• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenjou Tenge - Worth watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
One of my buddies recommended that I watch it, but I had heard bad things about it from other people. So before I watch it I just wanted the opinions of some of you on the message boards. Have at it!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what you're looking for. Tenjou Tenge belongs to the "fight anime" genre. That is, most of the storyline centers on a series of battles. In fact, it's part of a sub-genre that deals specifically with martial arts battles within a school. A testament to the Japanese ability to produce some of the weirdest genres, there are actually a number of anime with this theme - go figure.

It's bloody and violent - but paradoxically also fairly light-hearted. I won't call it a great anime, but it does have a lot of charm, and an ironic distance from its own subject that can make it very funny at times.

In many ways, it is similar to Air Master, which also mixed comedy and combat. However, Air Master was never meant to be taken seriously - it was a deliberate parody of "fight anime" - whereas Tenjou Tenge takes itself seriously, at least part of the time.

Fanservice, panty shots, gratuitous violence - what more can you want?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
karitaru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hi you guys,
Is the story finished after the OVAs?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
Syto wrote:
One of my buddies recommended that I watch it, but I had heard bad things about it from other people. So before I watch it I just wanted the opinions of some of you on the message boards. Have at it!

Make sure your friends aren't badmouthing the US Manga release than the US Anime release.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
Most people would probably recommend TenTen, but truthfully, I didn't really enjoy it. It started out well, but towards the middle, there is a long, long string of flashback episodes which really slow down the story, just as it gets going. The end is left very open ended as well, and it isn't wrapped up in the OVA either. Although, I've heard another OVA is on the way, so maybe the story will be tied up properly in that. My enthusiasm for the series decreased steadily from the first flashback episode, until it got to the point where I was only watching to see the conclusion. Then, they just left the end hanging... I was pretty disappointed.

The series had great animation though, especially during fight scenes. There were definitely other good points as well, but for some reason, right now, only the negatives are coming to mind. But like I said in the beginning, most people seemed to like it, so maybe I'm just picky. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
I started watching it, then realized that I was forcing myself to watch each episode. If you like pointless fighting and fanservice, go for it.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it quite a bit. The fighting was top notch and the story really drew me in. I was saddened by the fact that they never wrapped up the story but hopefully they will do that with the next OVA. I suggest watching this if you enjoy nice fight scenes and interesting characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sounds quite simmiliar to Ikki Tousen, which I thought was alright. Haven't seen this one though the trailer looks interesting.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It was one of the VERY FEW (actually 1/2 so far) animes that i COULD NOT FINISH EVEN IF I FORCED MYSELF....

The idea of the "hero" is sooooooo horrible in this anime that it can permanently mess your life up.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Judging from only the first disc, it was good. The action thus far is pretty cool and graphic at times. I felt quite a bit of satisfaction seeing one particularly cocky character get his clock cleaned. Takayanagi is my man. I didn't think there was as much fanservice as a typical Ikki Tousen episode, if that is a concern for anyone . The opening song is great, and it gives Ikki Tousen's opener a run for it's money, but I'd have to give the edge to Tenjho's, because I am a fool for songs with that kind of kinetic beat to them. Durn, Cardcaptormanda, I hate laborious replay episodes as well, what a potential bummer. But it's too late for me, I have committed.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
Joe, spoiler[if you liked the cocky character getting beat up you wont like the anime Razz]
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
I actually thinks its pretty good. Im still watching it..
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Nirv, I kinda had a bad feeling about that, but he's my wife's favorite character, so the series is a keeper. I just identify more with Takayanagi, thats all. Without the martial arts skills, of course.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This is the type of show I wouldn't really you know, think highly of, but I'd watch it since:

MADHOUSE + FAN SERVICE = <3 *that's a heart Razz *

yeah, I'm not gonna buy the series, but if I have a chance to rent it, I'd watch it
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:
The opening song is great, and it gives Ikki Tousen's opener a run for it's money, but I'd have to give the edge to Tenjho's, because I am a fool for songs with that kind of kinetic beat to them.

I'd semi-agree. Ikki Tousen was pretty much crap, but the opening song was the absolute highlight and jewel in an otherwise, piece of crap altogeather.

I'm super arguing which OP I like the most. Tenjou Tenge has a lot better eyecandy during the OP, and Bomb-A-Head! is just the catchiest song I've heard in an OP in a long long time. I think in the end, I choose TT's OP over the other, just because overall, it's like, the most freakin' sweet OP I've seen in like... forever. But I don't think it gives Drivin' through the Night that much of run for it's money.

As much as I love the Bomb-A-Head though, isn't it a recycle of a song the band did in like... 1992 if I'm thinking right?

Ah. As for the series it self, I'm just quite intrested in how (or if) Nagi is gonna mix his street fighting skills with organized martial arts. I've never been a large fan of highly organized martial arts (mostly eastern martial arts in general, especially those that emphasize chi and other such, but I have huge exceptions to that generalization), but they're somewhat intresting nevertheless. And I absolutely love how Bob uses Capoeria, and I'm really intrested in how he's gonna improve on that (even Takayanagi seemed somewhat impressed that Bob could use Capoeria).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2