• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon X & Y Arrives on 3DS Worldwide in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
Anyway, they SERIOUSLY need to hire a new poke designer or something, because it's obvious the dude they've used just isn't trying anymore...

That's the main problem with his complaint... There's thousands of different types of sub species for any given animal family that complaining there's too many of them doesn't make sense if they look distinct enough from one another. Might as well call mother nature lazy for making so many subspecies of birds or fish.

spoiler[shut up TitanXL]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
There's thousands of different types of sub species for any given animal family that complaining there's too many of them doesn't make sense if they look distinct enough from one another. Might as well call mother nature lazy for making so many subspecies of birds or fish.

Yes, but this isn't nature. It's Pokemon. The monsters are supposed to excite the gamer, not draw them into a vortex of dullness. The game is about abundant, colorful, interesting-looking, varying species of cool combat monsters. Not eighty ducks and twenty near-indentical mystical birds (by the way, there's so many "legendary" Pokemon now that they're not even special anymore).

I hope Gamefreak knows that they don't have to come up with 150 new ones every few years. At some point they should just step back and go, "Yeah, that's probably enough, let's work on how the game works, new features, rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel for new monster designs."

The designs of the new Pokemon in that trailer are pretty generic, but the game looks worthwhile if just for the gameplay and environments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(by the way, there's so many "legendary" Pokemon now that they're not even special anymore)

God I hate this argument. Bottom line is, as each new gen adds legendaries, there's inevitably going to be a lot of them after some time. Even if they only had three legendaries each gen, the amount would still slowly increase until there was a bunch anyway.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth

Actually, I think GameFreak has been working a lot on the game mechanics since Pokemon began; from the extremely flawed first generation to the current generation(s), things have improved a lot. Natures were introduced in Gen 3 as were EVs/IVs (I think Gen 2 might have had its own kind of EVs/IVs. . . don't recall). Abilities were also developed in Generation 3. Generation 5 further enhanced the abilities by establishing Hidden Abilities. Pokemon has been bringing forth many features into each new generation. Gen 3 also gave us double battles which Gen 5, again, improved upon by bringing triple and rotation battles. Generation 4 was a big game changer by giving the players the ability to distinguish between physical, special, and status moves.

There's a lot more things I miss such as how big or noticeable the Pokemon WiFi battling community has grown to be since the introduction of Gen 4 and the amount of people utilizing YouTube to showcase their battles.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty awesome, although I kinda miss some of the originality from designing pokemon. The starters sorta look like rehashes. But the preview makes me want replay Heart Gold again. The pixel and sprite art will be missed but the 3d physics still brings back some reminiscence of the pixel art. But to come to think of it, if the titles is based about chromosomes and if they make a equivalence of Black/White 2, would it be called Pokemon XX(female)/XY(male)?
DapperShiga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
My inner 6 year old is squeeing like crazy. I'm defiantly getting myself both when October rolls around.

The voiceover guy kinda sounds like Yuuki Kaji. lol
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Will Gen 6 be backwards compatible like Gens 5, 4, and 3 were?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
(by the way, there's so many "legendary" Pokemon now that they're not even special anymore)

God I hate this argument. Bottom line is, as each new gen adds legendaries, there's inevitably going to be a lot of them after some time. Even if they only had three legendaries each gen, the amount would still slowly increase until there was a bunch anyway.

I don't think that is anyone's complaint. Yeah, inevitably, the total number of legendaries will increase over time. But some generations add more than others. By generation, we've seen...
So yeah, it is a fair criticism of more recent generations that when you're getting more than a dozen new legendaries every generation, the word seems to loose some meaning.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
One legendary per generation now, please.

There are more legendaries now than Ghost-Types.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hope Gamefreak knows that they don't have to come up with 150 new ones every few years. At some point they should just step back and go, "Yeah, that's probably enough, let's work on how the game works, new features, rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel for new monster designs."

The new monsters are the primary draw for people pretty much. The story and gameplay is pretty much the same across all generations (8 badges, crime organization, become champion) so that definitely isn't what keeps people coming back. They want new monsters. It's the only reason people even play post-game and do battles with their friends or whatever.

