• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Magical Index (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 18......HELL YES!!! Blushing dere dere Biri Biri for the massive win win!!! Cool Embarassed

It's a standalone episode surprisingly (and obviously my attention is on the date with Biri Biri, and not that other plot), but it did introduce the potential plot point...spoiler[....and that's Touma's so-called faction of befriending the girls from both the magic side and science side which will cause future disputes of these overall groups. So this is what the epic battle between science and magic that's been implying?]
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Index-tan, yay! It's not quite as good as Shana-tan, but it's still fun.

I enjoyed the reference, but the rest of the bits fell a bit flat.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
And Touma ends the story arc in the hospital again. Is that 4 for 4 now?

Ha. Hadn't noticed that til you mentioned it. Interesting if they really are planning it that way.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
but if you're going to make up rules for magic, they need to make some kind of sense.

Let's not start asking the show to make sense this late in the game. I gave up on any sort of consistent universe or plot long ago. It's eye candy and some action, and just hopefully they continue the reduction in battle dialogue. For me, the technical explanations are like that old cartoon of the dog, who when scolded in detail by his master for five minutes, is in fact hearing blah-blah-blah, "rover", blah-blah-blah.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Episode 18......HELL YES!!! Blushing dere dere Biri Biri for the massive win win!!! Cool Embarassed

I am very happy to see more Mikoto. Hopefully this is the beginning of an arc focusing on her.

darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[So this is what the epic battle between science and magic that's been implying?]

Well, since none of this show makes much sense, I can't help you there Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Watching this series has been gradually slipping down on my prioritized "things to do" list, but episode 19 may change that. This is certainly an interesting plot twist, and from a direction I didn't expect.

As much as I was loathing seeing Accelerator not only come up again, but be featured (I really didn't like him the first time around), this "what happens after to a defeated villain" angle is a very under-used and surprisingly intriguing one. Having spoiler[an alternate perspective on the scene at the beginning of episode 18] stuck in was a further nice touch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Agree on the under-used device. He's still a d*ck, but his choice at the end allows for some redemption. I am intrigued by the plot line as well. This is the final arc, and it should bring everyone back into the fray. The previous episode bringing spoiler[Sparky back to foreground] makes sense with this new twist. I enjoyed the reveal of Misaki Misaki's spoiler[number and what she really is], and oddly I like her a lot. Not nearly as annoyed as I thought I would be with her speech pattern. Smile

If the arc continues at this quality or better, I could consider this a buy if comes over.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching episode 19. I'd been putting it off because my increasing dissatisfaction with the show and Accelerator reappearance. Unfortunately, I must say, I really liked it. Put me down for "ditto what Key said." Accelerator may still be a bit of a jerk, but he's no longer psychotic. I almost like him.

MISAKA MISAKA, however, is annoying annoying. I think I'm making up for pparker. The whole "MISAKA thinks" "MISAKA says" "MISAKA inquires" thing was starting to get to me when they were only doing it once per sentence, but now I just want to smack the verbal tick out of her!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Like Toma said in the opening "another episode without [him]?" This series is practically an anthology for all the various character groupings they cover. Still, fun to see Accelerator in action.

You know though, he's really a lot easier to take out than they make him out to be. Use the old comics tope, if they can see, you can laser their head off. Even if he could reflect light, he'd at least be blind while he did, and he can't be set up to reflect light by default or he'd be all mirrory and blind all the time, so a sniper shot should work. But of course reflecting light should be impossible (at least the way he does it, by manipulating acceleration), since you can't slow or speed up light. like that.

Also, since he can breathe, they could gas him without his knowledge.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
But of course reflecting light should be impossible (at least the way he does it, by manipulating acceleration), since you can't slow or speed up light. like that.

But he could change its direction as it is a vector.

Quote:
Also, since he can breathe, they could gas him without his knowledge.

MISAKA did try that by using her sparky-sparky to create ozone. Would have worked a lot better in a locked room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

MISAKA did try that by using her sparky-sparky to create ozone. Would have worked a lot better in a locked room.

Yeah, but that was a kind of stupidly inefficient way of doing it, slowly ionizing the air using lightning. Better to use actual gas bombs. Preferably while he slept, but even in an open space, enough gas would do the job.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It would appear the people equipping them with machine guns neglected to supply equipment that could actually kill accelerator (seeing as how the point was for him to win each battle).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Just a small question,

Is this thread going to be the main discussion for To Aru Kagaku no Railgun being as it is a side story, or is someone going to be super awesome and make a discussion thread for A Certain Scientific Railgun now that the first episode is out?

Here's hoping. Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Depends if the author decides to change the topic's title.
I'd rather see a new thread though, just hope a fan is up to the task, since I'm not really a big fan of To Aru.
Besides, next time I get some decent amount of free time I wanna create a topic which I realized a few days ago.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...I'm still watching this anime, but I think To Aru Majutsu no Index should be aired in Disney XD dubbed. Although there are scenes of inappropriateness spoiler[such as Touma using his anti-magic on Index's robes and ended up making her naked when clothes was ripped off], but that can worked out. I even have thought up of hypotheical dub cast for this anime (don't try to post there though, it's a bit a week old).
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to watching the last four episodes the first time around, so with Railgun currently airing and all I decided to go ahead and finish the last arc of the show (Episodes 21-24).

It was a nice little arc to end the show with, and I enjoyed how the Magic side (including Index herself) finally collides with the Science side (including Kuroko and Mikoto), but my overarching complaint for the entire show still stands: the show kinda just jumps around between mini-stories and there's no overall plot nor focus. I'm more accepting of that now since it finally occurred to me that the world is for the most part quite peaceful, although a little messed up, with a structured and peaceful Academy City that has sort of agreed to tranquilly coexist with the English Purist Church.

The arc itself spoiler[was sort of bland, although it has a few more awesome moments than all the other arcs. The new character, Hyouka, is basically another Himegami, who I didn't like anyway, except with a different hair color and glasses. She's the lonely neglected "secret weapon" type girl who is, well, lonely and neglected and isn't afraid to show it. The villain was pretty standard and the show seemed to basically give her a sob-story excuse to attack the city so she wouldn't seem like a total jerk. Also, the whole deal with that secret city wasn't very well explained and the whole arc seemed to beg a second season with the whole secret city deal as well as the upside down white haired guy's plan.]

There were a few awesome moments in this arc though. spoiler[First, I loved when Index meets Biribiri for the first time and within a minute, both decided that Touma was a huge player. Also, Index's attempted fight against the golem was extremely awesome, and one of the coolest parts in the entire show for me.]

Well, this show could use a second season, but there's already Railgun so there's not much chance of that happening. Oh well.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
rail gun would not be a second season to the first one.
This is one of the anime, I loved!
well there are many i enjoy but this one I would like to see Funimation or Bandai-ent get a crack at in the future.

Hope there is more.

the manga is good as well.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So are you guys ready for To Aru Majutsu no Index Season 2?!! Ready for what's-her-face still be somewhat a background character of her own show, and Touma using his Imagine Breaker (or verbal speeches) to "deus ex machina" his way against all supernatural foes?! Surprised

But seriously, now that the first season covered most of the beginning novels which were more or less decent despite pacing issues, I would imagine the plot start to pick up and this cold war between magic and science will come into fruition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 32