• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
VOTING FOR:
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso
Clare, Claymore
Momo, A Letter to Momo
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Takamine Kiyomaro, Zatch Bell
Who He Is: Kiyo is a 15-year-old genius and bored with school and life. His classmates are intimidated by him so they stay away, causing Kiyo to develop a standoffish and apathetic demeanor. One day Kiyo's father sends a boy, Zatch (who has amnesia), to live with him. Zatch's hyperness, overly enthusiastic and upbeat attitude annoy Kiyo at first, but they are forced to work together when they are attacked by demons.
How He Improves: When they find out Zatch is from the demon world, sent to the human world to play a last-one-standing game for the demon throne, Kiyo puts his intellect to go use and devises battle strategies that allow Zatch to win his battles. Helping Zatch makes Kiyo loosen up and become more approachable, and his classmates notice the difference and begin talking to him.
Picture

VOTING FOR:
Ippo Makunochi, Fighting Spirit
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Here's a question: how do you find both Shuji and my earlier nomination of Koshiro borderline? Both have flawed personalities and unique situations they find themselves having to deal with throughout both their titles which they improve on throughout the run of their titles and come to terms with. Their circumstances aren't exactly ones you can conveniently overcome, especially in the case of Koi Kaze.

Because Koi Kaze more involves characters evolving, not necessarily improving. Koshiro does open his heart in his talks with Nanoka in the first episode, but where does that lead him? Not to improvement, but instead ultimately to trouble and emotional satisfaction which only comes accompanied by such taboo-breaking-based guilt that spoiler[suicide is a contemplated option] in the last episode. IOW, this is a case where a change that would normally be regarded as an improvement actually backfires, and the subtle irony of that is one of the things that contributes to making the series the masterpiece that it is.

In Shuji's case, I actually thought that he became a more selfish character as the series progressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
If we can't get to a solid 128 nominees, I think that a bye option would be pretty much the perfect solution. I think there are still definitely potential nominees out there but I doubt many of them will be stronger than the characters we already have.

Key wrote:
Those currently at 7 include Chi, Kimihiro, Masanosuke, Shoukei, Vegeta, Watashi (The Tatami Galaxy), and Yukari. I don't know enough of these characters to know which one least deserves to get a bye.

I don't know them all either but I will say that I would personally rank Kimihiro ahead of Yukari, if that helps at all (I see a new vote for Kimihiro though so this point may be moot.)

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
Chagum, Seirei no Moribito/Guardian of the Spirit
Megumi 'Nodame' Noda, Nodame Cantabile
Shizuku Tsukushima, Whisper of the Heart
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Because I was a lazy bum, I didn't bother to write a nomination for Kawashima Ami - Toradora!, but nobody else considered this a good option yet, so I didn't get any real drive to do it either. She started out as an extremely unlikable character, playing an always sweet, 'airhead' persona when she actually has a darker personality.
She's cunning, proud, intelligent and somewhat arrogant. In the course of the series she learns to be more true to herself, become more likable with her real traits and make real friends (apart from Yuusaku, who already liked her true self). I don't know if I described her personality well enough, but hey, gave it a try.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Kahoko Hino, La Corda d'Oro
Who She Is: Kahoko is a general student at a school divided into general students and music major students. The music major students are more respected, and it's not uncommon for the general students to be looked down upon. Going to class one day, Kahoko sees Lili, a musical fairy who no one else can see. Lili gives Kahoko a magical violin and tells her she must participate in the school's annual musical competition.
How She Improves: At first Kahoko is directionless and refuses to take part in the competition, but when the magic violin lets her play any song perfectly, she decides to participate. As the weeks-long competition goes on, she is influenced by the passion of the other competitors and begins to develop a passion of her own for the violin. This is when she realizes that using the magic violin during the competition is basically cheating. This epiphany shocks her and prompts her to actually learn how to play instead of relying on a short-cut.
Picture
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Because I was a lazy bum, I didn't bother to write a nomination for Kawashima Ami - Toradora!, but nobody else considered this a good option yet, so I didn't get any real drive to do it either. She started out as an extremely unlikable character, playing an always sweet, 'airhead' persona when she actually has a darker personality.
She's cunning, proud, intelligent and somewhat arrogant. In the course of the series she learns to be more true to herself, become more likable with her real traits and make real friends (apart from Yuusaku, who already liked her true self). I don't know if I described her personality well enough, but hey, gave it a try.

