• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV 2/2019).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Fruits Basket (TV 2/2019) + 2nd Season (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural

Plot Summary: After a family tragedy turns her life upside down, plucky high schooler Tohru Honda takes matters into her own hands and moves out into a tent. Unfortunately for her, she pitches her new home on private land belonging to the mysterious Sohma clan, and it isn't long before the owners discover her secret. But, as Tohru quickly finds out when the family offers to take her in, the Sohmas have a secret of their own--when touched by the opposite sex, they turn into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

It's been so long since I've seen Fruits Basket but this gave me a very familiar feeling again. Welcome back Tohru! I think her new VA can work for her character. In the meantime, we got to see a little bit of her past. The show retains its lighthearted humor as I remember from the franchise. Yuki's club of fangirls are also here already in the first episode lol

Nice to see some important characters like Yuuki and Kyo showing up too. Great start, can't wait to see more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I have not really seen the first series, so I am kind of into this. Of course I already have a pretty good idea, it is hard to be part of the anime fandom and not get an understanding of the story of Fruits Basket, and it was an enjoyable first episode. Tohru being an enjoyable character.
miketan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
When a young girl stays in the same house as three other young lads then the outcome is really predictable. Awkward and silly moments! Also, with three natural nemesis namely rat, cat and dog so we can expect lots of smashing around the house with Tooru helps to calm things up. i sense this anime has predictable outcome each time.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know yet how many episodes/seasons are planned for the 2019 remake?

The only thing I've read so far that suggests a timeline was that the producers planned to cover the entire manga series.

After the end of the original production (26 episodes) I read the entire manga series to see how the story continued.

Fear not, no spoilers ahead.
I discovered that the first anime only covered roughly 6 chapters of the manga series, which was 23 chapters total. If the producers really intend to cover the entire manga for this remake, and do the story artistic justice, a lot more than 26 anime chapters (in many seasons) would be needed.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks and happy viewing,
Alan Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
If I am not mistaken, I did notice that the title included the words "Season 1", so it points that there are plans for multiple seasons.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
In the most recent podcast, Zac mentioned that there would be 52 episodes. He didn't say if it would be continuous though.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If I am not mistaken, I did notice that the title included the words "Season 1", so it points that there are plans for multiple seasons.

Hi DuskyPredator,

I've been watching the stream on CR. Re-checked and still didn't see a season number in the title. Never occurred to me to check Funimation's show page, and sure enough, there it is: "Season 1 Episode 1".

As Alan45 has pointed out, Zac announces in ANNCast 347 (~13:00) that there will be 52 episodes and that they're "going to adapt the whole thing."

Thanks to both of you for the nudge,
Alan Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

Last edited by AlanMintaka on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
miketan wrote:
When a young girl stays in the same house as three other young lads then the outcome is really predictable. Awkward and silly moments ... lots of smashing around the house with Tohru helps to calm things up. i sense this anime has predictable outcome each time.

Hi Mikefan,

You might want to hang in there for more than a few episodes. The overall plot runs a lot deeper than a "predictable outcome each time."

Of course, I have the luxury of having seen the first anime series and having read the entire manga series, so it's easy - what the hell, it's condescending - for me to say that.

But forget my obvious bias and give it a chance anyway. You might be pleasantly surprised as the plot develops beyond the seemingly "reverse harem" startup.

Happy viewing,
Alan Mintaka

--Walt Whitman
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
I've been watching the stream on CR. Re-checked and still didn't see a season number in the title. Never occurred to me to check Funimation's show page, and sure enough, there it is: "Season 1 Episode 1".

I am watching it on Crunchyroll, and that is where I Caught it. I think that it was towards the end of the episode when the credits start to run, I could see it said season 1. It went by pretty fast, so it was practically by chance that I caught it by paying good amount of attention.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
I find the voice of Tohru's seiyuu rather grating, to be honest. I hope she manages to find a more modulated presentation down the road.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'm watching the dubbed version because Laura Bailey. Why would any English speaker choose otherwise is beyond me.

Anyways, Episode 1. Oh, Tohru. Every time. Every time, damn it. Sniff... The girl needs a hug and... this series... always...

What I didn't like, the transformation effects which really stick out and I miss the original opener and closer. But they're not deal breakers though.

Excellent.
Hang in there, Tohru. It'll get better.
Eventually.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

"...I miss the original opener and closer..."

Yes, there are a lot of nostalgic parts I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing again.

I miss the original interval between scenes. It was a graphic of Shigure sitting, Tohru standing on opposite sides of the house's porch. They were in silhouette (light of dusk or dawn I guess) with their backs to the 4th wall. A sort of upbeat refrain played in the background. Worked for me, anyway.

Happy viewing,
Alan Mintaka

--Walt Whitman
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode, episode 5, has always been the hardest for me to watch in this anime. I almost wanted to skip it but I'm entirely glad I didn't. Those two spoiler[couldn't have come any sooner to save her.]

The parts we never got to see in the original anime were played out this time and I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping episode 6 should be quite the comedy skit.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
Until I read this thread I was unaware they plan to tell the entire story. I am very excited to learn this. I can't wait to see all of it. I like the more refined look of this remake. I generally don't buy shows a second time but this one will be an exception for sure Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2