• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Hunter/Hoshin Engi cast confusion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the series today, and noticed some differences between the cast listing in the encyclopedia, and the credits.

I did notice that at least part of this issue has come up before, in this thread from 2003, but there seems to have been changes to the cast list since then, because Ikihiro Hanawa is not listed on the cast list anymore.

As was stated in that topic, Ikihiro Hanawa is the one listed in ADV's credits (at least for volume 3, which is the only one I have). However, he is not listed on the cast list, nor does his entry have any roles listed. The series' Japanese wikipedia page agrees with ANN that the proper seiyuu is Hiro Yuuki, so I would assume that that is accurate.

However, I found other inconsistencies between the listed cast and the credited cast:
Chiemi Chiba, Ryoka Yuzuki, and Kahoru Sasajima are listed as Chiemi Shiba, Ryoka Yuki, and Kahoru Sasashima, respectively, which I'm assuming are just typos on the part of ADV, as none of those names appear in the encyclopedia (and after watching enough Ojamajo Doremi, Kibi definitely shares a voice with Doremi).

The character of Youzen is listed in the ANN cast twice, once for Ryotaro Okiayu, and once for Susumu Chiba. ADV's credits list Susumu Chiba, as does the Japanese wikipedia article. In the manga, the character does have another form, which may or may not have a different voice. However, I haven't seen all of the anime to confirm if that form appears and/or has a different voice, although the Japanese wiki does not list a separate voice. At this point, I'm unsure if it is incorrect or not, so I'm not marking Ryotaro Okiayu as an error.

Kyoko Tsuruno is listed as voicing "Inchao" according to the encyclopedia, yet the credits list a character named "Yinxiao" for this performer. I believe that this may be the same character, with different transliteration ("Inchao" being the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name of "Yinxiao").

The character Bunchu is not listed in the Japanese credits in the encyclopedia, but is listed on the ADV credits as Takahashi Matsuyama, whom I cannot find in the encyclopedia. However, Japanese wikipedia credits Takashi Matsuyama with the role, who is listed in the encyclopedia. As I am basing my identification of the role on a) the Japanese wikipedia entry (which I am cross-referencing the few names of series/roles that I can read with the ANN entry) and b) the similarities of the name, and c) the similarities to the other typos (adding/removing/changing single syllables of the names), I am not completely positive to the accuracy, so I'm not willing to list it myself, without help from others.

Another situation similar to the above, is with the character of "Chou Keihou", credited in ADV's credits to Yasunori Kawashima, who does not exist in the encyclopedia, yet Japanese wikipedia credits it to the family name-sharing Tokuyoshi Kawashima

ADV credits the character of "Youshin" to Fumishi Kaminobu, who also doesn't exist, and Japanese Wikipedia credits it to Hitoshi Bifu (completely different name...)

Gray Haddock, who is credited in the encyclopedia with Hakuyuko, is credited as Gray G. Haddock in the credits.

There are also 4 roles (1 Japanese, 3 English) that ADV credits to people not in the encyclopedia, that I cannot find resources for:
Tomomi Tenjin is credited as Ryodou, but while the name is similar to the encyclopedia's Tomomi Tenjinbayashi, the character is not credited on the Japanese wikipedia for me to cross-reference.
For English credits (for which I have no other resource to cross reference), Jeremiah Okanas (as Kou Tenka), Barton Dacron (as Kouhei), and Michael Whitener (as Fu Lin) are listed in the credits, and not the encyclopedia.

There are a number of other missing roles to the encyclopedia's list, but as they are all existing people in the encyclopedia, I have no problems adding those roles in, since it won't create anyone new. But those others I don't know what to do with.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
KNIGHT has a page for Soul Hunter with a complete cast list including all episode numbers and everything already condensed which I consider the best possible format for contributing resp. doublechecking.

Currently the Soul Hunter entry at ANN has no episode numbers as precisions. But you can add the same cast roles & seiyuu with a better precision and thus "over-credit" the existing cast. You end up with all entries that you added being flagged with a blue icon and episode numbers and everything you didn't contribute without these two so that you can see the difference between both.

That's what I did to get this result for Haibane Renmei.

Last edited by Devil Doll on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

ADV credits the character of "Youshin" to Fumishi Kaminobu, who also doesn't exist, and Japanese Wikipedia credits it to Hitoshi Bifu (completely different name...)

Given the readings of some of the kanji in his name (for example 上 could be read "kami"), it's possible someone just completely botched the reading of his name.

Quote:
Tomomi Tenjin is credited as Ryodou, but while the name is similar to the encyclopedia's Tomomi Tenjinbayashi, the character is not credited on the Japanese wikipedia for me to cross-reference.

I did a quick search, and I've found this for an additional resource. It could be 天神有海 Umi Tenjin who is listed for 呂能 (10-11), 侍女 (9), and 少女 (6). I'm guessing 呂能 may be the character you're looking for though the second kanji doesn't seem to read "dou" so I'm little confused (ADV's credits must be a real mess for this series Confused - that or it could be Knight transcribed the kanji wrong ). Japanese Wikipedia doesn't seem to mention her roles in the series, for whatever reason.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
As for the character names (which are indeed a problem considering the many possible readings of kanji and even katakana for outlandish names) it is essential that the contribution is done by someone who knows the series very well, has the Japanese audio track and the episode numbers for all credits so that you can listen how this character is being addressed in conversations.
Other than that, only secondary literature with character descriptions including hiragana/furigana (such as a manga/literature version of the story) would be able to supply the missing information.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the series and don't have the DVDs, but if you need to reference the ADV credits for a particular episode, the series is on TAN and I can access all 26 episodes with my subscription.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I would love to input all the episode precisions, the problem is, I only have volume 3, so I only have the credits for 10-13, and if characters are in more than just those episodes, it would mess things up.

My TV is a bit blurred, so the character I'm reading as Ryudou might be the character the Japanese wiki lists as Ryubou. Before I go adding anything, I'm gonna try putting the DVD in my laptop, to make sure I've got the spellings right.

Shiroi Hane, if you could even just get me screencaps of the cast section of the credits for 1-9 and 14-26, I could totally go through, look everyone up to make sure they're in the dictionary, and add the rest of the cast with precisions (and checking against the Japanese wiki for the Japanese cast, since ADV apparently sucks at reading names). Of course, if you want to. That would be quite an undertaking.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
KNIGHT has proven to be a reliable source for other animes; it would be a lot less work for you to use this page than try and read anything from a video. It has all the episode numbers for all cast members so that you don't need all the videos; and they're even "condensed" already, meaning you don't have to search a lot of episode sections to find all episodes for one particular character as each character/role has its separate episode list already. It's almost ready for direct input into ANN except for romanizing the character names. And this is where you might need the Wikipedia page that has hiragana for many character names as well.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I've copied the three character lists (Japanese wikipedia's character list (with pronunciations), Japanese wikipedia's cast list (without that) and KNIGHT's page (which has some pronunciations)), and I'm sorting through making myself a list of "Character | Hiiragana | Pronunciation | Voice Kanji | Voice | Episodes".

I've found some discrepancies, and some things that just confuse me, and I'm making a note of everything so that I can ask questions later. I'm also going to have to look up what the proper format of some of the names are (it's been a while since I read the earlier stuff, and I'm pretty sure where I'm at in the manga isn't in the anime).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1