• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air Gear (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Air Gear (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, tournament
Themes: ecchi, gangs, roller blades, school, sports

Plot Summary: Minami “Ikki” Itsuki, is a student and a delinquent. Also known as the “Unbeatable Babyface,” Ikki is the leader of the youth gang by the name of “East Side Gunz.” Upon his return home after being humiliated by a street gang of Storm Riders called the Skull Saders Ikki discovers a secret hidden from him by his benefactors, the Noyamano sisters. The sisters belong to a group of Storm Riders who go by the team name of Sleeping Forest. Keen on helping Ikki to regain his confidence and pride, they supply him with a pair of Air Trecks (abbreviated as “AT”). Ikki eventually settles his grudge with the Skull Saders, but in the process he receives more than the simple satisfaction of revenge. Determined to experience the sensation of “flight” for as long as he can, our headstrong protagonist is quickly sucked into the mysterious, yet irresistible world of Air Treck.
----------------------------------

Being a big fan of Tenjho Tenge, I had fairly high expectations for this series. However after watching the first two episodes I'm a little underwhelemed. Basically we have Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future meets YuGiOh. They definitley delievered on attractive character designs (Ringo and Simca) but other than that it's just a series that I can't give much more than a shrug to. So, what does everyone else think so far? And for those familiar with the manga, is it pretty cut and dry or can I expect some improvement?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first episode but I'm loving it. It makes me wanna check out the manga.

From what I have seen on messageboards and such, the anime is very different from the manga. I heard the first few episodes skip some things from the manga. Overall, it seems the manga is better. But not having read the manga, the anime still seems worthwhile to me. I'll definitely stick with it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
i watched the first episode, and i was extremely disappointed by it. not only did they fail to capture any of the hip style that made the manga so good, but the animation direction is really bad. the skating scenes looked really generic, and didn't have any imagination at all. they completely ruined the "Wing Road" scene.

still, it seems like it's following a different plot, so i'm curious where it's going.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i watched the first episode, and i was extremely disappointed by it. not only did they fail to capture any of the hip style that made the manga so good, but the animation direction is really bad. the skating scenes looked really generic, and didn't have any imagination at all. they completely ruined the "Wing Road" scene.

still, it seems like it's following a different plot, so i'm curious where it's going.

I agree I can't believe they spoiler[took out the firecracker up the ass thing and the ball crushing move Rika did from the manga ]. And they did skip a few parts form the manga. I'm going to stick with the manga though
hikaru393

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
i have seen eps 1 and 2 and love the series never read the manga but at a forum i go to evreyone that has read the manga hates the anime the animation is cool and ikki is awsome when he skates i can't wait for the manga to be released by dell ray and i skate so it even makes it even better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Any one else like air gear it's one of my fav anime ikki is funny and awsome at skating the animation is cool to the way they do the races i haven't read the manga picking vol 1 up on the 25th but i heard the anime and manga are very diffrint from each other any one know if this anime has a chance to get picked up by bandai or another compony for a release in america?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
after the watching the first episode, i just couldn't get into it. it felt like they got rid of all the style that made the manga so good. the animation looks really generic.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I was extremely disappointed with it. Given how great Tenjho Tenge was I'll admit my expectations were a little high, but even so I find the show to be subpar. I've watched up to 10 and so far it hasn't really grabbed my interest either. The animation itself is below average and as much as the show would like to have style it's all very generic. The rather large moments, like the scene with the wings, are really downplayed because the show results to using mere stills. Also the show is all over the place. I know there's at least one episode where they try to cram like 3 plots into one (all filler plots) and the result just left me wondering exactly what was going on. To me the show has very little direction. It feels like it wants to be Jet Grind/Jet Set Radio Future, but it comes up short on every mark. From what I understand though the manga is better by leaps and bounds.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
yeah evreyone says the manga is so much better then the anime and i also heard there making an air gear movie but i have never read the manga before but the art looks awsome.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
This was one of those shows my opinion just did a complete 180 on. I really liked it at first, but when I finished the third episode I started to think about the series and went back to watch the first episode. After skimming through a few scenes I was just thinking "GOD this is hoaky", I don't remember that line he says at the end of the first episode about his heart not wanting to give up, but when I saw that again, I deleted the show and will never watch it again. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
It was good fun for the first episode, but after that, it pretty much followed the same formula over and over again and became a chore to watch. Ikki gets challenged, Ikki is losing, Ikki makes a comeback, Ikki wins, Ikki goes "Yea I'm goin' to become teh best Air Trekker evar! Fear meh!" And all that super organized ranking stuff further caused this series to fall into the endless pit of cliche shounen fare.

Ringo is HOT though. She's one of the only reasons I'm still watching the show. Simca isn't half bad either.
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
You guys remind me of my friends. Wink You need to give series more time than the first few episodes.. many shows don't start getting good until episode 10-11, and in my opinion, this is one of them.

At first, I thought the show was 'okay'. It seemed entertaining enough, but as someone mentioned, very cheesy and somewhat childish. This trend continues.. I mean, even in the episodes now, there is a lot of 'childish' humor.. potty jokes, censored-nudity as humor, funny-faces, etc. However, in my opinion, the show has gotten LOTS better in the last few episodes.. ever since Ikki formed his own team.

At first, the action was kinda poorly animated and even the races weren't that good, but that has improved a lot. By the time Ikki's team starts battling people for real, the races are REALLY exciting. And when the pseudo-mythological backround of the Storm Riders starts coming out, the stuff about the 8 Roads and the 8 Kings, and the Trophaeum and stuff.. it just makes it seem much cooler.

And lets not forget Agito/Akito. Once he shows up and starts playing a major role, the show suddenly becomes 10 times as awesome. I'm not usually a big fan of gay male characters, but my lordy, Agito is AWESOME. Smile And it's hinted that some big stuff is in the future for Kazu-kun too, which I am excited to see.

This show was originally the least favorite if my current batch. I was keeping up with it merely because it was worth a few little laughs. However, it has gotten MUCH better, starting around episode 11. If you can deal with the childish humor (or even enjoy it, as I admit I do), the racing and the weird mythology of the Storm Riders,plus the total awesomeness of Ikki's team makes this show well worth watching. It's no psychological epic.. it is what it is, a shounen action/comedy. However, it's now my second favorite show I'm currently watching, after Utawarerumono, and a lot better than most people give it credit for.

Give shows a chance! Three or four episodes is not enough to tell if a show is going to be good. Wink
airgearfan08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know if there will be a second season? if there isnt im gonna kill someone
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
And lets not forget Agito/Akito. Once he shows up and starts playing a major role, the show suddenly becomes 10 times as awesome. I'm not usually a big fan of gay male characters, but my lordy, Agito is AWESOME. Smile And it's hinted that some big stuff is in the future for Kazu-kun too, which I am excited to see.

just wait until spoiler[lind comes out!!! he is better than both of them put together and doesn't appear to be gay.]

but i wonder of they will go that far or follow that plot line even. (sigh) why must they do this to us??!
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Gigantic necroposting here you know. The last post was in 2006.

Not to mention that since there are no indications of a new season of Air Gear if you even made this its own topic it would get locked. The manga goes past the standing anime season at volume 8 or 9 (it likely covers some of 8 and starts new half way through like TenTen did). Just buy that once it comes out or read scanlations since no new anime seems forthcoming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3