• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia: You're Next Film's Moviegoers Get Manga Volume Bonus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Jealous! We never get anime movie extras with the USA releases;;; so many more people go to see anime movies these days; I’m sure it wouldn’t be a waste of money now.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Jealous! We never get anime movie extras with the USA releases;;; so many more people go to see anime movies these days; I’m sure it wouldn’t be a waste of money now.

The problem here being licensing rights. The anime being licensed by Crunchyroll while the manga is licensed by Viz, so having the manga handed out as a free bonus at theaters probably wouldn't fly for the latter company. And then we get into murkier territory with other series, like a Crunchyroll-licensed anime adaptation of a Square Enix-published light novel that was localized by Yen Press, for example.

Licensing for JP media is a nightmare, and I'm honestly surprised by how little it's improved since I was 15 years old and different US publishers were buying the rights to a TV series and a movie, ala The Slayers, YYH, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. and dubbing them with completely different casts.
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
There was a manga volume distributed here in America for the last one. It's sitting on my shelf. From what I could find, it looks like Viz did release the other two as well, but only through their website and app. They are around 80 pages in length and contain a 9-page one shot and a bunch of extras like interviews and character files.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That's a cool little bonus for theatergoers!
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:14 am Reply with quote
NeoBasch wrote:
There was a manga volume distributed here in America for the last one. It's sitting on my shelf. From what I could find, it looks like Viz did release the other two as well, but only through their website and app. They are around 80 pages in length and contain a 9-page one shot and a bunch of extras like interviews and character files.

Yeah, if it's not clear, I'm not saying that Viz won't translate and release it. I'm just saying that licensing rights mean that Viz probably won't translate and release it for Sony/Crunchyroll to give out as a free gift to get people to go to the movies, as is happening in Japan. A free art print, like the Spy x Family movie got, I can see happening, but not something like this.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
NeoBasch wrote:

Yeah, if it's not clear, I'm not saying that Viz won't translate and release it. I'm just saying that licensing rights mean that Viz probably won't translate and release it for Sony/Crunchyroll to give out as a free gift to get people to go to the movies, as is happening in Japan. A free art print, like the Spy x Family movie got, I can see happening, but not something like this.

Except they did translate and release it as a bonus to be handed out to those who saw the film in theaters in the United States. It was not sold separately. It happened for the third movie, so it could happen again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1