• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 9 volumes, written by Kei Sazane, illustrated by Neco)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Project No. 9

Genres: action, fantasy

Themes: alternate world, sorcery

Plot Summary: The war between the five races on earth—the humans, the Demonic Race, the Wild God Race, the Spirit Race, and the Phantom Beast Race—has ended in humans' victory. It is said that Prophet Sid sealed the other four races in the black pyramid now called the "Crypts."

Kai's job is to watch the crypts and ensure that nothing changes. He is also training to save humans when the other races break the seal and return to this world. The crypts looked quiet today, but after Kai felt the world bending in front of his eyes, everything changed. World Rebirth was activated. Now Kai is in a totally different world where no one knows him, but he remembers everyone.

Air Date & Platform:
July 13, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess third times the charm. I didn't particularly like or dislike Kei Sazane's Gods Games We Play. I think I watched about 7 episodes of it before I stopped mustering up the wherewithal to spend half an hour watching it, but I can certainly see why some people might like it more than I do.

I liked Our Last Crusade better, mostly because I liked the relationship between the two leads though I found the scenes where they weren't together pretty bland, and there were a lot of them. But I certainly thought it was a competently done story. I'd probably rate it a C+ if I was giving it a report card. I haven't started watching season 2 yet because I want to rewatch the last few episodes of season 1. I've forgotten a lot if that says anything.

So I delayed watching Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World and finally got around to it with mid to low expectations, I watched the first scene with some Kirito looking dude rescuing a bound woman from a cage and sneered because it reminded me of the story arc where Sword Art Online went off the rails for me in season 1, where Asuna went from being awesome to being reduced to a fan service hostage. .

But then, holy crap, the anime actually started and I was drawn into it. When the world was reset into a war torn apocalypse, I really felt pangs of remorse. I'm invested way more than I expected,.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised nobody (That's right, I'm counting myself as nobody because of near crippling self-esteem) has commented on this show. Has it been lambasted by the critics or something? In any case, as of week 3 I'm still finding it a solid, enjoyable anime with a pretty interesting premise.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch it yet I have decided to not go beyond my 25 show limit anymore to keep things fun. Since I am at said limit I am gonna have to drop a show if I want to add Why Does to the rotation. I may do so but it is also possible that I will watch the whole thing in one go near the end of this season.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, you managed to wring 25 anime out of this season? After dropping Rookie Adventurer and Strongest Magician in the Demon Army, I think I'm watching 12ish. 16ish if you count 2 holdovers from last season and 2 old series that some bastar(koff)...I mean, friends...from this forum convinced me to go back and retry. Or whichever anime I forgot while I went through the week counting on my fingers.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
Alright, I spoke too soon. I had some time on my hands yesterday afternoon and wound up watching 3 anime that I'd put off - The Evil Lt. & Magic Girl, Dead Dead Demons, And Atri, and I wound up liking all 3 of them. I guess I'll have to try Bye Bye Earth and the one about cheerleading too.

To sort of quote Al Pacino in Godfather 3 - Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this season is not as crazy as the previous few but there is still a lot to enjoy. If you are a romance fan you might be experiencing one of the best ever seasons due to sheer quantity.
Waid Rabby Nadaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I like the series, it's probably my favorite Kei Sazane work (Our Last Crusade's first season was good, the second is taking some getting used to, I just couldn't get into Gods Games We Play).

The world building is cool ; with a neat mix of science and fantasy, and they do a good job developing the different Races that make up the setting with their own unique designs and skills. Plus it's nice to have a multiple timeline world series that doesn't get too confusing.

The action and animation are also quite well done, especially considering that Project No.9 hasn't done a lot of action series before.

I don't know how much of the story the adaptation will cover, but I'm looking forward to more.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:08 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I'm still watching it, still digging it, and still thinking it's my favorite work of the author's so far. I will say that if there was a trash talking award for each season, the demon hero /queen would be a frontrunner.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:45 pm Reply with quote
If this show had better visuals and not feel like a somewhat generic PS2 era RPG for both good and for bad, I think I would like this show more, but I do find myself interested in the world building and story itself after a not great first impression.

