• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime relationships

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
I just realized that the relationship "used to make" goes against the "rule" for how relationships work. Just as "B is a sequel of A", it should be "B is a compilation of A" rather than "A was used to make B".

I think this is a good time to update the relationships, so here are some ideas for new ones:

compilation: re-use of footage with same story, usually condensed to a shorter format
-> Macross Plus Movie is a compilation of Macross Plus OAV

remix: re-use of footage with different story (?)
-> Robotech is a remix of Macross
-> Robotech is a remix of Genesis Climber Mospeada
-> Robotech is a remix of Southern Cross

side story: separate story that occurs concurrently with the original story
-> pretty much every Doraemon movie is a side story of Doraemon TV
-> LoGH Overture is a side story of LoGH OAV (?)

please post your comments and ideas and then I'll add the suggestions that seem to have support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know about using the term 'remix,' it doesn't sound right. With music a remix uses existing lyrics and a different base sound or tempo.

I think 'recomposition' might work better for series that are sort of written over existing footage. Heh, it's sort of hard to define it no matter what term you use I suppose. That probably explains the question mark(?).

Hmm..

New story written with use/re-use of re-edited existing footage. (blegh)

New story told with use of existing footage. (simple, but not quite right, maybe.)

Separate story told with use/re-use of existing footage. (nah)

Re-editing of original footage used to tell a different/separate story. (ergh!?)

Use of existing footage to create a separate story. (simple again but, bleh)

Use of existing footage, often re-edited, to tell a different story. (I give up)

Maybe it's just me, maybe remix does work. I don't know. I'm sure someone will come along with a much better understanding of it (and the English language) than me.

I do like 'compilation' and 'side story' though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I would suggest "amalgam"/"amalgamation"

Of course, then it only works for series like Robotech which combined series... Stuff like the whole Voltron/Go Lion stuff (or Cardcaptor Sakura/Cardcaptors) wouldn't fit...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I would suggest "amalgam"/"amalgamation"

Of course, then it only works for series like Robotech which combined series...

I'd call them "chimera" instead ('cause I've never taken inorganic chemistry Razz ).

Dessa wrote:
Stuff like the whole Voltron/Go Lion stuff (or Cardcaptor Sakura/Cardcaptors) wouldn't fit...

The latter is just a rewrite and generally not considered as a different story. The former, however, is more similar to the Robotech case. Please refer to this thread for more information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I still unsure if we should use remix or rewrite or amalgam or something else, but anyway we'll need to replace the following 76 relationships. Maybe we'll be able to decide on what term(s) to use by going through real samples. Please write what relationship to use for the following titles. So far we have:
- compilation
- side story
- remix
- rewrite
- recomposition
- amalgam
- chimera

But don't feel restricted to these choices; use whatever word(s) you feel best describe the relationship, or more than 1 choice if you feel several of the above would be a good fit.

