• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
So out of curiosity, is anyone else watching Sanrio Boys? I gotta say that this show surprised me. I didn't have any expectations going in, but I'm actually really enjoying it. I've never been a huge fan of Sanrio, but the show has done a really great job at getting me to care about the guys. I legit almost cried when they went into Kouta's backstory.

As a side note, I find it interesting how at one point during every episode, the camera does a first person POV where the audience gets to 'interact' with the guys in some way. For instance, in an episode Kouta is looking for something and then turns toward the camera and asks "Did you see where they went?". I don't recall ever watching a series that did that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
^ I am. It's reasonably pleasant and mostly harmless. Smile I don't recall noticing that moment you mentioned though. Hmm.

I'm also watching gdgd men's party. It's actually a lot of fun, since I think they're ad-libbing most of it. I don't think I could stand the gdgd Fairies though, since a concentrated dose of the girls' voices would likely drive me right up the wall. The Princess moment in men's party is quite enough (but also usually pretty funny).
saiyanfever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
Getting started with My Hero Academia. Friend recommended it to me and i'm trying to get into Anime more. Also Dragon Ball Super Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm also watching gdgd men's party. It's actually a lot of fun, since I think they're ad-libbing most of it.

Oh yesh!! I was laughing my ass off; watched all four current episodes last night. Anime hyper I'd have watched it sooner had I known Matsuoka was voicing Light. My anime club was like ".......you just have to watch this. I can't describe it...."

I also started How to Keep a Mummy

I'm suspecting Japan is conspiring to kill all the otaku with cute and sugar this season. Anime hyper
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished watching Kakegurui that was finally released by Netflix on the first and I have to say, it was definitely one of the more crazier rides I’ve experienced in my time as an anime fan. I’ve heard from some places on the Internet that’s it’s a terrible gambling series, which I disagree. In fact, I prefer to think of it as more of a thriller that contains gambling rather than just a plain old regular gambling series, and in that aspect, it succeeds fairly well. I was certainly entertained the whole way through and was never once bored. It’s also a series that I think people shouldn’t take so seriously because it’s pretty deliberately going over-the-top with basically everything in it, which is partly why I found most of the characters interesting and the way they gamble to be fun to watch. Yes, the whole cast pretty much aren’t good people, but it’s pretty fitting in my opinion to be that way considering the way the whole setting is handled. It was far from flawless, but overall, I quite liked it and I’ll definitely be looking forward to season 2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
My god, Episode 5 of Pop Team Epic managed to get Sugita.
Tyoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
Not to many anime this season that have really caught my attention so I've gone old school and have been watching the original Gatchaman series. While kind of silly it's not to bad. Plus I love that old animation, even if some frames go full potato. The Blu ray definitely adds an interesting effect.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
I've been watching Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow as part of my project. it's about a pioneer family that settles in Adelaide in the 1830s, when the city was no more than surveyed streets and peg marks on the ground. I wouldn't recommend anyone watch it, especially given that, apart from the fansubbed first three episodes, the 50 episodes can only be watched with a French dub. I'm finding the French filtered, Japanese take on early nineteenth century Australia mildly entertaining, but I doubt people from elsewhere would share my interest in that way.

A notable feature is that Hayao Miyazaki wrote the script. ANN doesn't give him any other credit, nor does he share it with anyone else. As I've been watching the series - part of Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theatre - I've been wondering if I'd notice any signature Miyazaki moments. Well, it's taken 27 episodes but he finally drops a wonderful scene that is pure Miyazaki. So much so I wonder if he storyboarded it as well. It won't be from the original novel - by Melbourne author Phyllis Piddington and seemingly unobtainable even in Australia - because it has an essential plot error that no Australian would make.

It's a flying sequence, wouldn't you know, and a magical one at that. Part of its emotional impact comes from the events of the previous three episodes, but it's a treat on its own. Lucy-May has played a prank on her older brother Ben who is reading by the River Torrens, causing him to drop and lose the book, which is precious to him, in the river. In his frustration and rage he strikes Lucy-May across the face, which shocks both of them, (and, I might add, the viewer) as they are quite close as siblings. Both suffer considerable anxiety and guilt over the episode, leading to Lucy-May coming down with a serious fever. While she is bedridden he cuts some bamboo from the native forest (that's the error I mentioned - there is no bamboo on the Adelaide plains - the nearest possible bamboo is more than 2,000 km away) to make her a kite, which he leaves by her bedside. When her fever finally abates she notices the kite for the first time, then drifts into a dream of flying on the kite. It's one of those scenes you get in anime that transcends the material around it.

Here are some screenshots.

**Yay! First on page 1000**

The scriptwriter of Minami no Niji no Lucy (Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow) is Miyazaki Akira 宮崎晃. Not Miyazaki Hayao 宮崎駿.
Miyazaki Akira had been a writer-director for the Shōchiku company. He also wrote the scripts of some anime which were produced by Nippon Animation. Miyazaki Akira is a well-known scriptwriter, at least, to people who are knowledgeable about anime produced by Nippon Animation.

http://www.nippon-animation.co.jp/work/1408/
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
^
Thanks for putting me straight. I misread the ANN encyclopaedia. Well, that changes everything I wrote. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Saiki K. is back for another season (but sadly no forum thread), and 3 episodes in it's as good as ever. This last episode had the best graduation scenario I've ever seen (perhaps only topped by Buffy's "Omg, he's going to do the whole speech..."). The singing of the school song was perfectly, hilariously out of sync and semi-off-key, with that classic dirge-like tempo of unrehearsed congregations singing a capella without a director to keep it moving. I was dying through the whole thing. Very Happy
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
^
Thanks for putting me straight. I misread the ANN encyclopaedia. Well, that changes everything I wrote. Embarassed

It's a pleasure.

Since Miyazaki Akira also co-wrote the screenplays of some Otoko wa Tsuraiyo films (Tora-san films), fans of Japanese cinema, too, may know about Miyazaki Akira. (He had been an assistant director to film director Yamada Yōji.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LFPBGU/

It seems that 2channellers of 2ch/5ch's Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow thread are talking about you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Errinundra's famous!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:

So...

...what are they saying?

(Hides behind couch.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
For fun I used Chrome's page translation thingy to translate the page. It's google translate so the translation is probably all wrong. Might be due to wonky translation but this one comment was absolutely hilarious:

Quote:
I'm watching the pirated version of that fansub and
thief foreigner is an anime critic

Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Well, they certainly described Errinundra to a tee. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1000 of 1065