• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sub'd Sailor Moon R2?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sorvani

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Since the show's been around forever and translated a million times, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a R1/R2 DVD release with solid english subs? I most definately do NOT want the US releases. aka original video & audio. with english subs.

After the live action show was fan subbed, i gave it to a friends daughter to watch. we weren't sure if she could handle sub's yet, but she is a huge SM fangirl. to our surprise she loved the show and had NO problems with the subtitling. so i went and poked around and found a very bad fan sub of ep1 to see what she thought. her words "so that's what the song is supposed to be" in regards to the OP.

so we've created a monster. but we think it's a good thing Twisted Evil thus our goal to track down as much of the series as we can. figured i'd ask you guys before i waded into the google results.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Most R2 DVDs don't have English subs. The only exception I can think to this is the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. In other words you're not going to find it anywhere cause there isn't one. There is no uncut R1 version either.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
By "U.S. Releases," do you mean the edited dub on Cartoon Network, or anything released by a U.S. company?

PantsGoblin wrote:
There is no uncut R1 version either.

Actually, there is, although it doesn't seem to appear in the ANN Encyclopedia. Okay, it's not completely uncut as it omits one episode, but that episode doesn't matter.

The best (and only) thing I can recommend would be this
(Sailor Moon Season 1 Set) and this. (Sailor Moon R Set). Yes, they are "U.S. Releases," and Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad about it all you want, but they are in Japanese audio (only) with English Subtitles. They are uncut, correctly translated to the best of my knowledge, and do not leave out any episodes, aside from SM R # 67, which is a meaningless filler episode. That's the best that you can legally get. The audio/visual quality isn't the world's greatest, but the show was over 10 years old at the time the discs were made.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
So there is one. I didn't know. I should really stop solely relying on ANN for that kind of information I guess.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I also thought it was strange that they wouldn't have it *goes to encyclopedia updates*; if you check the news posts for Sailor Moon, there is a mention of the sets, which were released in mid-2003. They're out of print now, as the licenses held by all North American companies for Sailor Moon have expired, so you have to find them used.

EDIT: There is a review, but the Season 1 set is not listed under the list of releases that includes all the edited VHS and DVDs. Plus, the review says "Sailor Moon DVD," and doesn't make it clear that it is the S1 uncut set.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yeah, I also thought it was strange that they wouldn't have it *goes to encyclopedia updates*

Huh? on the SM ency entry, there is a review of Season 1 uncut, and an entry under "Related Releases" for it. The only thing it is missing is one for season 2.

Zalis116 wrote:
They're out of print now, as the licenses held by all North American companies for Sailor Moon have expired, so you have to find them used.

You can still find them new, especially at cons, and a few on the net.
sorvani

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
thanks for the info all.

i guess i'll break down and look for that release if it truely is all that's around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1