• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senpai is an Otokonoko (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Senpai is an Otokonoko (TV)

Source:

Demographic:

Animation Studio:

Genres:

Themes:

Plot Summary: Saki, a high school student, confesses her feelings to Makoto. Taken aback, Makoto reveals his secret, but the sudden discovery doesn't seem to bother Saki who is already head over heels for him. After being rejected, Saki asks Ryuji, Makoto's childhood friend, for some advice on how to win his heart. A love triangle unfolds when Ryuji realizes that he might also have some feelings for his old friend.

Air Date & Platform:
July 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:52 am Reply with quote
Another drop for me, I already have two romance shows on my to watch list (Russian and Stepsister) and that is the very max for me. Senpai is an Otokonoko seems solid yet not above the other two.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I like it. The humour works for me and the ending where Makato puts their female clothing in a locker and says "Goodnight, me" was absolutely [expletive] heart-breaking.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:28 am Reply with quote
The humor works for me too, and this show fits right in that category where I'd watch an anime just because of it's pretty backgrounds and musical scores even if I thought it was boring otherwise.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:29 am Reply with quote
Well, a lot of times it skipped backgrounds almost entirely, but when it did show them, they were purdy. Was too lazy to edit that sidenote in there.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:37 am Reply with quote
It does look lovely, I wish it aired in a season not asolutely filled to the brink with romance anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:26 am Reply with quote
Looking at the title I was both excited and a little worried. My understanding is otokonoko can refer to a couple of different groups, that being GNC (Gender Non-Conforming) guys, and AMAB (Assigned Male At Birth) trans people, and the confusion of the two can be assuming those of the second are the first. As such, it is not really clear where Makoto is on this, whether they are GNC and still identify as a boy, a trans-girl, or maybe non-binary with a preference for feminine presentation. Although I am leaning on the trans side at the moment.

I know Saki is meant to be somewhat off-putting, but dang if her joy at finding out Makoto's gender thing felt relatable to my bisexual heart. Just as Maokoto's gender thing was somewhat relatable to my own experiences.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:52 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Thanks for explaining what the initials meant. For those of us on the outside trying to understand what is going on there are a lot of unexplained initials, words we have not seen before and words that obviously don't mean what they used to. It all gets a bit confusing at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1