Ace wo Nerae! (movie) is a [relationship] of Ace wo Nerae! (TV)
Armitage III Polymatrix (movie) is a [relationship] of Armitage III (OAV)
Astro Boy: Hero of Space (movie) is a [relationship] of Astro Boy (TV 1/1963)
Seikai no Senki (movie) is a [relationship] of Banner of the Stars (TV)
Baribari Densetsu (movie) is a [relationship] of Baribari Densetsu (OAV)
Blue Gender: The Warrior (movie) is a [relationship] of Blue Gender (TV)
Brave King GaoGaiGar Final Grand Glorious Gathering (TV) is a [relationship] of Brave King GaoGaiGar Final (OAV)
Voltus 5 (movie) is a [relationship] of Choudenji Machine Voltes V (TV)
Voltes V: The Liberation (movie) is a [relationship] of Choudenji Machine Voltes V (TV)
Seikai no Monsho Special Edition (movie) is a [relationship] of Crest of the Stars (TV)
Dallos Special (OAV) is a [relationship] of Dallos (OAV)
Densetsu Kyojin Ideon: Sesshoku-hen (movie) is a [relationship] of Densetsu Kyojin Ideon (TV)
CB Chara Nagai Go World (OAV) is a [relationship] of Devilman (TV)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Digimon Adventure (movie)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game (movie)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Digimon: The Golden Digimentals (movie)
Cross Epoch (manga) is a [relationship] of Dragon Ball (manga)
Future GPX Cyber Formula: Early Days Renewal (OAV) is a [relationship] of Future GPX Cyber Formula (TV)
Robotech (TV) is a [relationship] of Genesis Climber Mospeada (TV)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man (OAV) is a [relationship] of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven (OAV) is a [relationship] of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
Maroko (movie) is a [relationship] of Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! (OAV)
Gunbuster vs Diebuster Aim for the Top! The GATTAI!! Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Gunbuster (OAV)
Gunbuster vs Diebuster Aim for the Top! The GATTAI!! Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Gunbuster 2 (OAV)
Initial D: Battle Stage (OAV) is a [relationship] of Initial D (TV)
Initial D: Battle Stage 2 (OAV) is a [relationship] of Initial D: Fourth Stage (TV)
Initial D: Battle Stage (OAV) is a [relationship] of Initial D: Second Stage (TV)
Initial D: Battle Stage (OAV) is a [relationship] of Initial D: Third Stage (movie)
Eagle Riders (TV) is a [relationship] of Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman F (TV)
Eagle Riders (TV) is a [relationship] of Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman II (TV)
Kiddy Grade -Ignition- (movie 1) is a [relationship] of Kiddy Grade (TV)
Lady Lady!! (movie) is a [relationship] of Lady Lady!! (TV)
Love Hina Final (special) is a [relationship] of Love Hina (TV)
Macross Plus Movie Edition (movie) is a [relationship] of Macross Plus (OAV)
Adesugata Mahou no Sannin Musume (OAV) is a [relationship] of Magical Angel Creamy Mami (TV)
Adesugata Mahou no Sannin Musume (OAV) is a [relationship] of Magical Fairy Persia (TV)
Majokko Club Yoningumi - A Kuukan Kara no Alien X (OAV) is a [relationship] of Magical Idol Pastel Yumi (TV)
Adesugata Mahou no Sannin Musume (OAV) is a [relationship] of Magical Star Magical Emi (TV)
Maison Ikkoku: Through the Passing of the Seasons (special) is a [relationship] of Maison Ikkoku (TV)
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria Watches Over Us (TV)
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria-sama ga Miteru (OAV)
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ (TV)
CB Chara Nagai Go World (OAV) is a [relationship] of Mazinger Z (TV)
Robotech: The Untold Story (movie) is a [relationship] of Megazone 23 (OAV)
Mizu no Iro, Gin no Tsuki (manga) is a [relationship] of Mizu to Gin (manga)
Mobile Suit Gundam - The Movie Trilogy (movie) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Last Blitz of Zeon (movie) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OAV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Special Edition (special) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Special Edition (OAV) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Operation Meteor (OAV) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (TV)
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz Special Edition (movie) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (OAV)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Miller's Report (movie) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (OAV)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation (movies) is a [relationship] of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV)
Nono-chan (TV) is a [relationship] of My Neighbors the Yamadas (movie)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (movie) is a [relationship] of Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
Cross Epoch (manga) is a [relationship] of One Piece (manga)
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (special) is a [relationship] of Petite Cossette (OAV)
Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (TV) is a [relationship] of Queen Millennia (TV)
RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio (movie) is a [relationship] of RahXephon (TV)
Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (TV) is a [relationship] of Space Pirate Captain Harlock (TV)
Document Taiyou no Kiba Dougram (movie) is a [relationship] of Taiyou no Kiba Dougram (TV)
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Guren-hen (movie) is a [relationship] of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (TV)
Tenku Senki Shurato (OAV) is a [relationship] of Tenku Senki Shurato (TV)
The Rose of Versailles: I'll Love You As Long As I Live (movie) is a [relationship] of The Rose of Versailles (TV)
Robotech (TV) is a [relationship] of The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (TV)
Robotech: The Untold Story (movie) is a [relationship] of The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (TV)
Robotech (TV) is a [relationship] of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV)
Transformers: Generations (manga) is a [relationship] of The Transformers (manga)
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (movie) is a [relationship] of The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (TV)
Turn A Gundam: Earth Light (movie 1) is a [relationship] of Turn A Gundam (TV)
Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend (movie) is a [relationship] of Urotsukidoji (OAV)
Vandread Taidouhen (OAV) is a [relationship] of Vandread (TV)
Vandread Turbulence (OAV) is a [relationship] of Vandread: The Second Stage (TV)
CB Chara Nagai Go World (OAV) is a [relationship] of Violence Jack (OAV)
X - X2 double X (OAV) is a [relationship] of X/1999 (manga)
Wrath of the Ninja - The Yotoden Movie (movie) is a [relationship] of Yotoden (OAV)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I can only comment on the ones I am familiar with.

Quote:

To be honest, in this case I think dormcat had it right with "chimaera".

Quote:

For this and the other two movies your "compilation" seems to work as that is what they are, give or take a scant few minutes of new material. If you could extend the relationship to the specific episodes ("Kiddy Grade Ignition is a compilation of Kiddy Grade TV episodes 1-11" "Kiddy Grade Maelstrom is a compilation of Kiddy Grade TV episodes 12-18" etc) then even better.

