• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Release Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle on U.S. BD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setsura1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
We already have this!! Bring us Princess Mononoke on BD!!
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Setsura1 wrote:

Princess Mononoke's in licensing limbo at the moment, and Disney themselves probably wouldn't release it anyways. Too gory.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
While I'm very happy to get Totoro on blu ray, I really wish we would finally get Only Yesterday. I'd take a sub only dvd release at this point.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
While I'm very happy to get Totoro on blu ray, I really wish we would finally get Only Yesterday. I'd take a sub only dvd release at this point.

Only Yesterday's sadly probably never going to come here, since Disney's not allowed to edit Ghibli films, and the sex-education lecture scene is still too risque for Disney. Looks like we'll have to stick to occasional airings on TCM.
caleb-kun89sw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
@shamisen the great

I know, right? How about Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves? Sad
Fory-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Setsura1 wrote:

Princess Mononoke's in licensing limbo at the moment, and Disney themselves probably wouldn't release it anyways. Too gory.

According to the people over at the Ghibli mailing list, Disney still owns the video rights to "Mononoke"; GKids has the theatrical rights. But yes...the reason why it has not seen a proper Western edition is Disney's main label feels a little uneasy about releasing a PG-13 animated film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'll definitely be getting Howl's Moving Castle on Blu-ray.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cool! Will definitely be getting Howl's on Blu-ray^^
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
lol Disney must be using that Totoro cover on purpose now. Sure they just re-use cover arts, but it can't be the only option...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure Totoro would end up looking better than Howl in 1080p. I'm also glad Disney doesn't seem to do the transfer themselves, as they'd prone to smearing and degraning so much of their own work to where it looks like puke.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Fory-san wrote:
partysmores wrote:
Setsura1 wrote:

According to the people over at the Ghibli mailing list, Disney still owns the video rights to "Mononoke"; GKids has the theatrical rights. But yes...the reason why it has not seen a proper Western edition is Disney's main label feels a little uneasy about releasing a PG-13 animated film.

Disney says that they don't have it and I'm going to go with what Disney says.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'll be getting Totoro for sure, as I never bought the DVD only copy. IDK about the other one since I own the DVD and I don't care about having BluRay everything.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'll pick up Totoro (and the other Miyazaki films released on Blu-Ray/DVD combo that I don't have yet) eventually, but Howl's Moving Castle will be a first-day buy. Despite what people may say about it, it's by far my favorite Miyazaki movie, and with moving into a new apartment with a Blu-Ray/HD set up, I just know I'll love it on the Blu-Ray as much as I love the DVD.
inuhime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Setsura1 wrote:

I'll be importing this when it goes to BD, no matter what it costs. It was my favorite movie until I saw Spirited Away, which I hope goes to BD soon.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
This is good news, aside from the Totoro Blu-ray cover using the image of the prototype promo poster for the movie. But I'll let that slide since it's still the same movie even though Totoro helped two girls not one.

I do agree that Princess Mononoke does deserve a Blu-ray release in America, but sadly no one has active rights on the film in the U.S. as of right now. I hope someone will obtain it and maybe include some bonus features cause it was a massive hit in Japan and it's one of the most important films in Anime history. It be a crime for the film to not have that many bonus features.

As for Only Yesterday, I've given up hope when there's absolutely no progress in the film being released on DVD or Blu-ray. Other than being aired on TCM. Which is why I ended up getting an import DVD of it along with Ocean Waves(since that title isn't licensed in America). I be really surprised if Disney actually did release it now after having rights to the film for so long. Course it does have a better chance of seeing a DVD release than their educational film titled "The Story of Menstruation" which they made for a tampon company back in 1946.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3