I would support your nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
I'm not convinced that she'd be a strong candidate, but since two others have expressed support for her, I'll add her as a last-minute option:

Nominating:
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
Who She Is: Ami is a childhood friend of Yusaku (the best friend of lead protagonist Ryuuji) who transfers into the class of the lead protagonists mid-semester - about episode 4 in series time. She is taking a break from modeling to attend school and outwardly presents a cheerful, kind, lovably clumsy personality. That is all a front for her actual arrogant, selfish, and sharp-tongued nature, however, a side of her which only Yusaku initially knows but which the protagonists quickly discover, which combined with her growing romantic interest in Ryuuji, leads to her and Taiga becoming bitter enemies. She is also very insightful, understanding better than anyone the actual relationships amidst the series' core cast members.
How She Improves: Ami's true base personality is arrogant and selfish, but that gradually changes for the better as she gets integrated into the series' central relationship net, as later in the series she's even fairly accomodating, to the point where she even works with Taiga on a couple of things. Conflict with Taiga also helps her get over her initial timidity about confronting certain problems that have weighed on her for some time, such as a stalking photographer.

pic (from Best Supporting Character tournament)

I am taking comments by A Mystery and errinundra as automatic supporting votes here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Ami Kawashima, Toradora! - just to make it official
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
VOTING FOR
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust/Betrayal
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers
Satou Tatsuhiro, Welcome to the NHK
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
Usagi Tsukino, Sailor Moon
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
NEW NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED.

I will, however, still continue to take votes for the moment since we have some ties that need to be broken. (See below)

The OP has been updated, and reflects that the lowest of the four The Twelve Kingdoms nominees has been cut. In a little while I will list the candidates involved in the ties at the cut-offs. At that point voting will only continue until I have the definitive cut-offs that I need. Thus if you have last-minute votes you want to get in, don't dawdle! I don't expect this process to extend beyond this time tomorrow in any case.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nominees on the cut line for participating are as follows. This stage of voting will complete when three of these increase to a score of 3 or higher.

Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach, 2
Dio Brando, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, 2
Hagumi Hanamoto, Honey and Clover, 2
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho, 2
Ippo Makunochi, Fighting Spirit, 2
Kanon Memphis/Hazama, Fafner, 2
Momo, A Letter to Momo, 2
Nishi*, Mind Game, 2
Rei Ayanami, Rebuild of Evangelion movies, 2
Tsukasa, .hack//SIGN, 2
Yuuya Bridges, Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Ecl, 2
Dewey, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, 1
Eiji Kanda, Antique Bakery, 1
Garrod Ran, After War Gundam X, 1
Himari Takakura, Mawaru Penguindrum, 1
Honoka Sawada, Chibi Devil, 1
Kahoko Hino, La Cordo d'Oro, 1
Koshiro Saeki, Koi Kaze, 1
Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 1
Lamia Lovelss, Super Robot Wars OG, 1
Mikono Suzushiro, Aquarion EVOL, 1
Miyori , Miyori no Mori, 1
Ruri Hoshino, Martian Successor Nadesico, 1
Setsuna Seiei, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, 1
Shuji, Saikano, 1
Sojiro, Ruroni Kenshin, 1
Takamine Kiyomaru, Zatch Bell, 1
Tetsuro Hoshino, Galaxy Express 999, 1

Nominees on the cut line for a first-round bye are as follows. This stage of voting will continue until either two are increased to a score of 8+ or six are designated as being less worthy of a bye.

Chagum, Moribito, 7
Chi , Chobits, 7
Masakazu Misaki, Time of Eve, 7
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers, 7
Shizuku Tsukishima, Whisper of the Heart, 7
Vegeta, Dragonball Z, 7
Watashi (unnamed protag), The Tatami Galaxy, 7
Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss, 7
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Vote for:
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

I'm pretty certain I already voted for everyone I'm familiar with in the "7"s list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Vote for

Chagum Moribito, Guardian of the Spirit
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Out of those 8, I think Vegeta is the least deserving of a bye because of what he pulled when everyone was trying to keep Majin Buu from waking up. He had been steadily improving, but then took many steps back with that stunt. He turns around and improves more later, but that incident is enough to keep him from getting a bye IMO.

I voted for him, so to express this should I rescind my vote? I don't want to vote against him since he definitely deserves to be in the tournament, I just don't think he should get a bye.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 28