• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favorite character designs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krylancelo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For 2004 I rated Twelve Kingdoms as the best. The costuming is just so lush and gorgeous, and it boasts some of the prettiest character designs ever.

I haven't seen very much of it, but it looks impressive and I want to see more episodes (I just have to get around to it...)

As for my favorite, it is Akira Toriyama's art. I cant ever think of many reasons for this, except that I liked it when I was a kid and it just appeals to me even now. I guess the most mentionable details he does IMO is the hair, the eyes, and the clothes.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I particularly liked the character designs for Last Exile.

I agree. Range Murata's artwork is probably my favorite. I especially like Al's character design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Nana and Paradise Kiss. Ai Yazawa's manga design translates great on to the screen. Very slim characters and nice fashion designs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
ManOfRust wrote:
I particularly liked the character designs for Last Exile.

I agree. Range Murata's artwork is probably my favorite. I especially like Al's character design.

Yeah I forgot to mention Last Exile which deserve at least an honorable mention. Once more I am really into that long jacket of Alex Rowe. But not only there is just the design on of crew, and the queen which really stand out.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu. Hairstyle and eyes are important parts of anime characters, and the Haruhi's designers were able to make both in a way that appealed to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The character designs in Monster had a style where all of the characters could look very distinct. That kind of character design I can appreciate.

Although it's more costume design than anything else though, I also love it in Trigun and GunGrave. Trigun may not have had much difference in facial designs, but the costume designs in both series were just superb.
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Alien Nine. I'm not really sure why, the style is just strangely appealing for some reason.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
I rather like Yasushi Nirasawa's blue and scaly rendition of Devilman seen in the Amon OVA.

On the video game side, I love Tetsuya Nomura's designs for Final Fantasy VIII. Easily his best work.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Come on you guys, Ima give you a clue

One name, two series

Shinichiro Watanabe

Edward, Spike, Faye, 3 of the coolest characters all in one series.
Edward's goggles look so cool and spike is just spike... Faye does look like a hooker but she's still so hot.

Mugen and Jin, these two look so kickass, particularly Mugen.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
Come on you guys, Ima give you a clue

One name, two series

Shinichiro Watanabe

Uh, Ranch Hand Funk and Ronin Boogaloo? Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Wish I would have noticed this topic before, I haven't seen this question asked on the forums yet... damn loli thread.

Akio Watanabe (Poyoyon Rock) has always been my favorite character designer. Very shiny characters... I just like them. He does character designs for a lot of hentai games that aren't listed there though...

He also worked on the art/animation for Soultaker, which for anyone who has seen it, could tell the artwork is very unique and... somewhat oddly done. It's really a matter of preference I guess, I know some people who hated the artwork and found it to be way too distracting, which to be honest, it kind of was. To me, the art was one of my favorite parts of the anime though.

I'm glad Akio Watanabe finally came out with Hoshizora Kiseki, I've been wanting to see more of his work for a while. Story was meh, but I always love seeing his artwork. I wasn't expecting anyone to sub it but to my surprise some group actually did...
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to say my fave series, but I can't. Sometimes characters are too alike. -_-U

My votes are for FLCL, Rurouni Kenshin, FullMetal Alchemist and Hungry Heart Wild Striker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sunnyd83

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I really like Full Metal Alchemist & Samurai Champloo. The characters feel more life like than other anime I've seen and I seem to be drawn to that style.
heidigirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I really like Samurai Champloo characters. I feel like I'm watching real people! They have awesome attitude, and the facial expressions are so life-like. Razz
UKfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I just love Leiji Matsumoto's style so stuff like Harlock Saga, Arcadia of my Youth etc.

I also love CLAMP's style so things like X TV, Shamanic Princess and Magic Knight Rayearth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5