• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime box started sets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
how come some anime dvd come in a big box wiht one dvd like the cell games started set and .hack liminality dvd and gundam seed dvd 1 with the bonus cd comes with a big box also whats the point of them y need a big box for one dvd
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:
how come some anime dvd come in a big box wiht one dvd like the cell games started set and .hack liminality dvd and gundam seed dvd 1 with the bonus cd comes with a big box also whats the point of them y need a big box for one dvd

If you read the box, usually it will come with a detail saying "comes with a box to hold X of Y volumes!". Basically, by buying the first volume with box of gundam seed, you have a box to put the remaining nine volumes. the CD and other junk are there to justify the added price along with the box. People like this sort of thing, and it's fairly popular among anime fans, so it happens pretty often.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:

Anime companies don't release complete boxset right away. It takes time to work on each dvd to get them out for releease.

So for people who plan on collecting the whole series, they can buy volume 1 with the box and as the volumes are release, they can add it. A box also help motivate people to buy the rest of the series, since you don't want a box that's half filled.
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:

i am one of those people who usually always buys the 1st dvd + art box. The boxes are cooler and much nicer looking on a shelf than just a bunch of random single dvds in a row. Plus alot of times people want the box set with all the dvds because of the cool box, but they don't want to rebuy the whole series just for the box. This is why getting the art box in the beginning to hold the series is soo popular among anime collectors. if you wanna see just how much people actually want these box sets check out this forum animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12264
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's all marketing strategy. It costs little to produce an extra little box, but it adds a lot to the desirability factor that makes that set that much more collectible.

Same with those Hong Kong (boot or not, I don't know, but I have some of them) VCDs with the reversible CD inserts. You flip it on one side and you see a certain character from the anime. Flip it over and it shows another character or the previous character in another pose. Cool.
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Yeah, it's all marketing strategy. It costs little to produce an extra little box, but it adds a lot to the desirability factor that makes that set that much more collectible.

Same with those Hong Kong (boot or not, I don't know, but I have some of them) VCDs with the reversible CD inserts. You flip it on one side and you see a certain character from the anime. Flip it over and it shows another character or the previous character in another pose. Cool.

that is sweet. i have never seen that before. they should do that with some non boot dvds, that would be awsome.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
There are some non-boots out there that do have reversable covers, Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team has reversable covers (one featuring a pro Fedi cover, the other a pro Zeon) and Peacemaker Kurogane also has reversable covers...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
There are some non-boots out there that do have reversable covers, Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team has reversable covers (one featuring a pro Fedi cover, the other a pro Zeon) and Peacemaker Kurogane also has reversable covers...

And Witch Hunter Robin too. Reversible covers awesome.

As for me, I only buy anime if they come with box. That's why I'm holding out on fighting spirit because there's no artbox for it.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
Wow i am stupid. Anime hyper I didn't realize exactly what was ment until i just read it again. I flip covers on my anime all the time. Like Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade, and Azumanga. All of which i think have great alternate covers. geeze i am dumb Anime smile + sweatdrop
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade has a "Nice" Cover, and a "Naughty" One.

Same is true for most ADV releases as of late.

Last edited by Haiseikoh 1973 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

yes it does Twisted Evil
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Same is true for most ADV releases as of late.

Don't forget "Samurai X." But for me, the "nice" cover would be the one that actually says Rurouni Kenshin and not the "naughty," crappy, bastardizing, yet marketable misnomer title that some people dislike.
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Don't forget "Samurai X." But for me, the "nice" cover would be the one that actually says Rurouni Kenshin and not the "naughty," crappy, bastardizing, yet marketable misnomer title that some people dislike.

I did too. I like the trust cover the most.
Another series that has some very nice and entertaining reverse covers is Magical Shopping Arcade: Abenobashi.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:

Punctuation and capital letters are your friends.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
If you read the box, usually it will come with a detail saying "comes with a box to hold X of Y volumes!". Basically, by buying the first volume with box of gundam seed, you have a box to put the remaining nine volumes. the CD and other junk are there to justify the added price along with the box. People like this sort of thing, and it's fairly popular among anime fans, so it happens pretty often.

The thing that irritates me is having to pay $19 each (on average) for ONE DVD that has 3-4 episodes on it, and then knowing that if I want the full run of a show (which is typically 13-26 episodes) I'm going to have to fork out $19 4-8 more times!

I hate the Simpsons, but I use it for an example of a cartoon DVD boxset.

On Amazon.com I can buy The Simpsons Season 5 DVD set for anywhere between $32 and $49 depending on if it is on sale and how much. It has 22 episodes and comes on FOUR DVDs with the following features:

Available subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
22 episodes on four discs: Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Cape Feare, Homer Goes to College, Rosebud, Treehouse of Horror IV, Marge on the Lam, Bart's Inner Child, Boy-Scoutz N the Hood, The Last Temptation of Homer, Springfield, Homer the Vigilante, Bart Gets Famous, Homer and Apu, Lisa vs. Malibu Stacey, Deep Space Homer, Homer Loves Flanders, Bart Gets an Elephant, Burns' Heir, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, Lady Bouvier's Lover, Secrets of a Successful Marriage

Commentary on all episodes, including Matt Groening, David Mirkin, James L. Brooks, and Conan O'Brien
Animation showcase
Audio intro with Matt Groening and montage
Commercials
Deleted scenes
Special language feature
Animatics
Illustrated commentaries
Audio outtake
Original sketches
A look back with James L. Brooks
Number of discs: 4

There is NO reason that anime should be packaged and sold the way it is. It simply isn't a good value for the money, and I think it is one of the reasons that people don't get into anime more than they do. They simply can't afford to!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2