• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Panty & Stocking, Inazuma 11, Agukaru Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
All of my excitement for Panty & Stocking went flying out the window. I enjoyed the power puff girls enough when it came out years ago but...that art style...wow...

I fully expect Mojo Jojo to make an appearance at some point.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Peroxid wrote:
lol Panty & STocking didn't look like an anime at all, more like an american adaptation of dead leaves. And was that Invader Zim?

Still I guess I'll give it a try, since it's gainax

This except I won't give it a try. It looks pretty stupid to be honest, going to definitely pass it up. Hopefully they make something better next time.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest. Panty & Stocking has really horrible art, IMO. I just don't see the appeal. Inazuma 11 seems more interesting, even. Razz
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Panty & Stocking looked really Gainax. I'm slightly surprised that it looks like it's actually going to be something to watch. The animation style was Gurren-Lagann-ish. And the music, by Taku Takahashi of m-flo, sounds really good. I guess I'm looking forward to everything in this show at this point, haha.

Inazuma Eleven is Inazuma Eleven.

But um, Agukaru... Why moe? And it looks like Flash animation.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it makes sense that Panty & Stocking looks Gurren-Lagann-ish, because the main GL talent is working on this, too:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-05/gurren-lagann-director-designers-on-new-gainax-work
Quote:
Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Dead Leaves) is directing the project, which is nicknamed "Pansuto," and Atsushi Nishigori (Gurren Lagann) is designing the characters. Another Gurren Lagann veteran, Yoh Yoshinari, is drawing the concept art.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can not figure out what I thought of Panty & Stocking. I guess the word to describe it is...different.

Gainax just seems to continue coming up with stuff that confuses the living hell out of us, even in Japan standards.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll be streaming Panty and Stocking if Funimation or Crunchyroll grab it. Of course a DVD would be pretty sweet, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Panty & Stocking is now officially on my watch list. Even if the show is terrible I will still watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Was that Gir?

Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
All of my excitement for Panty & Stocking went flying out the window. I enjoyed the power puff girls enough when it came out years ago but...that art style...wow...

I fully expect Mojo Jojo to make an appearance at some point.

The art style has looked the same for months, since the first art came out. How could you have anticipated it then and not now?
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Inuzuma Eleven? What's the hold up on an anime version of Area No Kishi? Inuzuma Eleven is so bloody silly, there's no way it can compare to real Football anime like Captain Tsubasa and Hungry Heart: Wild Striker. Although I'd pick it over the Red Blooded Eleven any day of the week, but that doesn't say much especially when you've got better stuff like Whistle, Moero! Top Striker, Giant Killing and Aoki Densetsu Shoot are better to watch. And that was Naruto's voice in the trailer!! Mamoru Endo's being voiced by Junko Takeuchi.

Yes, I watch Football anime and this is one that I'm really skipping out for it's ridiculous look.

That panty thing....What the hell is that?! Does that even count as anime? Even if it is made in Japan, I'd say The Boondocks and Avatar are more anime than that!

Last edited by the-antihero on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing It looks great. I'm liking the animation a lot. It reminded me of RE: Cutie Honey mixed with Milk-chan, but mostly old school Cartoon Network, which is by no means a bad thing. And the uh...vocals to that song were interesting.
sjp117

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Thats one hell of a sucker punch to a lot of anime fans. I think anything with no moe is a good thing. I personally always liked western, flash, style anime, the only problem I had with them is their shallow characters and story. With Ganiax making Panty & Stocking I don't think story would be a problem, it should be interesting. And the best part about this style is that when ever they flash their under wares or even any part of their exposed bodies I am not distracted by overly sexualized body parts, its less distracting. Just imagine the video thumb nail image where the girl has no cloths on but her under-wares in a generic anime art style would show extra large boobs, ass, with shinny plastic like skin and a cute face with red blushes... Mad Common thats just old and no one would want to see that.(well not a lot of people) Just by changing the art style they changed the kind of message an image gives. Imagine what kind of different story a whole series can show. I don't know about you guys, but Panty & Stocking looks like the most bold anime project I'v seen in a long time in japan. I'll definitely check it out. Even with all the moans from the trailer, the visuals could in no way disturb me and I really loved the music in the trailer. Did you guys hear the details in that music? I could even hear my alarm clock in there! There has to be a crazy people working on this and nothing is better than a crazy anime when every single anime coming out are generic and filled with fan service. Really wish Panty & Stocking to be good Wink
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
That panty thing....What the hell is that?! Does that even count as anime? Even if it is made in Japan, I'd say The Boondocks and Avatar are more anime than that!

Seriously, dude? It's made by Gainax. It doesn't matter what it looks like.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I'll be honest. Panty & Stocking has really horrible art, IMO. I just don't see the appeal. Inazuma 11 seems more interesting, even. Razz

Of course Inazuma 11 looks better and is more interesting. It's a movie on a movie budget. Clearly it's going to look better.
the-antihero wrote:
Inuzuma Eleven? What's the hold up on an anime version of Area No Kishi? Inuzuma Eleven is so bloody silly, there's no way it can compare to real Football anime like Captain Tsubasa and Hungry Heart: Wild Striker. Although I'd pick it over the Red Blooded Eleven any day of the week, but that doesn't say much especially when you've got better stuff like Whistle, Moero! Top Striker, Giant Killing and Aoki Densetsu Shoot are better to watch. And that was Naruto's voice in the trailer!! Mamoru Endo's being voiced by Junko Takeuchi.

While I admit all those shows are good, As you can see, only Captain Tsubasa compares in terms of episode length as well as a movie so I11 is doing something right. You're not really supposed to take it that seriously as it is mainly promotion for the childrens' video games that happens to make the show in comparison be very very popular.

And yes Endou is voiced by Takeuchi. What does that have to do with anything? Is Naruto's voice not allowed to be in one show? Does having Naruto's voice actress in it make it automatically suck? Light Yagami's voice is in the show too. If I didn't like him, does that make it worse?
the-antihero wrote:

It's made in Japan for a Japanese audience thus it is anime. Just because something does not look like the generic anime style does not make it not anime.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
i'm not sure what to think about Panty & Stocking. Part of me cannot wait to see it. The other part of me is telling me to avoid it like the plague.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6