• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Brings 4K Remaster of Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg Anime to N. American Theaters in 2025

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

GKids also said that they're gonna put it out on home video, according to this:https://x.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1795896157551350252.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, there's an audience for the film, and GKids didn't overpay for it.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading about this movie since the 90s and as a big fan of Yoshitaka Amano, it's long been a holy grail on my want-to-see list. This is so exciting!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Just saw this on Twitter/X just 15-20 minutes ago (I was out shopping and just load up Twitter and saw it via GKIDS's Twitter post), so this will be the first time Angel's Egg in it's uncut form will debut in the US/North America (I pretty much called this on a previous thread few weeks ago). But I have a question: GKIDS will handle the theatrical release, so are they handling the home video/physical media distribution, or is Arrow Film going to handle that one given that they previously released In the Aftermath in 2019? If Arrow Film is going to do a 4K UHD BD re-release of In the Aftermath/Angel's Egg on one 4K UHD disc with 2 different cut (both Angel's Egg, & In the Aftermath)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope it looks better than their Nadia release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I have been curious about this movie for a while but never watched it.
This should remedy that.
GATSU wrote:

So what if they overpaid? GKIDS has enough money to have licensed Evangelion. In fact, I hope they buy Sentai/HIDIVE from AMC because they are taking them in a weird direction.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news. Looking forward to seeing it in theaters, and getting the bluray! (Assuming that's what they mean by home video release.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
I hope at some point it gets a theatrical screening in the UK. I've got a friend who is not an Anime fan, but he does like some Anime films, like Wings of Honneamise.
Angel M Cazares wrote:
GATSU wrote:

So what if they overpaid? GKIDS has enough money to have licensed Evangelion. In fact, I hope they buy Sentai/HIDIVE from AMC because they are taking them in a weird direction.
If they did that, would't that mean that all future GKIDS films would be dubbed in Texas and not LA? We don't get that many LA dubs these days, CR only seem to have Texas dubs, Viz, Discotek and Aniplex don't dub many titles.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:07 am Reply with quote
Oh NICE! I’ve never seen this so I’ll definitely support the release.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
Oh NICE! I’ve never seen this so I’ll definitely support the release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope at some point it gets a theatrical screening in the UK. I've got a friend who is not an Anime fan, but he does like some Anime films, like Wings of Honneamise.
Angel M Cazares wrote:
GATSU wrote:

If they did that, would't that mean that all future GKIDS films would be dubbed in Texas and not LA? We don't get that many LA dubs these days, CR only seem to have Texas dubs, Viz, Discotek and Aniplex don't dub many titles.

In that hypothetical I wouldn't worry about dubbing movies in Texas. GKIDS seems to me like a company heavily invested in distributing anime movies and because of that I would expect them to keep dubing in California to have access to voice work from celebrities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1