• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikki Tousen, anyone?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asurahime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for ikki tousen fans. And since i haven't seen much Ikki Tousen topics, i decided to post this. So, why do you like Ikki Tousen, what do you think it's strength's are, and who is your favorite character?

I like Ikki Tousen because i love how each character develops as the story progress's, making it more than just a fanservice show. (Not that i dislike the fanservice, i just like it when there's an interesting story to tag along with it, that's all.)

I think Ikki Tousen's strong points are; the fanservice, the cute/sexy characters, and the releationship between some of the characters.

And my favorite character is Ryofu Housen. Embarassed

Last edited by Asurahime on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The Ikki Tousen series are a mixed bag I'd say. They're fine if all you're looking for is a minimal substance, fanservice-fest, which sometimes I am. The first two were pretty fun because they actually tried to have good fights in addition to the fanservice, but the last two weren't all that great because the fights were weak.

I'd have to say my favorite character from the franchise would be Kanu Unchou followed by Chouun Shiryu.
cashballer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
I think the rule is that you have to give your own opinion as well when you make a thread like this.

Kruszer pretty much hit the nail on the head. The original series was pretty solid; obviously made mostly for the fanservice, but it also had quite entertaining fighting, characters, and comedy value -- enough to make me a fan of the franchise. Dragon Destiny really impressed me (especially for a show based largely on fanservice) with the fights, story, character development, and artwork. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it had a lot of what I felt the first season lacked.

Unfortunately, Great Guardians did not continue this trend for me. It seemed like this season was made solely for giving Kanu and Ryofu screen time that they didn't get in the first two. It wasn't that bad, but the qualities that made the first two better than just "fanservice shows" for me were mostly gone. I enjoyed it because of the characters. Then there's Xtreme Xecutor, which really had no redeeming qualities at all as far as I'm concerned. The artwork and animation was nice, but there wasn't much to look at (and I don't just mean fanservice). At least Ten'i got a nice new role for a short time.

My favorite characters would probably be Kakouen Myousai and Ten'i Shiman. With their limited screen time, they both take part in some of the best fights and show very interesting character development throughout the franchise.

Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Asurahime, please note what I said about this in the other thread you started on this topic. I'll give you 24 hours to go back and use the Edit button to flesh out your opening post better (answer your own questions, for instance) or this thread will get locked. too.

And BTW, I found te first series to be an amusing exercise in fan service, but I just haven't gotten around to watching the following series yet.

EDIT: The required upgrades have been satisfactorily made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
like u even said:

boobs, boobs, boobs

All the anime does anyway. Show boobs.

IMO its OK when you look pass the boobs.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
like u even said:

boobs, boobs, boobs

All the anime does anyway. Show boobs.

IMO its OK when you look pass the boobs.

Don't forget the massive amount of panty shots. Laughing

I only watched a few episodes of this show. It wasn't the greatest of anime shows but, from what I have seen of it, it was entertaining. I have been thinking about getting the DVDs so I can watch the rest. But holy mother of fanservice, batman. They were definitely going overboard with that element.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw it, I liked it. Then again, I wasn't sick to my stomach of fanservice yet.

Though the fighting honestly kept me in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
the girls promote boob jobs for females.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
Even as a fanservice lover, I've never really loved watching IT. I finally finished the 3rd season, and I don't feel the need to watch the 4th season, Xtreme Xecutor, any time soon. I don't remember liking DD & GG as much as the 1st season. I always felt like they should have just went further with the fanservice as opposed to purposely keeping everyone only slightly covered most of the time. There really wasn't much else to offer, so I figured what they should have done was stick to what they're good at, and add more of it. The music selection has been truly awesome in just about every season though. I bought the song collection for S1-3 as well as a couple singles for XX.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
Asurahime wrote:
I like Ikki Tousen because i love how each character develops as the story progress's, making it more than just a fanservice show.

I fell out of my chair laughing at this ridiculous statement in regard to Ikki Tousen. Character development? Did we watch the same series?

These characters didn't develop, unless you count Hakufu's constant whining of "I will get better, you'll see!" as "development" (and only to the point where the next opponent kicked her sorry ass again).

Ryomou was even more pathetic, as she added jealousy to her list of Qualities to Show Mom.

I also don't count the finger rape of another character "development", but I've been wrong before.

Please, enlighten me to where this "development" is. I'm absolutely curious to know where you see it, because I'm drawing a blank. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm willing to watch it again to see if this development exists.

I draw the line to say this series had character development.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Well, whenever I saw any of the female characters in fanservice moments, I usually "developed" something. I think that should count as character development. Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I watched two of them, the first and Dragon Destiny. Back then it was quite alright, the characters turned me on, and the story didn't seem like a massive disaster because, like I said, the characters were sexy. But after some time, I started to see the characters' flaws: eye-badge one seemed too obsessive with her mission or whatever; blonde protagonist was beyond childish; and the lesbian one too, well, lesbian for my tastes (perhaps I disliked her skin color too /colorist?).
Nowadays my tastes seem a bit more refined, and broader, even so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy another Ikkitousen. I'll definitely give Great Guardians a shot (again) sometime, although for now it's far from my priorities.

The huge difference between this and Queens Blade is that the latter's characters disgust me to no end (a few exceptions). There's that weird element Queens Blade shares with tentacle rape... which I can't name... because I don't want to.... I think.

Never mind what I just said... how uncensored is the uncensored version? I recall only watching the censored versions, which was a big turn off because bare boobies is what I live for, and would definitely factor in.
I'm sorry, that's not what I meant. How is the story in the uncensored version?

Quote:
Please, enlighten me to where this "development" is.

The blind swordswoman got plenty of "development" in my imagination, if that counts! Cool

Favorite character? Hmmm.
The one on the far left of this image... and the one on the far right looks like she kinda could...:
Don't worry if your mom is looking, as I've disguised all of them properly before linking!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, whenever I saw any of the female characters in fanservice moments, I usually "developed" something. I think that should count as character development. Very Happy

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

You know, it's called an inner voice for a reason.

Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Geez, PJ, I was merely referring to the fact that I would develop a greater intellectual capacity whilst watching Ikki Tousen - didn't realize that would gross you out. Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Asurahime wrote:
I like Ikki Tousen because i love how each character develops as the story progress's, making it more than just a fanservice show.

I fell out of my chair laughing at this ridiculous statement in regard to Ikki Tousen. Character development? Did we watch the same series?

These characters didn't develop, unless you count Hakufu's constant whining of "I will get better, you'll see!" as "development" (and only to the point where the next opponent kicked her sorry ass again).

Ryomou was even more pathetic, as she added jealousy to her list of Qualities to Show Mom.

I also don't count the finger rape of another character "development", but I've been wrong before.

Please, enlighten me to where this "development" is. I'm absolutely curious to know where you see it, because I'm drawing a blank. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm willing to watch it again to see if this development exists.

I draw the line to say this series had character development.

You do realize that Ikki Tousen is a franchise right and that there are 4 series in which they had the potential to develop, right? It seems like you've only seen the one by what you've said. The characters definitely do develop during the franchise, it's nothing big or earth-shattering, this being a shallow fanservice-fest, but it's not completely static. spoiler[Everyone becomes more powerful, Hakafu and other characters mellow out a bit and/or open up, former enemies become friends, side characters are explored more, etc.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3