...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Hopefully someone could answer this here, I don't feel its worth posting as a topic in the Music forums, so here it is:

Does anyone know the names of the members of the Japanese pop group YeLLOW Generation? And, if by any chance can you provide a bit of information on the lovely trio?

I read a bit about them on Wiki, however I don't quite trust Wikipedia, so I'd like confirmation on their names, which are supposedly Yuki, Yuko, and Hitomi. Confirmation on this is all I really need but like I mentioned, if possible any additional information on them would be nice. Thanks. Smile

It's wise of you not to trust Wikipedia, but in this case, they would appear to be correct. The group's official website (www.yellowgeneration.net) lists the members as:

* Yuki, born 1982-02-09
* Yuuko, born 1981-11-20
* Hitomi, born 1985-07-10

- abunai
DerekTheRed, letting you play with translation software is like handing a child a box of matches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
DerekTheRed, letting you play with translation software is like handing a child a box of matches.

What can I say? I'm curious like a cat, that's why they call me whiskers.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed: Yuki means Snow in Japanese.

abunai: Thanks a lot. This information was essential in an article I'm working so it's greatly appreciated. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
* Yuuko, born 1981-11-20

A small correction: the official site seems to adopt the original Hepburn instead of wapuro for the romanization of ユウコ.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I'm curious like a cat

Nope, I'm sure you're not. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
* Yuuko, born 1981-11-20

A small correction: the official site seems to adopt the original Hepburn instead of wapuro for the romanization of ユウコ.

So it seems. Doesn't sit right by me, but if that's how they want to do it, then I suppose it's official. "Yuko" it is.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I'm curious like a cat

Hmph. You know what happened to the curious cat?

- abunai
I have enough room to swing a cat. And enough rope, too.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
You know what happened to the curious cat?

Fixing ANN's Encyclopedia 24/7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the Encyclopedia, perhaps you should add this information to YeLLOW Generation's page. Smile
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
This is not really a question about anime, but it's something that obtruded on my notice while watching anime, even though I've counted only three so far. They are men who use the first person pronoun "boku": Muruta Azrael of Gundam Seed, Hikaru Tsurugi of Key the Metal Idol, and Creed Diskence of Black Cat. They are all clearly young and energetic, but they are also obviously adults. They are all also obviously mentally unstable sociopaths with an obsession of some sort. Is this some kind of social stigma, or did I happen to notice three instances of coincidences?

On a side note, the one adult woman who uses this first person pronoun is pretty normal.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
This is not really a question about anime, but it's something that obtruded on my notice while watching anime, even though I've counted only three so far. They are men who use the first person pronoun "boku": Muruta Azrael of Gundam Seed, Hikaru Tsurugi of Key the Metal Idol, and Creed Diskence of Black Cat. They are all clearly young and energetic, but they are also obviously adults. They are all also obviously mentally unstable sociopaths with an obsession of some sort. Is this some kind of social stigma, or did I happen to notice three instances of coincidences?

On a side note, the one adult woman who uses this first person pronoun is pretty normal.

Eh, no. You've got that wrong.

Let's take the guys first.

The personal pronoun 僕 (boku), like all Japanese personal pronouns, isn't one. In fact, all the words that Japanese uses for personal pronouns originally meant something else, and have been pressed into use as pronouns -- something that isn't really a part of original Japanese usage. That's right, no pronouns -- but nouns which act as pronouns.

In the case of 僕 (boku), this word originally meant "manservant or lackey". That is, it was a subservient word used to describe oneself -- the equivalent of saying "your humble servant" instead of "I".

Today, boku is the male usage for humble or subservient speech, or for boys/young men or men who are lower in the social hierarchy than the person they are speaking to. It is also somehow associated with the 坊っちゃん (bocchan) type, the well-bred young man from a good family (often moneyed). A good example of this would be Ishida Uryuu from Bleach.

Because such types sometimes appear as villains or at least temporary bad guys, you may have heard boku used a lot in these circumstances. Pampered rich kid who has it in for the protagonist? He'll either be a loudmouth who calls himself 俺 (ore, the boastul male pronoun), or he'll be the smarmy well-bred type who uses boku.

So much for the boys.

Now, as for females using boku? Well, there are two instances of this. The first is females who are talking to young boys. If a woman talks to a small boy whose name she doesn't know, she will sometimes call him boku, as if it were a personal name -- because it is standing in for the unknown personal name, just as it might stand in for a (nonexistent) personal pronoun.

So a mother, a daycare worker, or someone in a department store talking to a little boy who has gotten lost... they would call the boy boku.

But females using boku to describe themselves? Only happens in fiction. There are many instances of fictional characters doing this, because, if done right, it can be unbearably cute. Just think of Ayu in Kanon, if you need an example.

But really, it doesn't happen in the real world. Well... I did know one girl who used it, but I'm pretty sure it was very, very deliberate.

- abunai
Dan-Jo-Dan-Jo-Dan-Jo...
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
But really, it doesn't happen in the real world. Well... I did know one girl who used it [boku], but I'm pretty sure it was very, very deliberate.

Although it doesn't really fit into the "real world," I'm pretty sure one of my Japanese instructors mentioned that Utada Hikaru often used "boku" rather than "watashi," and that it was a bit of a trend for awhile for young girls/women to imitate her in this in the late 90s.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
abunai wrote:
But really, it doesn't happen in the real world. Well... I did know one girl who used it [boku], but I'm pretty sure it was very, very deliberate.

Although it doesn't really fit into the "real world," I'm pretty sure one of my Japanese instructors mentioned that Utada Hikaru often used "boku" rather than "watashi," and that it was a bit of a trend for awhile for young girls/women to imitate her in this in the late 90s.

Quite true, but honestly... a performer's styles are not indicative of anything "real". Think of Boy George, or Michael Jackson. Sure, people may act in a particular manner, when involved in that plastic-and-tinsel thing called show business, but it has very little bearing on "normality" (such as it is).

- abunai
I may well be lynched for this, but I don't really care for Utada Hikaru...
Alexel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I got this new wallpaper that I really like:

Can anyone tell me if that's from an anime or manga series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 124 of 572