• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.O.D -The TV-

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of us need to go back and watch the TV series again...myself chief among them! Embarassed Laughing
yanya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think a lot of us need to go back and watch the TV series again...myself chief among them! Embarassed Laughing
I just finished watching the series in a New Year Marathon ... 2 Days, 7 Disks. 2 very tired eyes. But it was worth it.

... afterwards, I picked up a copy of Farenheit 451 yesterday and read it. Reading and watching R.O.D always makes me want to read the books that are referenced.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
kk wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

And weren't all three of the Paper Sisters spoiler["created" humans as well? And/or were they just brainwashed into their sisterly attraction to each other?] Sorry, I forgot that part of the story.

I don't know if they were "created" humans, but there is one episode where they reveal to Nenene that they weren't blood sisters, but just really good friends who decided to call each other sisters. Near the middle of the series, there's one episode where they realize that they were brainwashed into their sisterly attraction. I think it was when they were in their apartment right after Joker's squad came in and kidnapped Nenene. How they met and what they do for a living was all a big set up, I think.

Actually, that was later, closer to around episode 18 or 19, that the brainwashing stuff was revealed. I think they found out about it during the point when they were separated, so they weren't even all together when they found out about it.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I don't think the series ever really clarified where they came from beyond that they had their memories altered and were set up to meet and come together. I don't think it was ever explained exactly how they got their powers or what their lives were like before meeting. However, I don't think they were created.

Or course, I could be wrong on that. I haven't seen it since the last volume came out sometime in 2005.
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
kk wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

And weren't all three of the Paper Sisters spoiler["created" humans as well? And/or were they just brainwashed into their sisterly attraction to each other?] Sorry, I forgot that part of the story.

I don't know if they were "created" humans, but there is one episode where they reveal to Nenene that they weren't blood sisters, but just really good friends who decided to call each other sisters...

Actually, that was later, closer to around episode 18 or 19, that the brainwashing stuff was revealed. I think they found out about it during the point when they were separated, so they weren't even all together when they found out about it.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I don't think the series ever really clarified where they came from beyond that they had their memories altered and were set up to meet and come together. I don't think it was ever explained exactly how they got their powers or what their lives were like before meeting. However, I don't think they were created.

I'm fairly certain that Anita was a "created human" or at least, an artificial papermaster. This is why she is the only papermaster who is not also a bibliophile. The sisters meeting, after which they decided to adopt eachother as "sisters" was indeed a setup, but Maggie and Michelle were already natural papermasters, who had been brainwashed to participate in this scenario.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the Birthday episode where they engraved their names spoiler[was in danger of being a made up memory. This is why they show the engraving at the end of the series to point out that the day that they decided to become sister actually happened.] Once again my memory is a bit fuzzy on the point so I will trust the opinions or corrections of someone who has seen this more recently.[/quote]
Vegaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Who was Yomiko lover? I didn't watch that part carefully and forgot the eps number.
yanya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Vegaz wrote:
Who was Yomiko lover? I didn't watch that part carefully and forgot the eps number.
spoiler[Yomiko♥Donnie]
Mr.Miffusle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Anita was the "first" (even though she's younger?) artificial paper master and was, as joker called her, a "failure". That's why she's not a bibliophile. Then her sisters were created, the first non-failures. Their whole meeting and liking each other was set to happen, but they decided it didn't matter and that they really did love each other.]

at least I think that's right! I need to watch this again aswell.
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
yanya wrote:
Vegaz wrote:
spoiler[Yomiko♥Donnie]

WTF are you talking about? spoiler[Do you mean the American guy on their team who protects them? Um, he's married and has a kid called Maggie.]
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Mr.Miffusle wrote:
spoiler[Anita was the "first" (even though she's younger?) artificial paper master and was, as joker called her, a "failure". That's why she's not a bibliophile. Then her sisters were created, the first non-failures. Their whole meeting and liking each other was set to happen, but they decided it didn't matter and that they really did love each other.]

at least I think that's right! I need to watch this again aswell.

spoiler[Wait ... I don't think she was the first papermaster ... I think that she was one of the last, as they tried to make one who didn't like books ... although I may be wrong ...]

pieisexactlythree wrote:
yanya wrote:
Vegaz wrote:
spoiler[Yomiko♥Donnie]

WTF are you talking about? spoiler[Do you mean the American guy on their team who protects them? Um, he's married and has a kid called Maggie.]

I don't know if your joking but spoiler[in the R.O.D. Manga, Yomiko was in love with Donnie, however she kills him Sad ]
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ah Ha! I don't read manga, for the most part, this one included.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
You aren't missing anything. The Read or Die manga was crap.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
subforry wrote:

1) What’s up with the Joker at the end? spoiler[Did he see the gentleman in dog and remembered is his goal to restore him?]

There's a fair amount of folklore relating to black dogs in the UK, such as the Black Shuck. My guess is that the appearance of this dog is a reference to such myths.

Combined with the fact a lot of stuff in ROD isn't explained in the series itself (like the relationship between Gentleman and the (unseen in the anime) head of Dokusensha), it's probably meant to be cryptic. Or cryptid if we want to make a terrible pun.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Some of it is probably due to the fact that it is based on a novel series and some things may be explained there.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2