• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote

(A) Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero (TV)

Source:

Demographic:

Animation Studio:

Genres:

Themes:

Plot Summary: Kaito Takagi is a high school student with a mob character and low status. He's an ordinary explorer who hunts slimes every day in dungeons that appear in Japan. One day, he encounters a golden slime that he has never seen before.

Baffled, he still manages to defeat the slime and get an extremely rare item called the "servant card," which can summon mythical beings and has a value of hundreds of millions. He then summons a valkyrie, a beautiful warrior maiden. Kaito starts his adventure to rise from being a mob to a hero.

Air Date & Platform:
July 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The first episode gets my (tentative) most boring premiere of the season award. That is not even a snarky joke, be it how it looks, sounds and what is happening on screen: nothing Exploration Hero does is remotely interesting. The mc is a sack of potatoes, the animation is poorly done and the dungeon just seems boring and very grey. Add to that any lack of an interesting story and some badly done romance and that is kind of it. There is the loli servant I suppose but she has no personality either.

The only thing I liked was the use of bugspray to defeat slimes. The show released with two episodes, so maybe it will suddenly get better....dropped unless I hear people saying it gets way better.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't find the anime nearly as irritating as you seemed to, though I admit that I didn't find it a thrill a minute either. I'm a sucker for a game-turned-into-life level progression type fantasy, so I do get the appeal of the scenario.

That said, the interactions between whatzis name - I've watched a big backlog of new anime this weekend, and it's going to take me even longer than usual to get all the names down - and his female crush seems one note. Aside from a brief traumatic flashback to Made in Abyss when they mentioned her missing parent, I didn't have much reaction to her because they haven't really given her much personality other than worrying.

The Valkyrie summons is cute, but I'd ten times prefer a good old fashioned, sexist, insulting, boobalicious fan servant in a string to a cute, innocent little sister type lolli in an anime like this, because I'm constantly paranoid that the anime is going to suddenly have a hot spring pop up or whatever. That's not to say I'd mind a fully clad, smart, tough Valkyrie with a distinct personality either.

The monster fighting hasn't been exciting either, mostly used as very, very, very low key comedy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
I wish it did irritate me honestly since that means it made me feel something. Nothing hooked me, made me interested or made me feel something good or bad. The show is just kind of there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1