• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Question. Fighting to the death?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
When the students get to the part of the exam where they have to fight eachother, the instructor says that they will fight till someone dies or is unable to continue or something like that. What the hell...they're just kids...probably no older then 16 some of them. What's this whole "to the death" thing. And why don't these kids have parents?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
They do have parents, some you'll see later. And to the death? Well, being a ninja is a pretty serious(minus naruto, lol) thing in that universe. It's not a "oh sweet, I'm a ninja, I do special moves!" kind of thing for most people.

Also, it doesn't mean TO THE DEATH rather than killing your opponent is one way to victory. It's obvious that Naruto or Sakura probably doesn't want to kill a friend from Konoha, so they'd choose to just beat their opponent. Just watch the show lol.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
They have parents, it's just that a lot of them are either in support for the whole Chuunin promotion or spoiler[ dead, like Sasuke's, Naruto's, and soon to be Gaara's.]

I think the whole "death" thing is just to make it sound more dramatic, since you can't really kill kids in shounen series this day now (although, Shakugan no Shana would beg to differ Razz).
doseRyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
i think that during that period of the chunin selection exam the term to the death has many meanings . meanings that i may not fully understand.
well i belive that when they say to the death means that everytime a ninja fights whether it's a fellow village member or an outsider when fighting you must subdue your oponent at all costs because beating up someone and walking away would only make that person get better and come back again like zabuza momochi.
after being beaten up he still came back. even orochimaru spoiler[ after attempting to take over konoha and failed doesn't mean he won't come back another day]
so i think to the death really means to an extent that your oponent will not come back again, live to see another day or just beat him up good so it leaves an impression of fear.

lol that's just what i think.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I see. I have another question. You know the headbands that they wear. Are those manditory or not. Because Gaara doesn't wear one. Neither does the chick with the fan or the puppet guy.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Umm... those are mandatory, it's just not required to actually wear them on the HEAD. Every ninja carries one and has it on display.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
I see. I have another question. You know the headbands that they wear. Are those manditory or not. Because Gaara doesn't wear one. Neither does the chick with the fan or the puppet guy.

Umm, the chick with the fan (Temari) wears hers around her neck. The puppet guy (Kankuro) has his on a whole hoodie that he wears. As for Gaara, I know he has it on somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's on the backside of tan-colored sash that he wears. I can't find a picture of it on Google though.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What about Rock Lee. And do Hinata and Ten Ten have them.............dont remember seeing them...
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
What about Rock Lee. And do Hinata and Ten Ten have them.............don't remember seeing them...

Rock Lee has his around his waist. Hinata has hers around her neck, and Ten-Ten has hers on her forehead.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
What about Rock Lee. And do Hinata and Ten Ten have them.............don't remember seeing them...

Just watch more episodes of the anime instead of asking so many goddahm questions. It really gets interesting later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok Ok lol. I watched up to like 30 something but stopped watching it so now I gotta start all the way from the beginning again.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
When the students get to the part of the exam where they have to fight eachother, the instructor says that they will fight till someone dies or is unable to continue or something like that. What the hell...they're just kids...probably no older then 16 some of them. What's this whole "to the death" thing. And why don't these kids have parents?

A shinobi cannot let their enemies live. You may not know of this, but in Peacemaker Kurogane Volume 3, spoiler[ Suzu (evil dude) tells Tetsunosuke (good guy) that he was ordered by his sensei to kill him, but hesitated and let him live. Because of that, Tetsu caused the death of Suzu's sensei in that same battle at the Ikeda Inn.]
Basically, this teaches the kids to not spare lives. As Haku said, Shinobi are tools to be used by the village to protect the village.

[EDIT: Use spoiler tags next time. -TK]
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
USE SPOILER TAGS, CYBORG.

If I hadn't seen that episode of Peacemaker, you'd have spoiled it for me. Better watch that in the future.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
As for Gaara, I know he has it on somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's on the backside of tan-colored sash that he wears.
Well, in this image from the GC Naruto game, it shows it slid down his sash, almost at his right side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
USE SPOILER TAGS, CYBORG.

If I hadn't seen that episode of Peacemaker, you'd have spoiled it for me. Better watch that in the future.

That counts as a spoiler? In the manga, that was basically told of in the first Volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2