• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guilty Gear Strive Game Gets Switch Version

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd say this annoucement would've been more of a surpirse if the existence of this port hadn't been leaked from a photo someone took at banner at PAX, kind of weird that they didn't announce it in the latest direct, but Strive is still a popular fighting game, and while I wish ArcSys could've port it earlier, it includes all the 28 characters and it has rollback, surprisingly.
I think Strive joins the list of list of games that people thought developers were holding until the release of the Switch 2, but we still have no clue when Nintendo is going to release their next console and some developers cannot ignore the Switch's huge installbase. Though I find it kind of funny that Strive's developers apparently said things like, "Being on Switch would not be a good look for the franchise's style", I honestly don't know what they meant, but it's not like the Guilty Gear series hasn't been present on Nintendo consoles before, there have been GG games on the GBA, DS, Wii and on Switch ArcSys has released games like BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle and Central Fiction, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and DNF: Duel, though I don't know if these last four were released due to Bandai, Atlus and Nexon. At least the original Guilty Gear and XX Accent Core Plus R where released on the Switch, though people wondered why they didn't port Xrd.
There's also some people who think ArcSys is releasing Strive on Switch to capitalize on the recently announced Guilty Gear anime, which is something similar to what happened with other games ported to the Switch like NieR: Automata and the recently announced Yakuza Kiwami, which both were released close to their television adaptations.
Going back to the game, I've always found it fascinating when a fighting game gets ported to weaker hardware, as I said, plenty of people are complaining that Strive will look bad on Switch, but we have seen things like Mortal Kombat on Game Boy, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the Super NES and Street Fighter IV on the 3DS. I think the Switch has become a popular platform for fighting games, despite what people say, I think we'll probably going to see things like Street Fighter 6, The King of Fighters XV and Fatal Fury City of the Wolves on the Switch's successor, though I'm hoping Tekken 8 will get a Switch 2 version, since there aren't any 3D fighters on Switch, it's all 2D fighters, arena fighters and platform fighters.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:38 pm Reply with quote
^

Fingers crossed for both SF 6 and 2XKO to come out on the Switch 2.

I would finally be able to play as my favorite girls Marisa and Illaoi, respectively.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I think Strive joins the list of list of games that people thought developers were holding until the release of the Switch 2

People are still waiting for Genshin Impact to go to the Switch - 4 years after it was pre-announced!

Heck, GI is getting an unannounced Xbox port and Game Pass this autumn before the Switch!

At this point, it's quite obvious they're not going to release it until Switch 2
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
They're saying this version will have no crossplay support so I'm expecting it's pretty much going to be dead on arrival.
Stinkabod Lamé

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:43 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
They're saying this version will have no crossplay support so I'm expecting it's pretty much going to be dead on arrival.

Is there no couch co-op in Strive?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

I can only imagine the lag with Switch architecture trying to cross play with PS5/One X and PC. The ports of MK11 and MK One come to mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1