• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do any anime studios get contracted when doing dubs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
Why do any anime studios get contracted when doing dubs?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
I do not understand the question.
Contracted by whom, and for what?

Personally, I was not aware that any anime studios were contracted by anybody who was making a dub.
I am assuming that you are asking about English dubs, rather than the original Japanese dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Uhm.... I don't get this either. But I guess money. Is that a valid answer?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Uhm.... I don't get this either. But I guess money. Is that a valid answer?

And Internatuonal Copyright Laws...which basically boil down to the same answer of "money" too I suppose.
Chii85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not understand the question.
Contracted by whom, and for what?

Personally, I was not aware that any anime studios were contracted by anybody who was making a dub.
I am assuming that you are asking about English dubs, rather than the original Japanese dub.

What I meant is Funimation and Sentai do their dubs in house but the rest of the current/former licensers contract to Bang Zoom and Ocean. Why is that?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
What I meant is Funimation and Sentai do their dubs in house but the rest of the current/former licensers contract to Bang Zoom and Ocean. Why is that?

I think that it is just because the others do not produce enough dubs to be able to afford their own dubbing studios.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
There is a substantial cost to owning and running a dubbing studio. Both in terms of physical plant and personnel. That cost is cheaper than contracting the task out only if you have enough work to keep them busy almost full time. Any time the studio or staff is idle it is costing you money. Even if the personnel is free lance, you have to provide enough work to be sure they are available when needed.

Funimation and Sentai produce substantially more dubs then other US studios so it is cost effective for them. For the smaller studios contracting out is cheaper.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
So what you mean that current and former studios (ie geneon and Bandai) don't have enough dubs to produce?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
it's exactly how it sounds.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
To do a task in house or to contract it out is a cost/benefit decision each studio has to make. Geneon and Bandai when they were in business may have put out enough dubs to make it worthwhile but didn't want to be bothered. Unless you can find a former employee who knows how the decision was made there is no way to know if they even considered it.

Dubbing is not the only task involved in providing a US release. There is also translating, authoring, pressing of the disks, creation of the packaging and distribution among others. Any and all of these can be done in house or contracted out depending on the studio. The last I heard Aniplex had only a small office staff in the US and contracted out all of the process not done in Japan.

In many cases it is a lot easier to find a company to handle a task than it is to find and hire people with the right skills and buy office space and equipment for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1