• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Turn A Gundam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've seen 9 episodes of this show, so I can't really make a judgement on it just yet. I went to another forum and 2 or 3 people said it was awful. So my question is, what is your opinion of Turn A Gundam?
Golgo13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's way better than SEED.

Turn-A isn't the original Gundam universe, but Yoshiyuki Tomino did direct this series and it shows. The show is based more on relationships than mecha battles. The series is definetely worth watching all the way to the end with a grand finale.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first seven episodes, and that was enough for me to realize that I really wanted to see more. Personally I have not found a Gundam series that I did not at least somewhat like yet.

The difference between this series and other Gundam's that I have seen, is that there are no Gundam's in the first episode. That was unique, and I also think the characters are all very interesting so far. As for the music, it was done by Yoko Kanno, so I think it's pretty good too. I'd like to see more, but haven't had much luck finding anything else. Sad

~LoneWolf
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Turn A Gundam is perhaps the best Gundam series out there. It's a tough call for me to make, but TAG is one that I'm always considering (along with Victory and First Gundam) for the title. I really just love everything about the show. The story, the characters, the music, the animation, the art style (including mecha and character designs), the overall environment that all these things came together to create... It's really a fantastic show, and unlike most Tomino Gundam shows, it's a genuinely upbeat show, too. ZZ was the most cheerful of his other Gundam shows (but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it upbeat), but it wasn't very good for a whole host of other reasons. Pretty much every other Tomino Gundam ranges from bittersweet (CCA) to downright unrelentingly bleak (Victory). Turn A carries a hopeful atmosphere throughout the entire show, and while the dark and depressing shows can be awesome in their own ways too, that more positive outlook is really nice.

Opinions on Turn A are fairly divided. I will say that, in my personal experience, it seems like the people who hated it *generally* didn't watch very much of it and gave up after only a few episodes, before the show really has an opportunity to establish itself. Obviously, that doesn't always hold true, but it's a fairly common pattern. If you're still hanging on by episode nine and you don't think you hate it yet, I would suggest that you keep going with it. It does start a little slow, but it's really an incredibly good show.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Turn A Gundam is perhaps the best Gundam series out there. It's a tough call for me to make, but TAG is one that I'm always considering (along with Victory and First Gundam) for the title. I really just love everything about the show. The story, the characters, the music, the animation, the art style (including mecha and character designs), the overall environment that all these things came together to create... It's really a fantastic show, and unlike most Tomino Gundam shows, it's a genuinely upbeat show, too. ZZ was the most cheerful of his other Gundam shows (but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it upbeat), but it wasn't very good for a whole host of other reasons. Pretty much every other Tomino Gundam ranges from bittersweet (CCA) to downright unrelentingly bleak (Victory). Turn A carries a hopeful atmosphere throughout the entire show, and while the dark and depressing shows can be awesome in their own ways too, that more positive outlook is really nice.

I did love this show too, despite the slow start... but "genuinely upbeat?" This definately went in the "bittersweet" category in my mind, especially having seen the end.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I want to see Turn-A really bad. I hope its the next one to be brought over.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

For my wish on the NEXT one, I really am torn between Victory and Turn A. However, if Zeta does really well... they'll probably be rushing to get ZZ out soon after.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
zaphdash wrote:

I did love this show too, despite the slow start... but "genuinely upbeat?" This definately went in the "bittersweet" category in my mind, especially having seen the end.

How is Turn A bittersweet? For one thing, throughout the course of the entire show, there were only a few deaths. The show was never nearly as gloomy as its UC counterparts could get. spoiler[The show ended on an up note, with pretty much every major character surviving (except Gym Ghingnham), the Earth and moon working together for peaceful coexistence, and except for Sochie, pretty much everyone got what they wanted: Loran got to be with Dianna, Dianna got to return to Earth (and no, I don't believe Dianna died in the final scene, but that is up for interpretation), Kihel got to enter society instead of going to college, Guin got to see some amount of industrialization occur (perhaps not to the degree he originally wanted, but he didn't seem to mind at the end anyway)... Sochie kind of got shafted at the end, but depriving a 15 year old girl of the guys she loved (first Gavane, then Loran) isn't really the end of the world. With the possible exception of ZZ, this was easily the happiest ending for a Tomino Gundam series, and the entire show was about as upbeat as the ending. Obviously, any show about war is going to have some down points, like the death of Diran Heim and the visit to his grave, the death of Will Game, the nuclear explosion, etc. But the atmosphere of the show was consistently optimistic in spite of the bad things that occasionally happened. I just don't see the show as bittersweet -- although if you had a particularly strong attachment to Sochie or believe that Dianna died at the end, then I can see where you would feel that way.]

