• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Master Mangaka at work

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
http://www.flow-er.co.jp

1. click on english
2. click on work.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed May 16, 2007 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Pretty interesting site. I only wish Inoue's work was more easily accessible here in the states.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Pretty interesting site. I only wish Inoue's work was more easily accessible here in the states.

If you really want to have a physical copy there was an English edition of Slam Dunk published in Singapore that is probably importable. Other than that you have to settle for internet scans. But at least his magnum opus is being published in English.

Nice site though. Inoue always seems to be doing cutting-edge stuff like that.
LothairMantelar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well that was pretty damn cool.

His name kind of tickles my memory, but I doubt I really knew anything about him, just the name lol. Vagabond DOES sound familiar though... is it one of the things you were referring to being difficult to obtain in the States?
Asako

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Wow! that was cool! Thanks for the link!

Lookie in the video!! He has the grave of the fireflies tin on his desk! Smile YUM!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I really love Inoue's work area. Seems a break away from the "closed in manga-ka working with no sunlight on a low table" vision that I always get in my head.

LothairMantelar wrote:
His name kind of tickles my memory, but I doubt I really knew anything about him, just the name lol. Vagabond DOES sound familiar though... is it one of the things you were referring to being difficult to obtain in the States?

Takehikou Inoue is most famous worldwide for his manga Slam Dunk, to which Kagemusha refers to as being hard to obtain. What I and many others consider to be his masterwork, Vagabond, is quite readily available and is caught up to its current Japanese release as far as volumes go (twenty-five, specifically). I consider Vagabond to be the greatest handled serial manga as far as North America goes; Viz really gives it the treatment that it deserves.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
I think it gives nice insight to the genius behind Slam Dunk and Vagabond. While I see you guys talking about how it's hard to get English versions of Slam Dunk, they're pretty plentiful when it comes to the Japanese releases (another reason I can be thankful I speak Japanese). Vagabond rocks Wink
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Well, Slam Dunk is hard to get in the US because the company who was translating it went bankrupt. Kind of kills the distribution chain, that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Subaru19

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Well, Slam Dunk is hard to get in the US because the company who was translating it went bankrupt. Kind of kills the distribution chain, that.

Ah. I was going to post saying something along the lines of "Wait I really remember seeing Slam Dunk in my local bookstore a while back," but I guess that's what happened. I wonder if there's a way for someone else to pick up the rights to release a manga once something like that happens.

And I've heard only good things about Vagabond. I never picked it up because I didn't think the style was really something I'd get into, but eh who knows. I think I'll give it a try.
Beholder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
oh my god, he really does use a brush to ink all of Vagabond...
Trytan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it was gutsoon who had the liscense. Tokyopop needs to pick it up. The only basketball manga that they have is Harlem Heat which isn't really the same as the original slam dunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1