• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deltora Quest Anime to Run on New U.S. Channel The Hub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Will they do the whole series? I hate it when I like something and it ends up being canceled close to the ending.

You and me both. Has happened before (Case Closed, Shin Chan, Lupin the third, Seven Samurai etc)

Has also happened with manga as well though. But I might be willing to check this series out. But I'll be honest, if I am not impressed within five minutes of the show, it's back to AS only.
fuzaco

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
Will they do the whole series? I hate it when I like something and it ends up being canceled close to the ending.

They'll certainly do the 52 episodes ... if they bought the rights, they've already spent the money.

The problem is that there is 65 episodes, not 52.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Cool, awesome. I can't wait to watch it. CN lost out.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing this.

Last edited by Ranma87 on Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
xScar

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
To (maybe) clear up the confusion over the 52 episodes thing.

The dub is your standard kids show dub. They've hacked it up, given it new music, and did whatever the want with it.

While the episodes aren't spliced (of what I've seen) like 4Kids did with One Piece, they still are edited within themselves. Scenes are not in the order like they were in the Japanese version and some are fully removed.

After episode 52, the anime goes into a filler season. When the show was originally airing, everyone believed it was ending at episode 52, but then when episode 53 aired, everyone went 'wut.' The main story, which are based off the books, ends at the 52nd episode. The show was popular enough to gain another season or so in Japan before it finally ended.

So for Dentsu to only have 52 episodes being dubbed, it's reasonable. The last portion is just filler.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As a repeat of what I said in the Magical Doremi thread a few weeks ago, the chances of this getting a dvd release of any kind are low...I would give it 20% at best given what I know about the anime industry and kid based dubs.

If you want to keep this series you might want to invest in a dvd recorder.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
@ xScar

That's reassuring to hear. Since its filler things in the end, I won't be too bothered by it, so now I'll give it a go.

@ Teriyaki Terrier

Understand that completely. Still won't finished the Disgaea 2 Manga and those other anime shows. I try to be weary in that I'll look into something if its finished or the episodes/chapters aren't connected storyline wise.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

The dub is your standard kids show dub. They've hacked it up, given it new music, and did whatever the want with it.

While the episodes aren't spliced (of what I've seen) like 4Kids did with One Piece, they still are edited within themselves. Scenes are not in the order like they were in the Japanese version and some are fully removed.

May I ask what scenes are edited out? Were they edits for content, or just time edits?
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
xScar wrote:

May I ask what scenes are edited out? Were they edits for content, or just time edits?
The series was produced in Japan with kids in mind... I would expect edits to be minimal or something on a toonami level.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't really do timestamps in episodes, since scenes really are thrown around (the first scene in the Japanese version is midway through the English one; a scene that is 40 seconds into the English is five minutes and 40 seconds in the Japanese).

Various scenes... which aren't anything out of the ordinary. Like, when Lief is fighting the Grey Guards in town, a random few seconds of him throwing some rocks at one of them is removed...

It's really hard to do an exact comparion, since seriously, the scenes are jumbled up. I'm not sure if they did this to stay more faithful to the books or what... It could have been time restraints... but I don't see why they would have to cut it down like that. The English stream ran at around 20 minutes, the Japanese at 24. Cutting the Opening/Ending down to a few seconds a piece already takes off a good portion. They also created their own preview.

This is all based off of episode one, since it was streamed online.

(another tidbit; it's cropped/pan-and-scanned to 4:3. The R2 DVDs are 16:9. All the videos I can find on youtube from around the world are all 4:3, so maybe the international version is only like this?)
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Can't really do timestamps in episodes, since scenes really are thrown around (the first scene in the Japanese version is midway through the English one; a scene that is 40 seconds into the English is five minutes and 40 seconds in the Japanese).

Various scenes... which aren't anything out of the ordinary. Like, when Lief is fighting the Grey Guards in town, a random few seconds of him throwing some rocks at one of them is removed...

It's really hard to do an exact comparion, since seriously, the scenes are jumbled up. I'm not sure if they did this to stay more faithful to the books or what... It could have been time restraints... but I don't see why they would have to cut it down like that. The English stream ran at around 20 minutes, the Japanese at 24. Cutting the Opening/Ending down to a few seconds a piece already takes off a good portion. They also created their own preview.

This is all based off of episode one, since it was streamed online.

(another tidbit; it's cropped/pan-and-scanned to 4:3. The R2 DVDs are 16:9. All the videos I can find on youtube from around the world are all 4:3, so maybe the international version is only like this?)
TV in most western countries is still not fully evolved into the HD 16:9 era, alot of hold outs still prefer 4:3 cropped video. On kids shows kids like the video "bigger" which is why they always get butchered.

I wouldn't worry though there is always someone out there re-timing English audio to the original video.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

It's really hard to do an exact comparion, since seriously, the scenes are jumbled up. I'm not sure if they did this to stay more faithful to the books or what...

Has anybody compared yet how much the Japanese changed from the original books? Confused
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Haterater wrote:

They'll certainly do the 52 episodes ... if they bought the rights, they've already spent the money.

The problem is that there is 65 episodes, not 52.

Yes, I know. I was addressing the series cancellation question.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping they air all 65 episodes but I would settle for 52.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
I have a fairly important update to add to this thread.

While there is no mention of a dvd release in the US or Canada as of now, madman australia has Deltora Quest: Lief's Adventure Begins (Collection 1) up for preorder, containing episodes 1-13, set to be released 06/30/2010.

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?method=view&releaseId=13399

Chances are more box sets will follow in succession, for English fans of the series these box sets may be a viable import.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3