Quote:

This is a difficult one as the first half (death) was a compilation of the TV series, but the second half was essentially a preview of End of Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
For the ones I know, I'll comment with which I feel fit best

Quote:
Armitage III Polymatrix (movie) is a [compilation] of Armitage III (OAV)
Blue Gender: The Warrior (movie) is a [compilation] of Blue Gender (TV)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is an [compilation] of Digimon Adventure (movie)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is an [compilation] of Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game (movie)
Digimon: The Movie (movie) is an [compilation] of Digimon: The Golden Digimentals (movie)
Robotech (TV) is a [amalgam] of Genesis Climber Mospeada (TV)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man (OAV) is a [compilation] of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven (OAV) is a [compilation] of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam - The Movie Trilogy (movie) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Last Blitz of Zeon (movie) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OAV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Special Edition (special) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Special Edition (OAV) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny (TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Operation Meteor (OAV) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (TV)
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz Special Edition (movie) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (OAV)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Miller's Report (movie) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (OAV)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation (movies) is a [compilation] of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (movie) is a [remix] of Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio (movie) is a [remix] of RahXephon (TV)
Robotech (TV) is a [amalgam] of The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (TV)
Robotech (TV) is a [amalgam] of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV)
Turn A Gundam: Earth Light (movie 1) is a [compilation] of Turn A Gundam (TV)
X - X2 double X (OAV) is a [gaiden] of X/1999 (manga)

Definition of terms as I used them:

Compilation - Resulting product consists of a [usually condensed] version of the source material, following the highlights/main events of the original story. Even if it is condensed, the basic story [generally] unfolds the same as the original. New animation may or may not be used, but it is usually minor, and usually used to bridge over "episode gaps" (i.e., places where one episode ended and the next begins, and they need a smooth transition).

[Example from non-anime, of a non-condensation that works for this as well: ElfQuest (Marvel Reprints) is a [compilation] of ElfQuest (original) (because they went from 20 issues to 32 issues, new panels were drawn to bridge gaps that were previously separate issues. DC's manga-style ElfQuest: Grand Quest reprint has also done this (it's now about 7 or 8 volumes for the original 20 issues).]

Amalgam - Resulting product consists of a new story created with footage of the source material, which may or may not be related. May or may not use new footage.

Note re: Amalgam vs. Chimera- My boyfriend points out that, generally, a chimera is a combination of 3 things. The term amalgam does not have any limitations, and therefore is more all-encompassing.

[Example of fan-done Amalgam: The AMV "Anime Academy Heroes". It takes footage from about 5 or 6 different series and merges it into it's own story.]

Remix - Resulting product uses footage from the source material to tell a new version of the same story. It may or may not include additional footage, but usually does. The story may begin the same way, but end differently, or could tell a completely new story.

[I can't think of any examples of this outside of the encyclopedia, but the basic difference between an Amalgam and a Remix is that with a Remix, the new story is a retelling or revamping of the original story (hence why I used it for the Evangelion and RahXephon movies). With an Amalgam, they're telling a new story that's usually unrelated to the original story (like Robotech). BTW, the reason I put the Digimon movie as a Compilation, rather than Amalgam, is that, even though it's condensing 3 separate movies into one, it still keeps the story of the original movies, and is more like a series being condensed into movies.]

Gaiden - Resulting product is usually new material, but is related to the source material. These are often side-stories, but can also be music videos or character highlights.

[More examples like X2- The official Weiß Kreuz videos (Carnival 2000, Tokyo Sling, Other Side of the Moon, and... sorry, can't remember the 4th one. I used "Gaiden" 'because it fits in with anime more than using 'side-story', and stuff like X2 really isn't a side story... X2 is... X2.]

This does, however, bring up another point of interest. What about series that share source material that isn't in the encyclopedia? Such as multiple series that are based off of the same video game, but aren't directly related to each other? (I'm thinking of the HaruToki manga, anime, OAV, and movies).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I'm with Dessa on the RahXephon movie being a remix of the series. A combination of alternate retelling and made from, and the original anime links into the remix by the phrase "remixed into:"
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. My thoughts:

Doesn't it feel like chimera carries a certain negative connotation? I'd like to avoid using loaded terms in the encyclopedia and use only neutral wording. We're not in the business of denouncing "hack jobs".

