• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there really gona be a real Live Eva movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey, any one know if the Live Evangelion Movie is real? I think it is but i am starting to wounder. So i need some info. My brain hurts thinking about it. Crying or Very sad
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
There has been plans but from the look of it not much action.

anime#3123
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it would be a safe bet to chalk it down with the live action DBZ flick as never gonna' happen. I personally think it's for the best if it isn't made I don't see how it would ever be good, but I'm perfectly willing to be surprised as well.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. I touth it wasen't in the making yet. I think it might be kinda good. But the Evas look.... not right. Nothing like you would think in real life. I saw som sketches some where.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think they should make it. There are so many strong events and emotions that come across though out the series and there going to try to fit all this stuff in a 2 hour movie? There is no way they could get the plot across effectively. It will be like the X movie to the X series... The movie tries to squish all 26 episodes in a 2 hour span, and it sucks; it's the same case here. On the other hand it would be cool to see EVA come to “real” life, but I just can't see how they can do it effectively in a 2 hour span. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
They wouldn't really have to cover the entire series within one movie, if it's even made they always have the option of making more than one movie, which would probably be for the best especially with a series like Eva
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
They wouldn't really have to cover the entire series within one movie, if it's even made they always have the option of making more than one movie, which would probably be for the best especially with a series like Eva

That's probably the best way to do it but the chances the American people will take to watching just the first one is very slim. We're very closed minded people here and the only way people will watch it is big name actors and directors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
That's true, plus it also seems like people got tired of "epic" movies after the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, so doing something like that may not work so well after all unless, as you said, some very big name people are involved, and they actually give people a reason to want to see any sequel films after seeing the first one
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Not unless ADV can find a studio interested in funding the production, and, over two years after the initial announcement, they remain an eternal bridesmaid.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Eva has already been budgeted at $100 million, and that's just for the first movie. They are planning multiple films. The trouble is, no studio will spend 100 plus million dollars on a Japanese property with a dedicated but small fanbase. Besides, consider the insane amounts of controversy an Eva movie would cause. It would be dead in the water in the Bible Belt.

Simply put, an Eva movie would not be profitable. There are not enough fans to sustain it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Besides, consider the insane amounts of controversy an Eva movie would cause. It would be dead in the water in the Bible Belt.

I highly doubt Evangelion would cause even half the amount of controversy fans like to think it would. From a religious standpoint, it's nothing. All this "grand, deep" symbolism was thrown in purely for kicks, because the producers "thought it looked cool," effectively putting Evangelion at a level of theological "controversy" equivalent to Constantine or similar mindless action fluff. It's stuff like Dogma that deliberately plays on organised religion and openly questions its, well, dogma that causes controversy, not action flicks that throw around big Biblical names for the sake of "cool points."

"There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool."
-Assistant Director of Evangelion, Kazuya Tsurumaki, at an Otakon panel a few years past

Now, that said, if this movie kept up with Evangelion's psychological angles, it might cause some manner of stir. But even that would likely be minor rumblings akin to the latter Matrix movies, because once you boil down a severely insecure & indecisive boy with a clone-Oedipus complex to its basest elements, it's really not that shocking without the giant monsterbots making blood fly everywhere and said Oedipus boy playing his mental sex games.

Wow...hard to believe I actually still kinda like Evangelion despite saying all that, isn't it? Laughing

Last edited by Nagisa on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing recently that WETA said the project had been put on hold. [edit]indefinitely[/edit]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I highly doubt Evangelion would cause even half the amount of controversy fans like to think it would. From a religious standpoint, it's nothing. All this "grand, deep" symbolism was thrown in purely for kicks, because the producers "thought it looked cool,"

Step One:Hideaki Anno breaks out of his depression and creates Eva as a result of studying the work of Carl Jung, a famous psychologist and philosopher whose work revolves to a large extent around religious symbolism, its possible narrative uses and how it can signify even to non-believers.

Step Two: Fanboys who have never heard of Jung continuously assert that the religious symbolism has no meaning, despite being the product of an auteur who credits Jung with influencing Eva.

Step Three: I point out the essential nature of Jung's connection to Eva's use of symbolism.

Step Four: Repeat step two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Step Five: I quote a more or less neutral source on the matter, because so much has been written about Anno and his crazy-head exploits that it's difficult to separate the fact from the lore. At least there's no constant cloud of BS to wade through with Assistant Director Tsurukami. No myths about him to decipher from; he said it was outright BS, and I feel more comfortable quoting him than going into the infinite treasure trove of Anno stories (many true, many more not so) that range from him borrowing from Jung to actually having killed himself years ago.

Anno's had a lot of tall tales written about him that get easily cross-bred with fact. Tsurukami hasn't. No offense, but I'm going with the guy whose life story in the eyes of the anime fandom isn't 80% fables.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want to claim Eva isn't blatantly influenced by Jung, feel free, but it's a bit like asserting that the Wachoski Bros. didn't draw upon Philip Dick for Matrix, and that Citizen Kane isn't a roman a clef of William Randolph Hearst's life. I didn't need Carl Gustav Horn to tell me that Jung was an influence on Anno: from the use of Jung's pet symbols to the use of Jung's psychological theories, the show's so Jungian it's almost a textbook.

But I'm certainly not asserting that the symbols are part of some allegorical code that contain the answers to all questions about the show... that's as silly as the opposite extreme of saying the symbols mean nothing (and heaven knows people at cons tend to say silly things. And in my own experience of putting theatrical productions together, second bananas often make assertions about production design that are comically inaccurate. Just keep those light cues straight, Mr. Assistant Director...)

The symbols work as motifs when taken pretty much at face value. Consider the Kaballah (which was a key subject for Jung.) The Tree of Life is a representation of a rigourous schematic for understanding and reshaping the world; a representation that hinges on the idea that something's broken in the world and must be fixed. Raise your hand if you think this was associated with Dr. Ikari purely because it looks cool. Now raise your other hand. Now clap! Wasn't that fun?

Or consider those cross-shaped explosions. If you're japanese there's a perceptible connection between Christianity and horrible explosions in japanese urban centers. These religious motifs aren't part of a rigourous Pilgrim's Progress-style allegory, but obviously they aren't in the show by happenstance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1