• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Gatchaman Crowds Insight Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This was a given since they did the other one
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
This was a given since they did the other one

Not necessarily. It can be assumed but just because one company has the rights to the first season of an anime doesn't guarantee them the rights to the second.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Fourteenthangel wrote:

Not necessarily. It can be assumed but just because one company has the rights to the first season of an anime doesn't guarantee them the rights to the second.

There was more than simply that, as CR already had it as a simulcast.

Would you be happy if "expected" were substituted for "given"?
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this announced!

Hoping against hope that they're able to get the director's cut from the original season for the eventual disc release.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Fourteenthangel wrote:

There was more than simply that, as CR already had it as a simulcast.

Would you be happy if "expected" were substituted for "given"?

Considering how Tatsunoko's been treating their "deal" with Sentai by giving some of their titles to FUNimation (Yatterman Night, Speed Racer) and with other past instances (most recently with Free!), it should never be an automatic "sure" for licensing continuity. Yes, changes concerning that are relatively rare, but with Tatsunoko's business notoriety, chances for the unexpected can go up a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The funny part was that I thought they had already licensed it. I had to actually look in the encyclopedia to find out why they weren't streaming episodes.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Considering how Tatsunoko's been treating their "deal" with Sentai by giving some of their titles to FUNimation (Yatterman Night, Speed Racer) and with other past instances (most recently with Free!), it should never be an automatic "sure" for licensing continuity. Yes, changes concerning that are relatively rare, but with Tatsunoko's business notoriety, chances for the unexpected can go up a bit.

While true that Tatsunoko is on the production committee, it wasn't licensed from Tatsunoko, and neither was the first season.
NTV holds the international licenses for both seasons and both were licensed from NTV.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
We can only hope that Nakamura and company do a better job of pacing this season than the first given Sentai's rather strange decision not to include the "Editor's Cut" version of the final season one episode.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

While true that Tatsunoko is on the production committee, it wasn't licensed from Tatsunoko, and neither was the first season.
NTV holds the international licenses for both seasons and both were licensed from NTV.

Ah, well that solves that mystery… Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1