• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[About the running time of anime].

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Movie II says on the DVD jacket it's 147 minutes. However, when I watched over a month ago, the DVD player showed the time length as actually 133 minutes. Similar thing with Death and Rebirth: jacket says almost two hours but the DVD player actually says it's 105 minutes. Why is that?

[EDIT: Adjusted the topic title to be a little more precise. -TK]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I know that Manga Ent., which released Death & Rebirth, tends to include the runtime of the extras on the time that they list on the DVD cases. I don't know that Bandai would do this, so I can't answer about Gundam Movie 2.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know that Bandai would do this, so I can't answer about Gundam Movie 2.

The second Gundam movie really doesn't have any extras. Or at least the copy I have didn't. So I don't think it'd be that. I'm guessing the runtime on the DVD case includes the credits at the end, which most people do not watch, or at least don't consider to be part of the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know that Bandai would do this, so I can't answer about Gundam Movie 2.

The second Gundam movie really doesn't have any extras. Or at least the copy I have didn't. So I don't think it'd be that. I'm guessing the runtime on the DVD case includes the credits at the end, which most people do not watch, or at least don't consider to be part of the movie.

if that were true, and it could be, than the run time of the credits would be 14 minutes. maybe thats the regual runtime of credits but it seems a little extreme to me
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
I believe the Elicia DVD cover says it is only 100 minutes, but the DVD went almost twice this length!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote
In my extensive experience with anime DVDs (let's not even get into how many I have right now), running time is usually an approximated figure, especially for series animation. Episode-based DVDs are almost always listed in multiples of 25 minutes, even if the episode length (with credits) is only 22-23 minutes. It's a safe bet that any movie DVD which lists its running time as a multiple of 5 is also approximated, but the actual running time always includes the full credits. (Which is also true with live-action theatrically-released movies.)

Of course, this does vary. I have seen some titles where the "running time" listed on the case does include the Extras and doesn't specify that it includes the Extras. I've also seen a few cases where the listed "running time" is just flat-out wrong. (Fantastic Children DVDs 1-3 immediately spring to mind.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1