I think so far, a lot of my anime watches have been 25% great to good enough, 50% middling, and 25% mediocre to terrible.

I'm at least more interested in this show than most since a lot of summer seasons are typically the worst seasons of the year.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
E4- I can forgive some poor visuals if the story/concept is good and is well enough written to convey it in an interesting way, so I'm here to say I am hooked! It took a while to draw me in, but this show is more interesting than a number of the more popular shows this season and I think it has potential to be a stealth/sleeper...well "hit" is a bit too much. It is currently under appreciated according to the viewer rankings at least IMHO.

What is most compelling is the central mystery and the likely paradox involving multiple parallel dimensions that Hero Sid ( Laughing ) set into motion and I am currently fascinated to see how the author has this play out.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Ep11- I at least am still watching and while I'd say it isn't terrible, there is so much wasted potential it's hard to be optimistic for the ending. If they did what I thought they would in my last post it would be a much more interesting and compelling story, but what we have instead is an effort to unite the "five races" now under Prophet Jeanne with the admonition to "fight hatred" and stand around and act like idiots when the freaky and totally sus Last Riser monster shows up at each crisis to do mahem and not attack it on sight with the proven effective Code Holder "sword" despite having witnessed three instances where LR was the enemy!

No one proposes "we have to find a way to get LR, it is obviously behind all the crap to date" and pulls all the races together to formulate a plan as one would reasonably expect, but when she/it shows they wonder "where did it come from? Is that behind the problem du jour? Isn't that what was causing the problem last time? it might be different....

Also, there has been a lot of pixelation effects in use when LR shows up and terminology suggesting this might be in a digital pseudo-reality and LR is an enemy AI or "bug" and if that turns out to be the case, I'll flip tables for wasting my time and interest...

About the only good aspect of the show is that other than concerning LR, most of the cast acts reasonably and somewhat realistically given circumstances.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't going to say anything because it feels a bit like kicking a series that I don't hate when its down, but I feel like the series...well, maybe not shit the bed, but at least sharded.

For me, I suppose it first started after the death of the demon queen. The series still held together pretty well for a few episodes after that, but if the series were a submarine, it would have been around then that I started spotting leaks in logic and pacing.

The best thing this show has going for it is the relationships IMHO, which feel a little stronger to me than the ones in the author's other works. In a way, having a whole lost history that the supporting characters aren't aware of gives the relationships between them and the MC a sense of depth that works for me. The idea that they sense a connection from a past that's been wiped out is kind of tragic and cool and allows the author to get away with some superficial handling that doesn't fly in Gods Games, for example..

But the handling of world shaking conflict - both with the big boss and the wars between species - began to feel shallow and boring to me. I think I would have preferred that the show/source material take the whole season dealing with the demons and doing more world building and keeping the big boss in the shadows and taking time to build up to something that feels earned. Instead, I feel like it rushed to some big reveals and encounters that feel hasty and plot driven.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep12- To be clear, I don't "hate" this show and quite like it outside the annoying way it kept the characters away from doing anything sensible against the obvious instigating threat until this last episode. Now it's obvious they were holding out for a second season and/or the "read the manga! Very Happy " effect. I don't think expressing that annoyance is "kicking 'em when they're down" when I did add a positive and I just wished they would have gotten more into Rinne's backstory and hints about what is going on with that world and Last Riser's place in it. Still feel like the answer will be "computer-generated reality with sentient AI", etc and if so, that is where I'll kick 'em for being lazy and dumb... Confused
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:02 am Reply with quote
Oh, I wasn't criticizing you, I was trying to explain my own hang up and why I personally stopped commenting on the series. I didn't hate the later episodes as I watched them, but I kind of felt like I was resignedly forcing myself to watch them instead of looking forward to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2