• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does EPop exist?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So I'm sitting here thinking that there are all these Japanese bands that throw random English words 'n' phrases into their songs, but I don't think I've ever heard an English band throw a random Japanese phrase into their songs.

Are there, I dunno, like anime cover bands dotting the American landscape? I heard about a band that does all their songs about video games, but never an anime band.

Eh. Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's some anime cover bands, but for the most part, they largely suck. They usually make their appearance at small conventions around the country. I can't think of any names at the moment, but they're all small-time fan-based, off-key operations.

As for Japanese words, the only terms you'll hear is the occasional "arigato" or something. A large portion of the Japanese populace (that listens to pop music) knows enough English for the English phrases in the music to be intelligible. Conversely, this is not true for the general American populace, whose Japanese is limited to arigato, sayonara, etc.

Until Japanese is more readily known in the US, I don't think you'll be hearing a lot of advanced phrases in the latest pop tunes.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Domo Aregato, Mr. Roboto!
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:56 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Until Japanese is more readily known in the US, I don't think you'll be hearing a lot of advanced phrases in the latest pop tunes.

See, I think part of the charm of JPop is the occasional instance bad "Engrish" that pops up. Don't you think you could create quite a stir on the other side of the pond by making stuttering remarks in Japanese? It seems to me that the Japanese culture is all about novelty and something different, which this certainly would be.

I'm telling you, I'm on to something here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:42 pm Reply with quote
<3 engrish <3

it's just fun. but yeah, it'll be a long time before japanese words or phrases get put into american music. unless of course the band/singer or whatever loves japan, and speaks some japanese. but, who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1