• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Tears to Tiara Get Dubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Well now I can get Tears of Tiara off my hard drive. I'm one of those fan who was B****ing "noooo, sub only I'm not buying", but now I feel a bit justified in doing so.

How is that justified? Did you read the press release? These dubs are a result of fans supporting the sub-only releases, enough to make these, their most popular properties dub-viable. Lots of fans passed the buck of not wanting to buy unless it was cheap enough in years passed - hence the need for some publishers to go to sub-only. If people kept going back to the mentality of, not buying or showing support... niche will remain niche and no dub.

And yes, I do realize this does creates a dilemma for Sentai with fans wanting to wait, hence why I think they made an excellent move with the Upgrade program. However, I wonder if fans who bought it initially might expect too much - like buy the dub versions for some insanely low price. Rolling Eyes

It'll be interesting to see how Sentai moves forward with future releases.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Well that's pretty unexpected. I have some reservations about how this trade in deal will work out so it's lucky I held off on buying Ghost Hound. I'll definitely pick it up now.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited about this. I will definitely be buying these. The "upgrade" program is a great idea but I'm probably just going to double-dip to show my full support for this decision. I hope it goes well enough for them to dub After Story, which I'd also really like.

I'm not under any illusion that these dubs will be particularly great. Seeing so many episodes mentioned being dubbed does have me wondering if they were on a rushed schedule and a more limited budget. I will keep my expectations in check, but I am going to be very happy to hear how it turns out regardless.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is great news!! Now not only can I pick up some titles that I was apprehensive about before, but in the future I don't have to worry about buying sub-only releases when a dubbed version might come out in the future. This upgrade program is a really great idea; I can rest assured that if the show I recently bought gets a dub, I don't have to pay the full price for the entire set again; instead I can 'upgrade'. I love you Sentai. Very Happy
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
The Count wrote:
Well now I can get Tears of Tiara off my hard drive. I'm one of those fan who was B****ing "noooo, sub only I'm not buying", but now I feel a bit justified in doing so.

How is that justified? Did you read the press release? These dubs are a result of fans supporting the sub-only releases, enough to make these, their most popular properties dub-viable. Lots of fans passed the buck of not wanting to buy unless it was cheap enough in years passed - hence the need for some publishers to go to sub-only. If people kept going back to the mentality of, not buying or showing support... niche will remain niche and no dub.
Justified was not the word I should have used there just the first that popped up in my head, and I understand that not all publishers can afford to dub titles and if they can afford it they can't do it all the time. I'm just happy three shows I've wanted badly will get a re release in they way I enjoy more.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
yay! this means we actually get to hear certain usually adv-only va's like hilary haag and jessica boone again.
JR117

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Then watch the sub, you're given a choice for a reason. Either way, this is obvious trolling.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
JR117 wrote:
Dude Clannad should stay sub not dub it's going to suck now Sad Crying or Very sad

Quit wanking - nobody is making you buy it or watch it, so STFU.

Annnyway ... I'm really curious how the upgrade will work. I hope we don't have to have receipts - I'm not sure if I saved them. I wish I'd just waited! I had no idea they would ever dub Clannad. I also have Blue Drop and volume 1 of Ghost Hound, but I haven't even watched them yet. Hmmm. If the price is reasonable, I will upgrade on all of them.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
JR117 wrote:
Dude Clannad should stay sub not dub it's going to suck now Sad Crying or Very sad

Yes, because you'll be forced to watch it dubbed. Worst troll attempt ever.

Glad to see dub fans are getting a version they can enjoy. Not something I'm interested in, but glad they get it anyways. Also glad that Sentai has viewed it as economically feasible to do so. Maybe they had help defraying the costs or whatever, but the titles must have performed well enough to justify the dub so that's a good thing in my book.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why so many people assume these dubs are gonna suck.

The reasons alot of people seem to think is that they are going to be rushed and the amount of stuff they said they are dubbing.

Well first off we don't know if they will be rushed as the article doesn't have a release date and it could be very far ahead. Aside from that the only reason they would have to rush is if EVERY show had the same cast which would be highly unlikely.

Considering they are using what used to be ADV's dubbing studio I would assume they will be using the same actors as well and towards the end of ADV's time dubbing anime they were churning out some incredible stuff.
JR117

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
JR117 wrote:

Yes, because you'll be forced to watch it dubbed. Worst troll attempt ever.

Glad to see dub fans are getting a version they can enjoy. Not something I'm interested in, but glad they get it anyways. Also glad that Sentai has viewed it as economically feasible to do so. Maybe they had help defraying the costs or whatever, but the titles must have performed well enough to justify the dub so that's a good thing in my book.

Well i give it a try?
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. I already own both Clannad and After Story, so hopefully I can take advantage of the upgrade program.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
What? Ghost Hound, Blue Drop, and Fist of the North Star are getting a dub? Surprised Surprised Surprised
http://fozzy42.com/SoundClips/Cartoons/yabadabadoo.wav
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
It's great for those who wants these anime titles to be dub. I am disappointed. I would like to see Glass Mask, Gintama, and Eyeshield 21 t be dubbed.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Just want to chime in and say, "Yahoo!" I didn't mind the subtitles, but I also think there are some great dub actors out there too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13