• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
Apparently, Zeta is barely able to sell even a fraction of its 10,000 copies limited run,

Given how the only thing even remotely close to advertisement it got was word-of-mouth at conventions and how it was pretty much nowhere to be found unless you're an online shopper, this comes as no surprise. If Bandai had actually put effort into trying to sell it and make it somewhat available to people in a means not requiring a credit card & an ISP, I could easily imagine them moving every single copy of the limited edition box by now. Universal Century titles don't sell very well, but just dropping them out there without really saying anything doesn't help (or course, neither does bad press and panic about it being a "defective product" because Bandai refused to forewarn consumers of certain unavoidable issues beforehand). I think Double Zeta & Victory can sell (Turn-A, as well; hey, it's already got my money), but Bandai needs to actually try and sell us the product instead of trying their damndest to sneak it under our noses and hope we just so happen to notice like they did with Zeta (which really needed a "hey, guys, it's out, check out our ads" sort of notification due to all the delays and resulting confusion over the real release date).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, for some reason, a few chains, like Best Buy (where I got mine for a radically reduced price), were stocking quite a few of it when it first came out. Since then it seems the merchandise have been returned to the shipper since they've all vanished.

But you're right. I don't know what Bandai's marketing department has been doing in the last year, but I have seen almost zero exposure for anything Gundam. Even Seed wasn't really marketed that well (at least compared to previous Gundam shows), and it seems Bandai USA has stopped shipping Gundam toys or something because they've disappeared from storeshelves.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
and it seems Bandai USA has stopped shipping Gundam toys or something because they've disappeared from storeshelves.

The Gundam toys bombed here because just about the only ones Bandai gave any mass-market exposure to were the same three or four cannon-fodder G Gundam suits and a few choice "battle-scarred" figures. Sorry, but people don't want 1,001 Mandala Gundams, Ashura Gundams, & Skull Gundams, Bandai. And now none of the retailers want to stock SEED figures because they crammed those exact G Gundam figures down their throats so ferociously. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
Well, at least this bodes well for me, because if Zeta hasn't come close to selling out, then I still have time to save up my money for the boxed set (you bet your arse I want it! I just don't have the $$ right now).
wil2197

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
darkhunger wrote:
and it seems Bandai USA has stopped shipping Gundam toys or something because they've disappeared from storeshelves.

The Gundam toys bombed here because just about the only ones Bandai gave any mass-market exposure to were the same three or four cannon-fodder G Gundam suits and a few choice "battle-scarred" figures. Sorry, but people don't want 1,001 Mandala Gundams, Ashura Gundams, & Skull Gundams, Bandai. And now none of the retailers want to stock SEED figures because they crammed those exact G Gundam figures down their throats so ferociously. Rolling Eyes

There's still plenty of Gundam toys at the Toys R Us in Time Square. Although I don't imagine that they're flying off the shelfs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3