• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime do you think deserves a sequel?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh well. I saw the other topic so might as well create one myself.

Anyways:

Gunslinger Girl - Although the Anime was great and all, spoiler[the start had no certain beginning. It was almost like being thrown into something that is already happening. This goes the same for the ending as it just ends abruptly.]. Now the Manga covers a lot more than just the Anime and certain events have even been altered to have the story continute coherently. Though I'm one who believes it's good whether there is another sequel or not, because ADV Manga has put a stop on the Gunslinger Girl after vol 3 (of the 8 volumes that are out in Japan so far), I would like to see the Anime go for another 13 episodes.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I second everyone in the other thread who said no more FMA. I think the anime 'ended' very nicely with Conqueror of Shamballa, and for there to be more would be unnecessary.. The Kids OVA also wraps everything up (sort of) and it's really really cute <3

I would like to see more Suzumiya Haruhi, though. 14 episodes was just not enough, and the end definitely left room for a sequel. It's just such a fun series, I think they could do a lot more with it.

I'm also going to say Shaman King, because the story in the manga is so much deeper than the one in the anime, and the ending of the anime was incredibly abrupt for a 64 episode series. Even some OVAs of what happens to everyone would be nice, but since it's almost 6 years old now I doubt that will ever happen.

Oh yes, and Matantei Loki Ragnarok. It's sort of funny, because the manga that MLR was based off of was just called Matantei Loki, and the sequel to that was Matantei Loki Ragnarok. It seems like at the end of the MLR anime they were trying to set up for the story that followed in the manga sequel, but nothing ever came of that. It's a shame, because that was a really adorable (although hopelessly corny) anime.

Last edited by Murasakisuishou on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there is a second season of Haruhi planned. It was announced quite a while back.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
A second season of Haruhi? I thought that was just a rumor...

Anyway, an anime that deserves a sequel is Fruits Basket. The ending just felt too open, and it felt as if there was much more left to the story. The chances of it getting a sequel seem highly unlikely though, since its been 5 years since the series ended...

Last edited by Miho on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter - Although i'm still following the manga, it would be more satisfying for me if they continue The anime since i really don't like reading and people may disagree with me but i believe the anime tend sometimes to be more detailed than the manga( Hunter x hunter especially). Besides there are too much left unexplained and that even includes the manga. It's like the whole anime itself is so mysterious. Like where's Ging and what the hell is he doing, and the hell is going to happen with the Ryodan and a lot much more. It's crazy dude i so want a sequel for this anime that i'd be willing to spend my whole savings even just for one episode.

Berserk- Pretty much the same situation with Hunter x hunter. Berserk is just a great anime and Though i'd be more willing to see a sequel but i highly doubt it that there's going to be one.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
i would like to see a sequel to Fighting Spirit (hajime no ippo) since the manga goes way further than the anime and it would be nice to see him go further defending his title and moving up animated instead of me picturing it in my head through the manga. the anime has a good ending its just since the manga is way ahead it left me wanting so much more.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
s-CRY-ed- Not a lot of people liked this show but I sure did. It just kept wanting more and it's one that I could watch over and over again. However with the way they ended it and all, It could easily make another season of this.

Ouran High School Host Club- For the same reasons stated in the last thread, by the other guy/girl.

Kannazuki no Miko- This one doesn't Need a sequel but I just want them to make another 12 or so episode series that has another pair of reincarnations go through similar hardships in the future.

And IMO almost every anime that on likes, needs a sequel. It just hurts inside to see the show end. But there are some that don't need sequels like Cowboy Bebop that has a great inward plot that couldn't really be re-made into another season. That and the fact that Spike is spoiler[DEAD]. But there are shows that had such bad endings that you want another season, even if some of the characters wouldn't be there or there was no way that a continuation would make it better. (Example: Mahoromatic)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I would be all for a second season of Gunslinger Girl. Although if they made another series it would have to start delving into more of the political back war from the manga and I don't think a lot of the talking would do well on screen, although the intrigue is great.

Well that and I would love to see the spoiler[Pinocchio] arc animated, and not just because this would probably be the only way for me to ever see it played out and the conclusion of it. Darn you, ADV!

I've recently watched Brave Story, and not really a sequel, but I'd love to see a series for that movie. Maybe something in 13 episodes to show more of that interesting world, and allow more background on some of ther characters.

But more than anything right now, and I know it is generic to mention it but I don't care because I love the franchise, I'd really love to see another Full Metal Panic! I would prefer another comedy like Fumoffu, but a third raid show would also be terrific. I'm collecting TSR right now and can't help but be sad that when I have them all there won't be another story with Sousuke and Kaname to look forward too. I don't know the novels so I don't know anything about what story I'd like to see, but I do know that I want more and I want to see if Kaname and Sousuke have finally made any progress.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I know most of mine are really obvious... but you asked:

Twelve Kingdoms - Dear god, I don't care if it's about Youko or not, I just don't care any more! There's so much absolutely fantastic material available from the books, that if most of the same group got together to make more of this show again, it'd probably be gold even if they half-assed it. Aside from the rather obvious fact that so much of the story wasn't even finished, I would love to see more of how Youko's country evolved once she spoiler[finally gained some real control over what was going on].

Hunter X Hunter - Another obvious one, but this one doesn't sound as much like the animator's fault as the manga-ka's. Dammit man, stop getting sick! Eat some vitamins or something and finish the manga!

Haruhi - I haven't read the novels, but everyone says there's a ton more source material for this series, and considering how much I loved the first show, I can't wait for more.