We can add comments to relationships so for Kiddy Grade (TV) we could have:
Related anime:
     Kiddy Grade -Ignition- (movie 1) (compilation, eps 1-11)

Dessa, that's a great distinction you make between amalgam and remix. Very intuitive... once you read it!Wink I just might use remix to replace alternate retelling and alternate ending

But I don't think we'll be using gaiden. Since all other relationships are in english, having a Japanese word thrown in there would clash. Like when I proposed new genres, initiallly I had "tsuyoku-naritai" in there, but because it clashed with the other english genres we changed it to "tournament", which is not quite the same thing but close enough. Likewise, I think side story is good enough.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I just might use remix to replace alternate retelling and alternate ending

I'm not sure about this. In many cases a long TV series is an alternative retelling of a single episode movie/OVA (i.e. "pilots"), without "remixing" any original material, such as the recent Strike Witches, unless you'd move them under remake category which, in this case, were animated by the same studio with very short interval in between and minimal audio/visual enhancements.

Dan42 wrote:
Likewise, I think side story is good enough.

So what exactly is the difference between side story and spinoff? I assume the former focused on the same people while the latter focused on other(s)?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
I've replaced the relationships for the titles given by Shiroi Hane and Dessa. The possible of relationships are now:

related through story continuity
- sequel of (happens *after* the original; direct continuation)
- side story of (happens *during* the original)
- prequel of (happens *before* the original)
- spinoff of (same universe, focusing on different characters)

alternate versions of a given story
- remake of (same core story, "new and improved" animation/music/etc)
- compilation of (same core story, re-use of footage, usually condensed to a shorter format)
- alternate retelling of (same core premise, story diverges)
- remixed from (same core premise, story diverges, re-uses footage from original)
- an amalgam of (footage used to create a new story)
- alternate ending for (ignore end of original and craft new ending)

related through publishing structure / other
- part of (part of a collection/anthology)
- used to make (e.g. Macross was used to make Robotech)
- serialized in (ran in a manga magazine)
- adapted from (format change: manga to anime or anime to manga)
- related to (exact type of relationship is unknown)
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (special) is a [compilation of] of Petite Cossette (OAV). The three OVA episodes were squashed into a shorter TV-aired special.

Quote:
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria Watches Over Us (TV)
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria-sama ga Miteru (OAV)
Maria-sama ni wa naisho (special) is a [relationship] of Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ (TV)

These three are a tough call. The naisho specials are short comedic scenes from the "filming" of Maria-sama ga Miteru with SD versions of the characters and using completely new animation. Maybe just "related to" would be best, since none of the other possible relationships really fit.

Also, you don't have it on your list of titles up there, but Hellsing Ultimate is either a "remake of" or "alternate retelling of" Hellsing TV. It seems to fit both definitions...it's a "new and improved" version of Hellsing TV, but everything after the first few episodes tells a different story from the TV series, since Ultimate pretty closely follows the manga and the TV series' later episodes didn't, so it can also be though of as an alternate retelling. Right now, they are not shown as having a relationship at all, but they definitely do have one.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Personally, for Hellsing (TV) vs. Hellsing Ultimate (OAV), I wouldn't even link them.

Hellsing (TV) is an adaptation of Hellsing (manga)
Hellsing Ultimate (OAV) is an adaptation of Hellsing (manga).

Ultimate isn't a retelling of the TV series to follow the manga better, is a completely new adaptation of the manga.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Personally, for Hellsing (TV) vs. Hellsing Ultimate (OAV), I wouldn't even link them.

Hellsing (TV) is an adaptation of Hellsing (manga)
Hellsing Ultimate (OAV) is an adaptation of Hellsing (manga).

Ultimate isn't a retelling of the TV series to follow the manga better, is a completely new adaptation of the manga.

The encyclopedia usually does link them in cases like this, though, as in the cases of Negima! and Negima!? and Kanon 2002 and Kanon 2006. These were both completely new adaptations of their source material.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Reviving this thread because I just converted the relationships for most of the titles listed above, but there's still a few that I have no idea about:

Brave King GaoGaiGar Final Grand Glorious Gathering (TV) composed of Brave King GaoGaiGar Final (OAV)
Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (TV) composed of Space Pirate Captain Harlock (TV)
Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (TV) composed of Queen Millennia (TV)
Document Taiyou no Kiba Dougram (movie) composed of Taiyou no Kiba Dougram (TV)
Eagle Riders (TV) composed of Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman F (TV)
Eagle Riders (TV) composed of Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman II (TV)
Future GPX Cyber Formula: Early Days Renewal (OAV) composed of Future GPX Cyber Formula (TV)
Maroko (movie) composed of Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! (OAV)
Mizu no Iro, Gin no Tsuki (manga) composed of Mizu to Gin (manga)
Tenku Senki Shurato (OAV) composed of Tenku Senki Shurato (TV)

So I'd like to convert "composed" to compilation / remix / amalgam / spinoff / etc. Anyone knows about those anime?

Interestingly (and annoyingly), the situation for GaoGaiGar Grand Glorious Gathering is similar to the renewed Haruhi Suzumiya situation. We're gonna have to figure that one out somehow. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2