While it'd be nice if the games went a more deeper JRPG level with them (tons of story and character development, different party members and a long-overdue renovated battle system) that'd probably be far too removed from the money maker the games are and would alienate the kids.
OmarZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote
When i watched the trailer in youtube, i read the most beautiful and honest comments about how they are all exited to see this new step for pokemon, and that made me happy. but then i came here Mad
As a pokemon fan it was a dream for me to see something like X/Y, and i am not the only one with such dream, i mean look at the amount of videos in youtube about how some people even took their time to create a 5 min or so gameplay of how pokemon 3D would ve looked liked. i know for fact that the majority of people are going to get this and when this is going to hit the market its going to hit hard.
so if u dont like the new game , well thank u thats ur opinion and now go and write ur negative comments about every other game there is.
and if u dont like the new pokemon "designs", we have been hearing shit like this for like 10 years now its getting old really so cut the shit.
People should really start to appreciate pokemon more, if it wasn't for pokemon Nintendo handheld consoles wouldn't be this successful at all TBH.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Sadly not what I expected - or should say wanted - in a 3D Pokemon game. The game doesn't look like it has really moved into 3D. It's still go the same 2D feel to it.

They only take baby steps graphically, I suppose. The battles look great, but I really hope we get a real 3D Pokemon adventure someday, instead of these 2.5D versions (for lack of a better term, I know the game's really all in 3D, but it is set up just like the 2D games).
DomonX2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The new monsters are the primary draw for people pretty much. The story and gameplay is pretty much the same across all generations (8 badges, crime organization, become champion) so that definitely isn't what keeps people coming back. They want new monsters. It's the only reason people even play post-game and do battles with their friends or whatever.

While it'd be nice if the games went a more deeper JRPG level with them (tons of story and character development, different party members and a long-overdue renovated battle system) that'd probably be far too removed from the money maker the games are and would alienate the kids.

1. Games are primary for gameplay, not story and so called character development

2. Even THEN, there IS character development in the Gamecube games

3. The anime sucks compared to the games. Prove me wrong.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
color me shocked that people miss the 2d sprites? Really people, you want 2d pixel sprites in your pokemon games forever and ever? I don't get it.

I'm also miffed about the complaints about the 3d look of the game. It kind of reminds me of how final fantasy III looks on the ds, so yeah I guess that's not full blown 3d but baby steps are fine. Imagine how much people would complain if it were full blown 3d? Rolling Eyes ::sigh:: there's just no pleasing people I guess.

Any thoughts are the potential secondary natures for the new starters? By that I mean the speculation that the grass starter is grass/dark, fire is fire/psychic, and water is water/fighting? I'm super excited if the speculation is true and it'll pretty much guarantee my picking a fire starter for the first time ever.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
color me shocked that people miss the 2d sprites? Really people, you want 2d pixel sprites in your pokemon games forever and ever? I don't get it.

I'm also miffed about the complaints about the 3d look of the game. It kind of reminds me of how final fantasy III looks on the ds, so yeah I guess that's not full blown 3d but baby steps are fine. Imagine how much people would complain if it were full blown 3d? Rolling Eyes ::sigh:: there's just no pleasing people I guess.

Actually, yes, I do wish the games would stick to the 2D sprites. That's what I grew up with, and I loved it. Still love it actually. To me, it was another reason why I love the Pokemon games.

I also hate 3D, with a few exception to the rule. Many games with 3D graphics look clunky and distract me from the game instead of allowing me to enjoy it. The only other two games I play - Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing - are two exceptions I find to this, as there are many occasions where the 3D graphics actually enhance the game play more than hinder it. The 3D-like scenes in Pokemon Black/White were the same way - enhanced, not hindered.

Looking at these promos, this is not going to be enjoyable for me. And if any possible remake of R/S/E is created just like this, I'll also dislike it. Unless there's a way to make the game just like the 2D versions on the 3DS, then Pokemon Black 2 will be my last Pokemon game purchase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5