• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone know of Japanese Metal?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how I am a fan of metal that causes buildings to resonate, can anyone make a suggestion to also satisfy my anime cravings? (Maybe like Metallica, Disturbed, Mudvayne,etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot, Dir en Grey, X-Japan...those are some good places to start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:00 am Reply with quote
Dir en Grey is a deffinate. Download Hydra, Domestic Fu**er Family, Berry, and Child Prey for examples.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:52 am Reply with quote
You should also listen to Animetal and Loudness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:01 am Reply with quote
So glad you should ask, my friend!!!

I can point you in the directions of: Shadow (Gothenburg-style, like In Flames), Lethal (straight death metal), Vio System Divide (like Mudvayne, but heavier), Enforce (metalcore), Ogre (like old Sepultura), Sigh (black metal), Scemitar (kinda nu-metalesque) and Tokyo (okay, not really, but it IS the former lead singer for Dillinger Escape Plan).

The drummer for the band Ulterior (Tokyo hardcore band) told me there's not much there for local metal, unfortunately. It's pretty hit and miss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:16 am Reply with quote
X Japan without a doubt. It's rare for a pop/rock band in Japan to have a large number of CDs available after the band has broken up but X Japan continues to have a following. It's too bad most anime fans associate the band with the X Movie somewhat lame song. Even though there are an army of X cds most are best of, live, karaoke, or symphonic versions. The 3 albums to get are Jealousy, Blue Blood, and Dalhia. The 30 minute Art of life is also good.
Animetal and Loudness are both good groups with much western appeal. Is Loudness still together??
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I read quite some time ago that Loudness had reformed with a new singer; some guy from the States, I guess. That was at the beginning of this year, though, so I don't know if they're still hanging around or not.

"Rock 'n' Roll Crazy Night" is a fabulous party song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
I read quite some time ago that Loudness had reformed with a new singer; some guy from the States, I guess. That was at the beginning of this year, though, so I don't know if they're still hanging around or not.

"Rock 'n' Roll Crazy Night" is a fabulous party song.

No. Loudness did have an American lead vocalist during the late '80s. The current lineup has all of the original band members.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Verily, areaseven, you are correct.

Here's the most "recent" news I could find out about Loudness (from Blabbermouth.net)

"Veteran Japanese metallers LOUDNESS will release a new live album, titled "Loudness Live 2002", on May 21, 2003. Recorded in Tokyo, Japan on December 31, 2002, the CD features 18 tracks, including "Crazy Night", "In The Mirror", "Slaughter House", "Crazy Doctor", and "S.D.I." "
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion, especially Iron Chef. I quick listened to each band, and got myself the Lethal, Vio System Divide, Ogre, and X Japan CD's. Metal rules!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Dou itashimashite, space clam! Always happy to help out a fellow rock star. Shred hard, brotha (or sista).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1