• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rica Matsumoto Denies Reportedly Leaked Pokémon Document on End of Ash/Pikachu Era

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animaters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
that's just how show biz doublespeak is. the leak been confirmed as legit by credible sources
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Too few people have approached what was posted with skepticism. There was no link to the associated materials in Japanese, just plain text that anybody could have written. The mention of George Lucas seems specifically targeted at an English-speaking audience, and the random mention of Serena is way too inside baseball for the Anipoke fandom. And it was posted by someone notorious for just grabbing anything they can, including stuff people make to mess with them.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:33 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
There was no link to the associated materials in Japanese, just plain text that anybody could have written.

I really wanted to see that document in japanese, because from the english one I saw I can't tell if they meant "strained relations between the Matsumoto and Ootani" or "strained relations between the anime producers and the voice actress".
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:11 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, that rumor never made sense. Would they really drop Ash the money-cow for that? I feel like you wouldn’t even need to bring Ikue in to record new sounds anymore.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, it would be nice if the voices of one of the most iconic duos in anime got along well.
James02

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:46 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Well, it would be nice if the voices of one of the most iconic duos in anime got along well.

And they do, they totally do.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:47 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
that's just how show biz doublespeak is. the leak been confirmed as legit by credible sources

Even if the leaked discussion in question turns out to be real (keep in mind a lot of fake leaks keep getting mixed in with the real leaks), the document does not actually say Matsumoto-san and Ohtani-san were fighting with each other, nor that the anime would end because of any fighting.

I'm not really fond of the idea of sharing leaked text, especially if it does turn out to be fake, but for the sake of context seriously needed in this discussion, here is the quote at the core of the controversy:

Quote:
Miyahara-san: Ishihara has always pushed for new challenges. At one point, there was even a suggestion to keep Ash and Pikachu but change the voice actors. There were also internal discussions about parting ways with Rica Matsumoto and Ikue Ohtani due to strained relations.

People literally cannot read. I'm still waiting to find the original Japanese document to confirm any language quirks that might've been missed in the translation, but for now, this is all I have and it insinuates nothing like the rumors being spread.

This leak has been nothing but a headache of misinfo for a translator like me. People are taking machine translations at full face value, getting excited over minute details and words, and then getting angry when actual translators and Japanese speakers chime in to correct them and debunk their theories or headcannons. Y'all, this stuff isn't canon. It's neat, and I think it's fun to see the process of how lore and assets in a game are developed, but almost everything coming out was scrapped. Treat it as such.
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why the bothered ending Ash & Pikachu.
Main character of new show has a Pikachu & Charizard.
Same thing different day.
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber wrote:

Friede is not the main character, he's a mentor figure who hadn't even been in the show for the last 22 episodes.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
I think Juno016 raises a number of important points. I never interpreted the document as referring to strained relationships between Matsumoto and Ohtani (more, they had individual strained relations with the anime team. However, we haven’t seen the original Japanese for any of these leaked documents, so even if the original documents are legitimate, the accuracy of the translations could still be in doubt.

DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber wrote:

If we take the reported leaked document at face value, then there were a number of reasons. Chiefly, ratings of the show were declining, and there were concerns about where else was left to take Ash’s character arc. Pikachu and Charizard are franchise mascots in their own right, so it makes sense that they would continue to be prominent after Ash. Heck, Ash didn’t even have his Charizard for the majority of his time as the protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1