By the way, apologies in advance if my spoiler tags are messed up. I put them in correctly, but they're showing up a little weird in the post preview, so hopefully when I send this people aren't going to hear a lot of stuff they didn't want to hear.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
For my wish on the NEXT one, I really am torn between Victory and Turn A. However, if Zeta does really well... they'll probably be rushing to get ZZ out soon after.

If you ask me, the most likely order for everything to come over at this point is something like Double Zeta (reports say they're already working on it), SEED Destiny (SEED's a big seller for Bandai, even if the TV run's been glaringly average), X (potential to appeal to Wing fans), and then Victory & Turn-A in some order (being the ones with the "most questionable mass market appeal").

Anyway, I used to be skeptical about Turn-A, but having seen the first three episodes I've been quite impressed. I love the setting, the characters, the music...and the mech designs do grow on you after a while. WaDoms own you. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
linlinchan wrote:
zaphdash wrote:

How is Turn A bittersweet? For one thing, throughout the course of the entire show, there were only a few deaths. The show was never nearly as gloomy as its UC counterparts could get. spoiler[The show ended on an up note, with pretty much every major character surviving (except Gym Ghingnham), the Earth and moon working together for peaceful coexistence, and except for Sochie, pretty much everyone got what they wanted: Loran got to be with Dianna, Dianna got to return to Earth (and no, I don't believe Dianna died in the final scene, but that is up for interpretation), Kihel got to enter society instead of going to college, Guin got to see some amount of industrialization occur (perhaps not to the degree he originally wanted, but he didn't seem to mind at the end anyway)... Sochie kind of got shafted at the end, but depriving a 15 year old girl of the guys she loved (first Gavane, then Loran) isn't really the end of the world. With the possible exception of ZZ, this was easily the happiest ending for a Tomino Gundam series, and the entire show was about as upbeat as the ending. Obviously, any show about war is going to have some down points, like the death of Diran Heim and the visit to his grave, the death of Will Game, the nuclear explosion, etc. But the atmosphere of the show was consistently optimistic in spite of the bad things that occasionally happened. I just don't see the show as bittersweet -- although if you had a particularly strong attachment to Sochie or believe that Dianna died at the end, then I can see where you would feel that way.]

By the way, apologies in advance if my spoiler tags are messed up. I put them in correctly, but they're showing up a little weird in the post preview, so hopefully when I send this people aren't going to hear a lot of stuff they didn't want to hear.

I guess the problem is that I think that Sochie was the best character in the show so the ending gave me a major shock.
foxxman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
When did it come out?

Last edited by foxxman on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
foxxman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Can you buy it on DVD?
itsatrapMF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

Bandai will be releasing ZZ I would think. However I doubt they will rush at all. They know Zeta is going to sell very, very big, yet they really are giving us a hard time about it's release. From changing release dates, to the non-union voice acting. You can tell Bandai is going to be lacking in ZZ if they were in Zeta for sure.

As for Turn A, I've only recently seen the first half of the series, but from what I saw, it's quite good. It's nice to see the classic Zaku's & Dom's with innovatiive new designs such as the Turn A, Turn X, and FLAT's. Looks promising and I cannot wait to finish the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Golgo13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope Tomino doesn't go nuts with remastering for a U.S. release like he did with Gundam 0079.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
foxxman wrote:
Can you buy it on DVD?
No need to post twice..
Anyway not it has not, but Bandai has said that they have licesned "every gundam". IMO Turn-A is a very good series, although I've only seen 5 episodes. I really liked the animation, but didn't like the "mustache" on that one gundam(can't remember it's name right now).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2