• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonights Stand Alone Complex....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
Jungle Cruise.....okay, given the subject manner, was it edited for broadcast reasons or what? wanna know because I haven't gotten too far into the DVD's (only on the second one)
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Epsiode 10: "Jungle Cruise"

1. Opening scene of Marco and the woman darkened to obscure nudity.
2. Togusa's "Shit!" muted out right after he jumps out of the car.
3. Batou's "Aw, shit" muted after watching video of the seventh attack.
4. Batou's "Dickhead!" muted when he shoves the CIA agent.
5. Batou calling the CIA agent a "Piece of shit" muted.

And the ED credits were cut short and the "Tachikoma" short was cut as well, like all the other episodes.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, well, the PMRC or MPAA, which ever, are apperently strict about words such as "Shit" but not "bitch" or "bastard" or "damn."

I dont know why they edit it so. It seems really wiered considering how late it is on. And if people watch it, they probally know it exists and if they are up that late (at least where I am) then they probaly curse themselves.

Not to mention the South park movie was on and they said "F*ck" so, why not anime.

(this probaly has nothing to do with what you asked, but whatever.)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming its called a double standard. I noticed that there is alot of stuff allowed in cartoons that they don't seem to allow in anime, which is odd.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Also of note is the use of a "Parental Discretion" Advisory before the show. Since this was done on the half-hour, as opposed to the SOP of showing disclaimers every hour, you knew something was going to be up.

Another thing: Despite the language edits, there did seem to be more flagrant language than usual. It's understandable, all things considered.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Not to mention the South park movie was on and they said "F*ck" so, why not anime.
South Park is rated TV-MA.
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Why are people surprised that Adult Swim edited words like "s**t" and "f**k"? They've always edited these words because they are simply not allowed on television outside of premium channels except in special circumstances (like the famous "South Park" episode that have over 100 unbleeped uses of the word "s**t"). Comedy Central is a channel that can afford to take such liberties; Cartoon Network simply cannot.

Instead of wondering why Adult Swim is editing language that virtually every other broadcast station edits, we should be grateful that Adult Swim had only one minor visual edit (the obscuring of nudity, again a no-no outside of premium channels) for this episode and left in so much grisly detail.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Edits aside, what did everyone think of this episode? I was really impressed with it, especially because we finally got some back story on Batou. Considering that this was a standalone episode, it was as good if not better than some of the complex episodes. I can't wait to see what'll happen next Wink .

~LoneWolf
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Edits aside, what did everyone think of this episode? I was really impressed with it, especially because we finally got some back story on Batou. Considering that this was a standalone episode, it was as good if not better than some of the complex episodes. I can't wait to see what'll happen next Wink .

~LoneWolf
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
(the obscuring of nudity, again a no-no outside of premium channels) for this episode and left in so much grisly detail.

Of course, you didn't even see anything...
biliano*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Key wasn't kidding when he/she listed GITS Episode 10 as the "most disturbing episode" in his/her 2004: Best of the U.S. thread:

Quote:
Most Disturbing Episode: GITS: Stand Alone Complex episode 10.
If you can watch this episode without being bothered by the content then you’re probably psychotic. I can’t see how Cartoon Network is going to be able to broadcast it, even late at night.

Despite the disturbing images, I did liked this episode, in that it showed a different side of Batou. While I was watching this episode, I referred to the episode guide that Anime Insider printed in their latest issue (#19), and I found director Kenji Kamiyama's comments on this episode very interesting. If you haven't read the article, here's what Kamiyama-san said:

"Since Batou has such a cheerful yet hard-boiled image, I wanted to make a story about sorrowful manliness with him. Batou is the one who brings up the 'unfinished war' to Marco, but Batou is actually the one who can't get over the war. I hope the audience can tell the emotions he experiences when Batou finally realizes he's the one who's haunted by the past."
- from Anime Insider #19, p. 40

It might have been presented a little too graphic, but I believe Kamiyama-san accomplished his goal for this episode.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Of course, you didn't even see anything...

It has to do with sexual context. There was a Venture Bros. episode that CN's censors had a problem with because the stripper characters' outfits were too revealing. They animated it with the revealing outfits anyway, and CN ended up rejecting the take. So they'll eat their own profits to prove a point.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It might have been presented a little too graphic, but I believe Kamiyama-san accomplished his goal for this episode.

Could he if it wasn't so graphic. I think graphic images and language are important to telling some stories. I don't think the episode would have had the same impact on its audience if it hadn't been so graphic. War is hell.

Quote:
I was really impressed with it, especially because we finally got some back story on Batou. Considering that this was a standalone episode, it was as good if not better than some of the complex episodes. I can't wait to see what'll happen next .

I agree, it was awesome, and I too can't wait to see what comes next!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Not complaining, but I would have liked to have seen this story done as a two-episode sequence. I think everyone wanted to see more of this different side of Batou. The final emotional impact would have been more satisfying.

There is one point I was pondering over; why were the CIA agents, who were supposed to be Americans, Japanese. Even down to having Japanese names. It seemed that the show even made a point of that fact when the agents introduced themsleves. Sure, there are plenty of Japanese-Americans and some of them are in the CIA, but it still seems a little strange. Most any other show I wouldn't even bother about it, but considering this is GITS:SAC and everything has meaning, I wondered if there was some significance to that?
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
There is one point I was pondering over; why were the CIA agents, who were supposed to be Americans, Japanese. Even down to having Japanese names. It seemed that the show even made a point of that fact when the agents introduced themsleves. Sure, there are plenty of Japanese-Americans and some of them are in the CIA, but it still seems a little strange. Most any other show I wouldn't even bother about it, but considering this is GITS:SAC and everything has meaning, I wondered if there was some significance to that?

Apparently, the agents were trying to look as "Japanese" as possible to make themselves look good, even though they were doing a pretty poor job of it. Their bowing and overuse of "Gomen" (in the Japanese track) was overkill, and the name of one of the agents, Tanaka Watanabe, is apparently the Western equivalent of "John Smith" (i.e., a very common name).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2