• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia: You're Next Anime Film Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sounds like your average MAH film, which isn't too surprising.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This is a super weird movie.

It's a no-consequences midpoint movie that happens in a plot point the anime already passed and airs right after the manga ends.

I don't think I have seen something so bizarre as this situation.

The only logical conclusion I can make is that this was supposed to air at the end of season 6 and before 7 and something happened that delayed it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
These movies feel like opportunities to play with comic cliches that the main series didn’t. In this case the evil version of a character, the Cyborg Superman, Bizarro, etc. I do kind of wish they did play with the ideas a bit more though. For instance, weakness of World Heroes Mission was that it had a setup similar to Superman/Batman: Public Enemies but didn’t fully commit the way that film did, although one could argue the difference was Deku was being accused by some random group and Superman was being set up by Lex Luthor, who at the time was the President.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Imagine if they spent half the effort on the show as they do on these movies...
Tylec

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Synopsis:
Japan's cities lie abandoned and in ruins. Only small pockets of society still exist

Wait, this doesn't sound like the "ordinary society, just with superheroes' I recall from the beginning of the series. Is this movie an AU, or does something happen in the later seasons to destroy Japan's government and throw the country into Mad Max anarchy?
Essedess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
Isn't that just Overhaul's power set?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
Tylec wrote:
Quote:
Synopsis:
Japan's cities lie abandoned and in ruins. Only small pockets of society still exist

Wait, this doesn't sound like the "ordinary society, just with superheroes' I recall from the beginning of the series. Is this movie an AU, or does something happen in the later seasons to destroy Japan's government and throw the country into Mad Max anarchy?

The later.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
I think these days most anime movies based on popular manga seems to try to be more ambitious than the series they're based on, but the MHA movies kind of feel like those Bleach and Naruto non-serial movies, at least some of the old non-serial movies for series like Dragon Ball or One Piece had some memorable scenes, characters, concepts and great animation
The only thing that is drawing my interest about this movie is the fact that for the Neutral Spanish dub they changed the recording studio, the main characters are still primarily voiced by the VAs who work in the series and the third movie in Miami, but some of the Mexican VAs from the first two movies, which were the first MHA projects dubbed into Spanish, are present but voicing different characters and a few of them actually reprised their roles. The villain Dark Might is voiced by Octavio Rojas, All-Might's VA in the first two movies and Tusyu is voiced by Jennifer Medel who voiced her in the first two movies instead of María José Estéves who voices her in the anime, though the latter still voices Momo.
It seems like the Spanish dub was made in a way to please those people who preferred the first two movies' dub, but the thing is that the series' dub is still quite disliked by the majority of the audience, so it's like they know we would prefer if they just redub the series, but they can't due to alleged inistence of Toho.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
So far, it's doing better than Saturday Night, but in a close race with Piece by Piece. https://deadline.com/2024/10/box-office-terrifier-3-joker-folie-a-deux-the-apprentice-1236113611/
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
You're Next alao has a decent audience score. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_hero_academia_youre_next
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1