• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Instrumental Ranma

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to hunt down a copy of an old Ranma CD a friend loaned me several years back. He joined the army and disappeared, and I haven't been able to find anyone who's familiar with this album, and no stores seem to carry it. It was mostly instrumental, and it had a lovely instumental version of the original Yappa-pa theme and the final season's closing theme. It also had a Doco song that includes English lyrics like "Shout Go Yes!"

Does anybody have a clue what I'm talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the answer, but maybe if you took a look at the CD listing of Ranma 1/2 albums in the following, it may jog your memory:

http://209.237.31.87/series-R.html

Good luck!
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Throughout the annals of history, many bold and noble heros loom large in the memory of a grateful human race. But above them all towers one name, a name that shall be praised to the rafters by a thankful multitude. That name: The Spatula! Yes, The Spatula's memory shall live on, for as Prometheus brought us fire, so has The Spatula brought us the answer to the question that has plagued me lo these many years:

http://209.237.31.87/cdinfo/COCC10689.html

Let us lift our voices in praise to

THE SPATULA!!!

Now if I can just find a copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaaand... Nikaku has a copy!

This... is the greatest day of my life.
The Spatula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:41 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

Let us lift our voices in praise to

THE SPATULA!!!

Wow Shocked - You're welcome! Very Happy
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'll be picking this album up from the UPS depot today after work, and tomorrow I'll fill ya'll in on whether the album holds up as more than a sentimental token. I'm sure you're all just as excited as I am.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:37 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:

Wow Shocked - You're welcome! Very Happy

He really has been loking for it for ages. I remember him asking about it in the forum before I joined ANN, almost 4 years ago.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:45 am Reply with quote
He ain't lying!
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:40 am Reply with quote
Album highlights:

The instrumental version of Yappa-Pa is just as sweet as I remembered. Whoever put it together understood that the song is built on tuned percussion more than sustained tones, and used a slew of tuned percussion to create a gentle, melancholy version of the tune.

That Shout! Go! Yes! song is pretty cool, but it's also on the Vocal Collection Volume 2.

There's a piece that starts as a kind of baroque hurdy-gurdy, then segues into a piano-with-synths piece that actually sounds like some love went into it; it's pretty, but with unexpected jazz accents.

All the other tracks are the kind of pretty, lushly arrainged backing music you'd expect from early-nineties anime soundtracks, but sadly they over rely on synthesized imitations of orchestral tones, with predictably lusterless results.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:10 am Reply with quote
So was it worth the wait?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quote
The Yappa-pa alone was well worth it. There's an instrumental of "Between the Rainbow and the Sky" or whatever, the final season's closing theme, that's nice as well. And I liked that quietly jazzy piano bit.

I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a strong sentimental attatchment to Ranma music, though.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, one more thing: I dunno what kinda video game this album was for, but I hope it wasn't an action game, because all the music is slow and moody. A Ranma dating sim?
spewmuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:43 am Reply with quote
If I remember right, I believe there is a Ranma RPG, but from the listing, it doesn't seem quite right for an RPG music... well, I don't know.

--
SpewMuffin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1