• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
horror VS supernatural

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Two genres that keep bothering me are horror and supernatural. The feeling that there is a misconception of what is horror comes from my view that horror is one of the weakest links in anime. The biggest difference between live-action and animated horror stories is the potential level of fear and anxiety. There is an Ask John article about it, but I believe it can probably be explained better by a psychologist.

Dan42 wrote:
horror (morbid, gruesome, frightening)
Attempts to make the viewer experience dread, fear, terror, or horror, including the revulsion that can be felt at the sight of blood, gore, grotesque and slimy things. Often the plot involves the intrusion of an evil force on the mundane world and the (horrific) consequences thereof.

supernatural (vampires, ghosts, occult)
Story set in our world, featuring the kind of magic and monsters that have existed as part of human folklore for centuries; vampires, demons, spirits, exorcisms, etc. As opposed to fantasy and magic which are obviously imaginary, this type of story can be presented as "maybe not fiction", just a story occurring in the dark corners of our world where regular people don't venture.
[cannot be combined with fantasy or magic]

When I look at this list generated by just selecting the horror genre, I ask myself: do these titles really make the viewer experience dread, fear, terror, or horror? Most seem more like they could merely be classified under supernatural instead.

I would suggest that viewers be forced to choose between one of the two like drama vs. slice of life, but then I wonder if it can technically be done since supernatural already can't be combined with fantasy or magic.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
When I look at this list generated by just selecting the horror genre, I ask myself: do these titles really make the viewer experience dread, fear, terror, or horror? Most seem more like they could merely be classified under supernatural instead.

Agreed. How is Akira a horror movie? Worse, some of them aren't either horror or supernatural - the likes of Perfect Blue and Paprika for example.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
I would suggest that viewers be forced to choose between one of the two like drama vs. slice of life, but then I wonder if it can technically be done since supernatural already can't be combined with fantasy or magic.

Technically, it wouldn't be a problem. But I know a lot of movies (of which at this late moment I can't find a name, sadly enough) which are horror AND supernatural.
Follow-up when I remember some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
LOL. Excellent point wolfie. I was so focused on pointing out horror which isn't horror that I overlooked that minor detail. Forget the choice between horror and supernatural. The best alternative solution I can think of is something that oddly Mylene and I suggested at the same time. Why isn't there an audit before letting a genre or theme being posted on the website? It's weird that anyone can add genres and themes so easily, but to take them down you need a whole bureaucracy.
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
rti, you hit one of my sore points when it comes to confusing supernatural and horror. The simple fact is that people frequently slap the horror label onto anything that has supernatural elements.

Now the two genres are not mutually exclusive and frequently coalesce. Most horror titles have supernatural elements and many supernatural titles will contain horror elements. However, one must consider if the overall intent of the title is to frighten or create anxiety in its audience or to do something else.

However, xxxHOLiC, while clearly within the supernatural genre, is anything but a horror anime series. But yet, it has been classified as such. And what about Ghost Stories or Yu Yu Hakusho?

Now two genres I do think are usually mutually exclusive are comedy and horror.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Why isn't there an audit before letting a genre or theme being posted on the website? It's weird that anyone can add genres and themes so easily, but to take them down you need a whole bureaucracy.

I thought the same thing when the audit system was first introduced, but thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be practical because of how many little-known anime there are out there. There are quite a few entries in the encyclopedia that have only been seen by a handful of people, and many more than have been marked as "seen" by well under 50. Because you and I actively contribute to the encyclopedia in any way we can by doing audits and adding information as we find it, it's easy to forget that the average user doesn't do that. Even with 50 users having marked something as "seen," an audit could still take a while, because only a fraction of those users would bother to do audits. For all of these little-known anime, it would take a very, very long time for their audits to finish, and it's very possible that for some of the really little-known anime, it would never be finished. If the system was changed to wait for an audit to finish before adding the information to the site, it could easily take months or years before some of them had genres or themes listed in their entry.

At least, that's what I think is the reason for not doing things that way. I could be completely wrong. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1