• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did you find anime or did anime find you???

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GODHAND

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
topic
demonblade508

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:20 pm Reply with quote
i think i found anime...and it found me at the same time. i think i started about 7 or 8 years ago, when I got my first bootleg of DBZ tapes. Yes, I know DBZ was my first anime. It is many peoples introductory anime. And usually they swear up and down it is the greatest. I was like that for a while. Then I realized it has zero plot, and the fights are just long and drawn out. I recently sold all 64 DBZ dvd's i owned. Lost about $1000 bucks, but hey I can get that much more better anime.

So anyway, in the past 2 or 3 years, i have come to grow and love many more mature series, with actual plots. Ex. Berserk, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin, X, Blue Gender, Outlaw Star, Hellsing. Etc etc.

I came to know and love anime characters. Most good animes are better than most hollywood movies nowadays. Thats a big boast, but i definatly think that is true. Ah well. thats my origins with anime.

-demonblade
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the question is a little bogus. I mean, if you don't know about anime, then you can't set out in search of it. That means you can't "find" anime by yourself, you have to be introduced to it by some outside source. Me it was by some friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I think the question is a little bogus. I mean, if you don't know about anime, then you can't set out in search of it. That means you can't "find" anime by yourself, you have to be introduced to it by some outside source. Me it was by some friends.

I don't know. If you're channel-surfing and see something interesting and stop, you found anime, didn't you?

I was introduced by friends, as well, so it found me.
animaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:21 pm Reply with quote
well you can accidently watch without knowing what anime is. i used to watch speed racer etc. when I was little and pokemon it was after pokemon I learned what anime was I met akira and ranma thanks to some friends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:38 pm Reply with quote
well, watched alot of it when I was a kid, but didn't know it was anime. It wasn't until I saw Escaflowne on Foxkids, and when it got cancelled I went and looked for it. Thats how I found out about anime. So yeah, I found it.
qollocust

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I think I found it....

I started into anime when nintendo started adding Pokemon inserts in their magazines to hype people up for the release of the games. (My brother was big into Nintendo at the time but I'd end up readign the magazine to him). From that I learned that there'd be a show on tv and started watching that. Now I'm obviously not still into Pokemon, but it was my only show for a awhile when it first came out. It opened me up to other animes on tv and eventually other animes on video etc. Mostly the message boards I'd go to would give me titles to research and I took off from there.
kusanagi320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:33 pm Reply with quote
i use to like pokemon too. A few years ago that's all me and a friend talked about was pokemon or zelda. And the dreamcast..he(my friend)always kept yakking about the dreamcast. anyway, chrono trigger introduced me to anime. SO...i guess i found anime,since i found chrono trigger.i dunno.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Anime found me.... sister's fault.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:25 am Reply with quote
I found Sailor Moon on fox at 5 am in 97 or 98.... The show perplexed me because the way the animation flowed... It seemed choppy. For example: I would see Serina (Usagi) fry towards a wall and then just before she would hit it they would cut away... But the way they did it looked like they had the wall slamming shot... I wondered why a companuy would edit their own cartoon like that. At first it didn't seem intentional but as the series progressed it became more blatant. I becgan to get into the adventures of the moon princess until the series came to an end. Teo years of nothing followed... I persued other things and enjoyed a bevy console and PC games... Anyway fast forward to late 1999-early 2000.... It was around this time when thinkingback nostalgicly on Sailor Moon I did a net search... I found 2 key sites.... Save our sailors... and Senshi TV.... It was fropm there that I learned about anime and what it was. I took onto anime quick... Around this time I became disenfranchised with american animation because I no longer felt like I was a target audience. My first series was trigun(still haven't finished it... I got pissed off when I got halfway thru and then pioneer released the Box set and refused to lower the prices on the singles)

First box set was Lodoss wars with BGC following soon after... And then I just built my collection from there.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:23 am Reply with quote
Anime found me, I was meant to watch anime. I cant explain it, I just know that anime came looking for me Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SilentNET

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if Anime found me, or I found Anime actually.. I was sitting at school working on my newest box(another name for a computer running Linux) and boored as I was I started looking for new desktop-themes. Browsing hundreds and hundreds of themes I stopped on a Love Hina-theme. I'm still running with that theme today and after that day on school I started reading about LH on the Internet. I have bought all LH-DVDs and I watch them over and over again.. I just love that series. I have seen Akira and Ghost in the Shell earlier, but not actually knowing about Anime, but atleast I know now, and I like it Smile
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:37 am Reply with quote
Anime found me first technicly. Back in about 98/99 I checked out DBZ (all my friends loved it and still do) and I ultimately hated it so that turned me away from alot of anime for awhile (i was young and stupid give me some credit). Then pokemon came around in 99/00 and i watched that for a little while until i concluded the plot was the same every episode and grew bored of it. Then I found Vampire Hunter D the game, loved it, bought the dvd, loved that to, then bought the new one last year. Now a year later my girlfriend told me to check out ccs and tech muyo (yes i realize ccs is a chick anime and intended for a younger audience go figure). At that point i would have to say i really got into anime. So it's sort of a mix between wheather it found me or I found it.

-Paul
PUX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Interesting Question!
To be honest either is true, i watched cartoons on television, without realizing it was Anime, i only found out that it was Anime at the age of 6!
But i think i found Anime more likely, it was a natural Instinct! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
avius viator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess I found it... since no one introduced it to me. I was weened on Votron, Thundercats, Speed Racer... but never really identified them as "anime". I went off to college and missed 4 years of TV watching (major study nerd). When I started grad school, I moved into an apartment, got cable and rediscovered the joy that is Cartoon Network. Unfortunately I missed the early days of Toonami with Speed Racer and Robotech. But, that was around 1999, so I fell upon Gundam Wing, liked it, and sought out more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3