• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High Definition Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keroude

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I know Samurai 7 was done in all HD (For 300,000 an ep..wow)...but are series like Basilisk and Trinity Blood done in HD? (All done by Gonzo)

Are there any other series in HD? If so...please name em.

I'm asking this because I'm collecting Samurai 7...and with Baslisk and Trinity Blood coming out soon...if they are HD I will surely wanna collect em'.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
If by HD, you mean just 16x9 aspect ratio, than there are a lot such as GunGrave, Samurai Champloo and so on. Actually, I believe the majority of anime nowadays are done in that aspect ratio. And remember that Samurai 7 was "broadcast" in HD (just like NBA games), doesn't necessary mean that the dvd themself are HD.

if by HD you mean high definition video bitrate with 1080 or 720 lines, you have to wait for either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray of said anime.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
the most you will get out of a DVD is 720-by-480, and some of the HD out there is like 1,920-by-1,080.

Maybe he is talking about an r2 hddvd. I mean if he has the japanese version, aren't HDDvd already over there. And I know you can get a player online. In that case it might make a difference if it was produced in hd or not. Just guessing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese HDDVD selection is about as big as it is here. I believe the origianal post was refering to the mastering and broadcasting of anime. If you turn on your HDTV or HDTuner does any of the current titles display 720P 16:9 or 1080I 16:9. I believe there are less than a dozen basic cable channels that broadcast in these resolutions (I have them all under "favorite channels" on my tv, with only a couple in 1080. Although I've yet to buy the Toshiba HDDVD player, I will admit that the image on the 720 and 1080 channels looks much better than the 480 and NTSC stations. This is even more evident since Fox and CBS broadcast pan and scan versions (I had no idea 24, and Invasion were widescreen) of their shows on there non HD feed. Although aspect ratio is a different factor from definition, a good number of HD shows are in 16:9. I too am curious if any other anime titles are mastered in HD.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
The US is behind in 16x9 programming and still furthermore in HD. In many countries now a wide screen tv is actually the norm, where it only started becoming relatively affordable here within the past couple of years. Because of this, production and manufactucturing of HD, true HD programs, and subsequently televisions and HD DVD and VHS players, is really behind. I know that there are some true HD anime programs out there but it will probably be a while before we see them here in noticable numbers.

Still it is nice to get the 16x9 programs, be they in mere digital quality that even at a decent 480 progressive enhanced picture at least gives my shoddy non-HD wide screen tv a full picture without having to zoom or stretch. This is something that the majority of anime producers seem to be going to and I appreciate it more and more with each new purchase. However I won't hold my breath for more true HD until there is more available content and becomes more than just relatively affordable.

Not to say that it does not look incredibly nice. At my work I have had a chance to view an anime program produced in true HD on a wonderful LCD 1080i display and nearly drooled all over the floor. I don't even know what program it was, I'd never seen it before and the 60 seconds or so they previewed for the presentation wasn't enough to allow me clues to research it, but my, did it look pretty.

And there is a satelite provider in the US that now brags a 25 channel HD line up including an animation channel, however when you look at the content available, even in all those channels, it probably amounts to about 100 total hours a week of true HD, as most seems to be upconverted programs that were originally filmed in the standard 35mm, used for most movies before LucasFilm Ltd paved the way to digital filming with the crappy Star Wars prequels.

Ok, now I'm rambling and going off topic so I'll quit. Sumi masen.
Keroude

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the info undeadben!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
In regards to US HD availability, I flipped through all the channels avilable from Comcast basic cable San Francisco and noticed that only ABC, NBC, CBS, KQED, KRON (local stuff in 1080) Discovery HD and a couple sports channels exist. What's even worse is that I can't seem to get any audio from the Discovery Channel. This seems like such a meager selection considering that NTSC will be gone by early 2009. Most of the non-primetime shows are upconverted (and 4:3) from NTSC and don't look too much better than the 480 feeds. Overall there isn't too many hours of HDTV available to me via local cable. To bring it back on topic, hopefully HDDVD or Blu-Ray will be popular enough to convince the US studios to remaster films (especially high detailed Otomo, Miyazaki, and Oshii films) in 1080, since I don't think it's likely that anyone will be broadcasting HD anime in the US anytime soon.

Most of the tv shows that are in currently out there do fairly well with a simple upconversion, especially when they are already 16:9. The CG/2D meshing is even more noticeable on a clear upconverted HD screen. Last night I began rewatching Last Exile, and noticed that the CG ships stood out more (especially the pilots) with a clear image. S.A.C faired a bit better on the 60' screen. I think the big difference will come when we see anime films remastered onto HD. I believe that Sony Japan was planning on releasing Steam Boy in Japan for the Blu-Ray, and can't imagine them not releasing Advent Children on Blu-Ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1