• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished eva...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
and I have a few questions. I loved the series except for the last two episodes. I stopped ep 26 half-way through, so I'm now gonna watch end of evangelion and hope it's a bit better. I just want to know what the hell was going in in episodes 25 and 26.

Also a question about the movies, let me get this straight. THe first half of "death and rebirth", called "death" is a recap of the series, and the second half "rebirth" is the first part of end of evangelion. So I should watch the "death" half of death and rebirth, and then watch end of eva?
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't get Death & Rebirth at all. Save your money and just get End of Evangelion.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well... mostly, people who like Eva can be split into two groups - the ones that like it for the plot and the ones that like it for character development. I'll make a semi-educated guess and put the poster in the first group. D&R is completely optional, but it does give a nice summary of all plot keypoints. And it's a good movie in general. I recommend you get it if you have money to spare on it.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The D&R DVD is worth getting solely for Amanda Winn Lee's statement in the commentary for DEATH when spoiler[Ryo gets shot]. That was the biggest laugh I've had in a long time. Anime hyper
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
You've come that far, why not finish episode 26? The movie won't really make any more or less sense. Sorry, I just think the 25-26 TV ending just gets more of a bad rap than it deserves.

And also, there are various other posts on this subject, on the first 2 pages of posts no less. Perhaps the answer you seek lies there.
Jkid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
My advice, get the End of Eva movie. Although it won't make any sense, it'll give you a some insight of the events of epsiode 25 & 26.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
and I have a few questions. I loved the series except for the last two episodes. I stopped ep 26 half-way through, so I'm now gonna watch end of evangelion and hope it's a bit better. I just want to know what the hell was going in in episodes 25 and 26.

Also a question about the movies, let me get this straight. THe first half of "death and rebirth", called "death" is a recap of the series, and the second half "rebirth" is the first part of end of evangelion. So I should watch the "death" half of death and rebirth, and then watch end of eva?

If you stopped before viewing all of ep 26 then you missed the whole purpose for doing the last two episodes the way they did and what, IMO, is a satisfactory conclusion. Also, a typical viewer has to watch those last two episodes more than once to make much sense of them.

As for the movies, "Death" is a little more than a recap. It also contains several minutes of new /deleted scenes (some of which, I believe, appeared in the Director's Cut versions of the last few episodes). Key among these is a scene set right before Second Impact which makes it clear that spoiler[it was a man-made event and Gendo knew it was coming] and a scene between Fuyutski and Yui while Shinji was a baby which makes it more clear that Fuyutski had a thing for Yui. The audio commentary for both "Death" and "Rebirth" is also one of the better and more informative ones out there.

And if episodes 25 and 26 aren't to your taste then you may or may not appreciate End of Evangelion any more. It's both incredibly intense and, in its later stages, incredibly tripped-out. Brilliant stuff, but also mind-boggling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20035

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19900

These are a couple of recent threads dealing with D&R vs. EoE, and interpretations of 25 and 26. Hope they help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1