Stellvia - I heard there was a second season for this, but it was cancelled! Blasphemy! I wonder what the plot was supposed to be? I doubt it was as good as the first arc of the original, but you never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Decided to cheat and cut/paste from the other thread:

Every single anime I've ever watched should have a sequel!

Beyond that, to be more specific:

Witch Hunter Robin is one that I'd would have liked to see continue. At the end we see spoiler[a girl get out of a taxi and we assume that it's Robin.] Does Robin rejoin the STNJ? Does Amon rejoin as well to keep his promise to her? spoiler[About killing her if she turns into an Evil Witch.]Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this one.

I DO NOT want to see more of Fullmetal Alchemist. I was satisfied with the ending as it was. But, saying that, I WOULD like to see the OVAs. I hope that some time in the future Funimation will release those.

Two others that I would like to see conclusions to would be Eight Clouds Rising and Mirage of Blaze. It is my understanding that those two are based on novels. Both of those anime are obviously incomplete and I would like to see how the stories end. And while I prefer happy endings, these two stories are rather dark so I doubt that there would be a happy ending.

And to add another one - I would like to see the alternate story lines of Fate/Stay Night.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Twelve Kingdoms - I want to know the conclusion of Taiki's story dammit! It shocked me as I reached the end of the tenth DVD and no more details regarding what happened to him and how Tai reached the state it was in Crying or Very sad

Ouran High School Host Club - I'm currently following the manga, but the anime was quite entertaining and some of the comedic scenes were way more hilarious in the animated form.

The way they altered the school festival arc gave me the impression that Bones currently has no plans for a second season, but I hope they get interested again with the postive reception the anime has received.

Utena - I have a love/hate relationship with the ending of the TV series, I thought that Utena deserved more credit and screentime in the end after what she has gone through and I hated the Adolescence Mokushiroku movie for not contributing anything to the ending of the TV series.

An OAV would be nice to show us how Utena has been doing after the Mokushiroku arc, but since ten years have passed since the end of the TV series, there's no way in hell it's gonna happen Sad
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Thats a tough question, because generally shows get ruined by sequels, in my opinion anyways.
Any anime that I would say I liked enough to really want to see more of, I would be weary of any announcements for sequels just because sequels are never as good and screw around with the stuff that has thus far been left up to the imagination.

Full Metal Alchemist - One of my all time favourites, but it is finished. Come on, 51 episodes, plus OVAs and a movie is plenty for any series.

s-CRY-ed - I also loved this series. Its on my "must buy" list. Again, I figure a sequel would ruin it. Alot is left unfinished and left up to the imagination, its true, but, it dosnt really matter. Its asumed what happens next, you just have to role with it.

Witch Hunter Robin - Another of my all time favourites. The ambiguis "What the fudge happened?!" ending did upset me a bit, but in the end.... it leaves things up to the viewers imagination. Also as with s-CRY-ed, there are pairings that are left unpaired and stuff specificly so that the fans can decide in their minds who is going to get together in the blank that is left. Stuff like that. Pairings is an example (I was obsessed with the RobinxAmon pairing, but it dosnt have to be pairings)

I guess I dunno, sequels are never as good and they almost always tend to lessen the amount of "magic" a series carries over to the viewers. Sometimes, less is way, way more.

But then I myself tend to prefer shorter seires, so that ought to be also taken into account I suppose. I tend to shy away from even getting into the mega long series that last forever. I stick to the nice 12-26 long shows... with a few exceptions.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
A second season of Haruhi? I thought that was just a rumor...

Yeah, it was announced here at ANN not too long ago.

Quote:
Anyway, an anime that deserves a sequel is Fruits Basket. The ending just felt too open, and it felt as if there was much more left to the story. The chances of it getting a sequel seem highly unlikely though, since its been 5 years since the series ended...

Fruits Basket will not recieve a second season due to a couple of things:
1. The ending was set in a way that they really can't implement things from the later chapters into the second to make it look like a continuation. BIG SPOILER: spoiler[Akito is a guy in the anime, so they can't put the back story of Akito] into the second season unless you really want to screw up the anime.
2. Takaya-sensei is not interested in doing a second season, that ends that in a blast.

A series I would like to see have a sequel would be the Tsukihime series. They did not show how Yumizuka becomes a vampire, which can be confusing to some people playing the sequel of Tsukihime, Melty Blood. Then again, Melty Blood is the sequel to Tsukihime, so if it were to have it's sequel, there's the name.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
I also think Witch Hunter Robin is in desperate need of some type of an OVA or movie, as the spoiler[end was rather inconclusive.] Sure I liked the ending, however, the series brought up issues I'd like to see come to a close like spoiler[will Amon awaken to his craft having witches for parents] or spoiler[Sakaki for that matter considering the hunters are actually all Seeds themselves, or rather those with the blood of witches.] Not to mention, spoiler[that I'm not too clear on Toto's research which led to the creation of Robin, ] as the explanation was rather vague, however, everytime I rewatch the series I end up making new connections with little details I missed.

There's also more storyline to be told in the universe of Stratos4 as well. Advance had a good end but I was hoping for another encounter with spoiler[the alien parasites] and more info about their goals.

A few other series like Gunslinger Girl and Elfen Lied that have more to them on the manga front should be further animated as well. Especially considering they're two of my favorites.
coffee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied because the story had so many layers and unexplored concepts like spoiler[what's the deal with the male diclinious? what happens to the corporation? ] and the way it all ends just leaves you begging for more. I would gladly pay for another season.

Eureka Seven because the world was so rich and amazing (surfing robots anyone?), even though I'm content with the ending, I would love to see more of E7, which I think could be done without dishonoring the first show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19