• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Finnish Embassy Celebrates Strike Witches Character's Birthday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Really ?

An official embassy twitter is congratulating on anime character .these guys must have nothing else to do then.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
WA HA HA
Love is Alive and Well with Strike Witches
testyal1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually planning to live in Finland, so it's darn good to see this sort of relation going on.
Mindwraith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so it was Eila they were talking about the whole time? As in one of the few small-breasted characters who actually wears pants AND does not have a sister?
This doesn't make sense... were they just trying to make the anime sound more perverted for sensationalism or something?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: The embassy wrote, "Hyvää syntymäpäivää Eira Ilmatar Juutilaiselle!" but later explained that "Juutilaiselle" is not a misspelling. In the Finnish language, nouns' endings change, depending on how they are used in the sentences according to the rules of grammatical declension.

Ah, vowel harmony. One of my favorite things about Finnish.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mindwraith wrote:
Wait, so it was Eila they were talking about the whole time? As in one of the few small-breasted characters who actually wears pants AND does not have a sister?
This doesn't make sense... were they just trying to make the anime sound more perverted for sensationalism or something?

The anime is actually more perverted than they made it sound.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Mindwraith wrote:

The person telling them about it probably was. Of course, that person probably couldn't pick out Eila from a lineup of the Strike Witches characters.

It reminds me of the whole Misaka Python binding controversy: Where someone tries to stir up things with a generous helping of total misinformation about a character.

The article in question:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/when-software-offends-the-pantyshot-package-controversy/509

One of the passages from the article:
Quote:
Smit re-named Pantyshot/Upskirt after a Japanese name. Not just any name, but popularly belonging to an Anime (adult comics) character whose superpower is electricity, and is controversial due to notorious upskirt shots of the character - most especially as she is depicted as being 11 years old.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Eira? Now that is mispelling the characters name. Both Eira and Eila are names for women.
NekoHaruhi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Mindwraith wrote:

But she has a sister... http://strikewitches.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora_E._Juutilainen
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sort of reminds me of what George Carlin said about celebrating Mickey Mouse's birthday: "No wonder noone in the world takes our country seriously, we waste valuable television informing our citizens of the age of an imaginary rodent!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
Really ?

An official embassy twitter is congratulating on anime character .these guys must have nothing else to do then.

hahahah arg! I was gonna say that xD maybe they were high on pot? or wait... isnt that denmark?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mindwraith wrote:

Hey, Eila's pretty decent in the chest department.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Heheheh..... people keep putting Https on Twitter posts........ Laughing
Rysis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
testyal1 wrote:
I'm actually planning to live in Finland, so it's darn good to see this sort of relation going on.

When you live here that 20 years, its enough..never move to finland very expensive country, high taxes, racist and cold as fudge top of that you have to learn one of the worlds hardest languages.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Which makes her 83 years old.

I bet this just took the wind out of a few sails out there.

Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2