• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyou Kara Maou - second series, or just new episodes?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
I noticed that the new episodes of Kyou Kara Maou are being treated as a continuation, rather than a second series. Is this correct? These new episodes began airing over two years after the first set ended, and an OVA was released in the interim (labeled in the encyclopedia as a "sequel," which would be incorrect if these new episodes were just a continuation). Given the amount of time that has passed, it appears to be a second series, rather than just a continuation.

If it is not considered a new series, then both the air dates and the episode count will have to be changed. I did not want to submit error reports for these, because I was unsure about whether this should be considered a new series and get its own encyclopedia page. It's likely that the staff is already aware of this and a decision was reached to consider it all part of the same series, rather than create a new encyclopedia entry, but I figured I should bring it up here, just to be sure.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
My personal opinion is that if there's a change in title (Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R, etc; Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, GitS:SSS 2nd Gig; etc), then it should be a separate entry. But, that's just my opinion.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
KKM is a tough choice. Its first and second seasons were continuous, but the third (current) season started as recent as this April. As Dessa said, none of them has a sub-title other than "2nd series" and "3rd series."

Personally I tend to keep 1st and 2nd together and have the 3rd series separate. Most important reason: broadcasting of the 1st and 2nd series were continuous, as well as episode numbers listed on the official site; the 3rd series has a two years gap and counts its episodes from #1.

It's 2 AM here so I'll continue this topic tomorrow. Anime dazed More ideas welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Personally I tend to keep 1st and 2nd together and have the 3rd series separate. Most important reason: broadcasting of the 1st and 2nd series were continuous, as well as episode numbers listed on the official site; the 3rd series has a two years gap and counts its episodes from #1.

I agree with this.

And although the two year gap between episodes alone doesn't necessarily mean it's a new series (although such a gap is pretty unusual and normally would indicate a new series), I think if even the official site has started the episode count over at #1 (which, as you said, was not done when the second season started), then it really does appear to be a new series, rather than just new episodes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Anyone with different opinion(s)? If not I'm going to single out "season 3" since both cardcaptormanda and I agree about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Done.

Please DO NOT submit information that had already been submitted to the first+second series (#3471); episode titles in particular. We'll migrate whatever belongs to the third series to #10056.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1